[Done for V0.45] Custom introductions movies to dungeons

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
andyboy_uk
On Master

[Done for V0.45] Custom introductions movies to dungeons

Post by andyboy_uk »

Hi George,

Sorry to keep throwing these suggestions at you but hey, whats this forum for eh.

I was thinking, for those people who are making their own dungeons, a little "View Intro" button could be quite nice. All it has to be is a slide show of images that the user can put it (maybe a little music too if possible) that are displayed to a player to give them a jist of the story of that dungeon.

These images could be defined in an [Intro] section but should not be required to make the dungeon work, and if RTC does not find them then the intro button on the entrance door is not displayed to the player.

For those people who are creative with their dungeons, it would be kind of cool for them to be able to put a story to the game to add to teh atmosphere.

Like I say though, just a small slideshow of images and maybe a little background music, nothing too flash like animation or film. A nice fade effect between slides (and of course the ability to skip - in case it is 50 slides long and taking forever).

Just an idea,

Thoughts anyone.
Regards,

Andy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Oooh, yeah, that's a really good idea! Perhaps it could support an MPEG or AVI file, or even SWF (Flash). I know that Cow was working on a CSB animation, and this feature would be a perfect way to display it: much better to integrate it into the engine than just give people a file that they have to play outside of the game. This could be a really cool way of giving each new dungeon it's own unique setup and atmosphere... great stuff! :D
Last edited by Gambit37 on Fri May 09, 2003 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Yes, and as I keep saying, pleeaaaaasssseee!!!!! It has to be possible to add the intro & ending movies from FTL-DM and CSB!!! I mean, I know that the Grafix are crap by today standards, but they belong to the game, and as long no one has taken the effort of redrawing them, it's certainly better to have them instead of just nothing except the GreyLord briefly saying "Thanx!". Besides I just love that CSB-intro I remember from Amiga, Chaos busy with building traps, you know (That's kinda visualization of what an RTC-Dungeon-Designer is doing)!!

Since I have suggested this many times before without much response, what ARE the problems with this?
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Sorry Lunever, didn't know that you already suggested this, but I stand by that it could be a very nice little addition.

Ta
Regards,

Andy
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Gambit, weren't you going to add the orriginal CSB intro? I thought you had worked it out with George.

Anyway, yes I would love to see this in there. I've been hoping and asking a while though. That and many other things.

Animation, alphachannels, and the like. I think if such things were used sparringly. They would be good and wouldn't slow things down.. or shouldn't anyway.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I was, but it kind of what on the back-burner, like so many other things... Not a lot of point though if RTC doesn't support it. If such support is ever added, I'll certainly go back and make the CSB animation. :)
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

As an addition, you could have a trigger on an item that starts a cutscene that has been defined, then when you are walking thru a dungeon and you get to a certain bit, a little animation could start (while the game is effectivley paused) and when it is finished or skipped, the game resumes.

:)

Imagine walking into a big hall and then have an animation of a dragon creeping up behind you that the player doesnt see, and when they turn around the same tile has put a dragon a couple of squares behind them or something.

That could be really cool.

AVI/MPEG files? or some kind of free video format that is easily edited?
Regards,

Andy
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Done for V0.45

(well, not AVI / MPEG videos, but you can now have a slideshow intro like CSB does)