[Done for V0.47] Removing party members

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

[Done for V0.47] Removing party members

Post by linflas »

if it hasn't already been proposed :
- when a party member dies, if you resurrect/reincarnate someone else from a mirror, he will take the dead one's position (if it's set to TRUE in MAIN variables i guess)
- vi altar won't work on the previous dead guy bones, except if there's room for him.
- a button somewhere in Mophus' inventory or some trigger that produces something like this : "Linflas says : Mophus ! i don't like your scary smile ! you're fired !",and he disappears from the game with all his possessions saying something like "All right, but you'll regret my precious mana !" and a final coloured text saying "Mophus has left the party".
- customized mirror action name : "resurrect" can become "enroll" if you meet a standing up character instead of a mirror for example. "Hey Mophus ! welcome back !" followed by "Mophus joined the party".
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

I would also like to see that implemented.

Best would be if a dead character's bones could be put back into the mirror he was resurrected from. Since the game does have saved all characters stats in the mirrors anyway, the mirror values should be just replaced with the character's current stat maximums. That way the dungeon wouldn't get any bigger even if hundreds of dead characters had been used up.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Lunever wrote:Since the game does have saved all characters stats in the mirrors anyway
That's a very rash assumption to make without knowing the internal data format for RTC...

...and as it happens, wrong too!

For your amusement, and as the txt file format suggests, the character data is held centrally and both the mirrors and party just have pointers to the character. All of which makes the suggestion of putting the characters back into the mirror even easier.

However, it's not that simple. For example, such a mirror would be the ultimate training aid (gain a few early levels, kill them off, put them back into the mirror, reincarnate and repeat lots). So to avoid abuse of that, you'd want to have the "resurrect only" option (a useful idea in its own right) as well as the "accepts bones" property for mirrors.

Anyway, all of that isn't to say that this isn't a good idea or won't get done, but it's not quite as straightforward as it first seems.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Well, I think an implementation with a ressurrect only in order to avoid endless reincarnation loops would be just fine.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

If you can replace party members, that could also give the option for a designer to include secret or unlockable characters.

For example you could create a mini-quest to find some valuable item, which can then be used (at the right location) to activate a teleporter which would take you to another room with a mirror, containing a powerful character with a unique item or something.

Of course you wouldn't be able to get this new character at the start of the game, but if you had the ability to swap party members during gameplay you don't have to worry about it.
L!ghthouse
Craftsman

Post by L!ghthouse »

I also support this idea. I can think of some great uses for this in a dungeon I am curently designing.
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

George Gilbert wrote: However, it's not that simple. For example, such a mirror would be the ultimate training aid (gain a few early levels, kill them off, put them back into the mirror, reincarnate and repeat lots). So to avoid abuse of that, you'd want to have the "resurrect only" option (a useful idea in its own right) as well as the "accepts bones" property for mirrors.
The "Stasis Pod" style mirrors from DM2 sound useful for that. Place bones in an open Pod to revive the person, the pod can be re-opened anytime but the character can't be reincarnated.
Tonari
Craftsman

Post by Tonari »

It agrees with the idea that can return the mirror the character.
Advancing in the dungeon while exchanging the characters might be interesting.
You will not give the item to the character of the mirror in the dungeon that used the system.
Everything will be deprived by the player. :) [/quote]
Please forgive poor English.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Done for V0.47
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

billions of thanks George !!!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

And having had a sneak peek at the new code for adding and removing members, I can tell you it's sweeeeeeeeeeeet! :D Lots of possibilities here.... :D