[Not a bug] DM2 Pit Puzzle In Wolf Area

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
DraconicMajesty
Apprentice

[Not a bug] DM2 Pit Puzzle In Wolf Area

Post by DraconicMajesty »

In Dungeon Master 2, the pit puzzle in the wolf-infested area outside Skullkeep doesn't appear to work properly. You can move a rock under a pit to try and get at the stuff on the other side of the pit, but you just fall through, into the square occupied by the rock - step off that square and look back, and there's the rock you pushed and pulled into place!

I get a feeling there's a simple solution, a variable not properly set or something, but the "ground level" pit graphics don't update to suggest the pit is "disabled" either.

It's not a "game killer", and it doesn't stop you progressing, but it would be nice if you could complete ALL the puzzles. Great work in any case - I never imagined I'd get another chance to beat DM2...!
Beat: DM, CSB, EOB, EOB2, EOB3, Black Crypt, Captive, Hired Guns...
...show-off.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Interesting - I never knew that you could cross the pits that way in the original game!

There are at least 2 other ways that do work in RTC that you can use to get the items though :wink:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ah, upi know I don't think I test ed this...yes, if you push a rock down a pit it blocks the pit....it's quite bit in the deeper skullkeep reaches below dru-tal or whatevre his name is
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

beowuuf wrote:Ah, upi know I don't think I test ed this...yes, if you push a rock down a pit it blocks the pit....it's quite bit in the deeper skullkeep reaches below dru-tal or whatevre his name is
That bit definitely works (i.e pushing rocks down). I think the problem here is pushing rocks under...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Whew, so i did thest that bit...or something....

I'll double check that works in PC DM2 and get back to you
DraconicMajesty
Apprentice

These are BIG rocks you push and pull around in a cave UNDER the pits. This is in the wolf area with all the mud patches, and there's a ladder down into the cave, where there are FUL BRO KU Strength potions that make moving the boulders possible.

Using the RTC editor to view the maps, the ladder is at 53,7,7 (local/offset), that leads down to 29,5,8 (local), 52,8,8(offset), if that helps.
...show-off.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Anyway, I checked it, and in PC DM2 at least this doens't work at all - when you walk over the pit you fall down, though you move the rock out of the way, but you don't step over it

Unless there is some weird thing with having less characters or less weight, but nless you can give more information I think you are mis-remembering from the past
DraconicMajesty
Apprentice

It does look as though you're supposed to get past those pits, as there are coins on the other side, and there are several boulders in the cave below. It was quite some time - two PCs ago - since I first (and last) played DM2, and there's every chance that I never managed to get that puzzle solved.

It was definitely with a full party, with a decent amount of gear, that much I'm pretty sure of. I probably tried to block out a lot of my recollections of DM2 because of all the damn minions...

Now let me see if I can get this puzzle to work in the RTC Editor. I'll get in touch, and post a link to the "module", if I manage it.

Updated Wasn't going to edit the DM2 dungeon, was just going to see if I could replicate the situation...

Anyway, I spotted the bone in an alcove, and worked out the puzzle. I'm pretty sure I never spotted that back in the "good old days", hence the confusion.
Last edited by DraconicMajesty on Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...show-off.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

DraconicMajesty wrote:Now let me see if I can get this puzzle to work in the RTC Editor. I'll get in touch, and post a link to the "module", if I manage it.
Oh, it's trivial to change the dungeon to behave in the way you describe - just add a constant weight trigger operated by the boulder to the tile below the pit that toggles the pit state. The only query is whether it should be changed!

BTW - as I mentioned above, there are at least 2 other ways to get the coins behind the pits; neither of them involve the boulders and both can be done using any number of party members.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I wouldn't change the puzzle, since its not in original DM2 and also the boulders are too small to affect the pit (since the ones that can block the pits around dru tal's area don't obstruct the corridors underneath)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

*enters Pedant Mode*
Dru-Tan ;)
*exits Pedant Mode*

*hides*
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Don't worry, I'm too lazy to ban you : )