[Not a bug] differences orig & RTC

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
rob3034
Craftsman

[Not a bug] differences orig & RTC

Post by rob3034 »

to see whether RTC and orig DM compare to monsters, i started a game alongside each other (both RTC and orginal ST DM).

a few differences ive noticed.

light spells last nowhere near as long on the ST version as they do on RTC, on RTC a couple of level 1 light spells lasted the whole 2nd level, but i seem to be forever casting them on the ST version.

also...

sleeping. on the ST version it takes a long time to return the champions stats to full strengh, by which time its pitch black. on RTC sleep takes only a matter of seconds (perhaps this is why on level 3 with the worms i was able to sleep quickly before the worms attacked me??)

i will continue playing and watch out for other stuff.

rob
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The [not a bug] [fixed] tags are what GG puts to show if the item has been dealt with, people shouldn't put them on themselves

Don't even go there with sleeping btw, people have complained so much about the sleep time being too slow (it was way too much) on the previous versions, so much so one version was felt to be unplayable...

Also, you might find your emulated game is runnign slightly slower.... CSBwin sleeping is phenominally fast too and is also based on the ST version of the engine

The light issue seems to be raising it's head again, so perhaps the power of light spells and darkness spells is too great, hence the current complaints (rather than the entire lighting model as was suggested)

Keep posting, it is good to have fresh perspectives - as GG hismelf says, it is only meant to emulate the feel of DM though...if a weapon takes 47 swings not 46 swings to kill somehting, that's maybe to picky :)

The sleep thing is a good indicator, as is light, since it makes it sound like it makes the game too easy, but just be aware that there are many, many iterations (well, 43 plus quie a few betas) where items like stamina/mana regen, food, light and sleep have bounced back and forward
rob3034
Craftsman

Post by rob3034 »

ok, thanks.

Sorry about the "(not a bug)" thing. as i said im new RTC and the forum only joined yesterday.

yeah, i agree with you, taking for ever to sleep is a bore, RTC does make it a more 'playable game' rather than going to make a cuppa whilst your party sleeps!!! lol
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

no problem, just mentioning it with you because you are the second person to do it so thought it was worthwhile pointing out to anyone new reading the forums

You may find that lookign at the DM dungeon in the editor might spoil a few mysteries - the monster generators and when creatures get replaced for one!
rob3034
Craftsman

Post by rob3034 »

thats fine!!

yeah, i know what you mean!!! just looked at the orginal editor file, and seen now how all those monster used to appear all those years ago!!

i never realised you had to step on a specific square to generate a monster! suppose it was all secret 10 yrs ago.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

I'm sorely tempted to say this isn't a bug as it's consistent with your emulated ST running too fast (and no body else has seen it).

I'll keep my eyes out for any problems though...