[Fixed for V0.44] Reluctant monster AI

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Lunever
Grand Druid

[Fixed for V0.44] Reluctant monster AI

Post by Lunever »

Hmm, I didn't have much time in the recent weeks to play V0.43, but now that I started a game of high level O-DM I noticed that monsters seem to be a bit shy - especially worms seem to be unwilling to bite my characters more often than once in a while, just as if they were suffering from a permanent fear effekt, although I didn't use any fear. My characters might disagree with me in this, but I'd prefer worms fighting back.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
rob3034
Craftsman

Post by rob3034 »

yeah, this is what i posted yesterday. i found the worms to be "shy" too on the RTC Dm orginal
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

The monsters didn't behave like that when I last played through, I don't know anymore whether it's been V0.41 or V0.42.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

George: If you are interested, I have kept a savegame where I have cornered a water elemental without having used any fear attack and it does abloutely NOTHING to defend itself. Even fear-stricken foes fight back when cornered, but this one is one of many instances in my current game where monsters play sitting duck.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Yep - that would be great to look at; please forward it on!
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Done. You know, there is nothing worse monsters can do to an ambitious party of adventurers than behaving like Gandhi.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

That's great thankyou. Problem now fixed for V0.44 (there was an issue with the calculation of view ranges for monsters; even though it was standing next to you, it couldn't tell you were there, so didn't bother attacking).
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Hmmmmm. Since I did not yet have the time to play fully through DM2 after its release, and also never played completely through original DM2, I probably should rather wait for V0.44 or the short-sighted monsters might spoil the fun of beating Dragoth for the very first time.

If you are about, please make sure in V0.44 that the EFFECTIVE view range is approximately the same as in FTL-DM with average lighting, and not limited to FTL-DM basic range without any lighting. Maybe you have already considered this, but in some previous release monsters with low sight ranges like screamers and worms behaved extremely ineffective too, albeit not completely defenseless.
rob3034
Craftsman

Post by rob3034 »

george, to what degree have you 'fixed' this prob in the next version?

just completed level 3, at the end with the mummy and the worms on my test game.

obviously the version im playing V0.43 hasent got your 'fixed' monster AI implemented yet,

but on ST DM those worms at the end of the level are very very aggressive, they wont let you sleep, even running back quite a distance and round corners they wake you with their attacks and are on your tail until you kill them all, so it makes it much more difficult.

RTC (current version) you can easily sleep a few steps back, and the worms even run away and let you have a snooze. you can even sleep and return to full strengh with them all running around a few squares away.

also something ive noticed is that when the worms stay together in 2s this again makes it that much more difficult as they both attack you at the same time, in RTC you are only ever attacking one at a time as they split up from their pairs. :(
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

All that you describe is consistent with the bug in V0.43 that's now fixed for V0.44. The worms will have you next time :wink:
also something ive noticed is that when the worms stay together in 2s this again makes it that much more difficult as they both attack you at the same time, in RTC you are only ever attacking one at a time as they split up from their pairs.
Some you win, some you lose - it looks like with the worms you are lucky; in plenty of other cases, you're much worse off by the monsters splitting up because they can attack you from multiple sides at once and a fireball etc spell only attacks one of them at a time...
rob3034
Craftsman

Post by rob3034 »

George Gilbert wrote: Some you win, some you lose - it looks like with the worms you are lucky; in plenty of other cases, you're much worse off by the monsters splitting up because they can attack you from multiple sides at once and a fireball etc spell only attacks one of them at a time...
lol, ok!!

yeah thats true. :)