[Not a bug] No Scout Map?

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
bgates1654
Neophyte

[Not a bug] No Scout Map?

Post by bgates1654 »

This is weird. I could not find either scout map and the minion map. I am stuck on the level where you have to use the scout minion to block the ZO bolts to close the pit. You cant seem to run across real quick nor do attack minons seem to work for blocking purposes. What are my options? In the meantime... I am gonna try out Conflux.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I assume you are playing RTC, in which case there are no minion or scout maps there, but there is an alternate solutions....just like the tempest pit people would usually use a porter minion on...
Walter Mitty
Novice

Post by Walter Mitty »

I am stuck on the level where you have to use the scout minion to block the ZO bolts to close the pit.
I got past this with OH IR ROS. Just have it ready to cast, step back onto the switch and then step forward and cast the spell. You just have to time your taps on the keys right.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

As long as RTC does not feature the advanced maps, maybe it should use the map spells from CSB.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
bgates1654
Neophyte

Post by bgates1654 »

I dont think the porter minion spell works in RTC DM2. Its Zo Ew Ros right?

I will have to give it a try with the spped spell, thanks.

Oh BTW Conflux III is friggin hard!! I decided to try out Reactor while I let my frustration drain away.

Hmm, not a lot of food in reactor or maybe I missed something. I could use 4 steaks right about now. Also the reflection direction selection puzzledoesnt seem to work. The fireballs just pass through the fields, even though thrown objects follow the corrrect path.
Walter Mitty
Novice

Post by Walter Mitty »

I dont think the porter minion spell works in RTC DM2.
The spell isn't active in the RTC version. Even if it were, there is no map currently to direct the minion with. I don't know how difficult it would be to create one in RTC as I haven't really looked at it. I've just found ways around using the minion map. The porter minion shouldn't be too difficult to make on its own.

I also wondered why the guard minion wasn't doing anything when I know I remembered it attacking, so I checked and it has no attacks listed in its creature file.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Watch out for reactor, it was released waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back and we believe there is a few backwards compatibility issues such as spell opby s etc : (

Try Surgical Strike - as long as you can map ok in your head it's fun!
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Re: No Scout Map?

Post by George Gilbert »

bgates1654 wrote:This is weird. I could not find either scout map and the minion map. I am stuck on the level where you have to use the scout minion to block the ZO bolts to close the pit. You cant seem to run across real quick nor do attack minons seem to work for blocking purposes. What are my options?
There are several options; none of which require a scout or minion map...

It's meant to be a puzzle, so I won't tell you what the possibilities are here (though you might get more of a response on the DM-II forum :wink: )

BTW; this is a general point about DM-II compared to DM/CSB. In the original game there was usually (always?) only one way to solve a puzzle, but in DM-II there were often 3 or 4 ways to achieve the same effect.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

bgates1654 wrote:Also the reflection direction selection puzzledoesnt seem to work. The fireballs just pass through the fields, even though thrown objects follow the corrrect path.
This doesn't work on new versions of RTC. Reactor was released some 20 versions ago (seriously!) and there's a lot that has broken in the meantime, unfortunately. :(
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Maybe we should start doing this sort of thing CSBWin-like: Make downloads available that do use the RTC version that was originally used to create the dungeon, along with only the dungeon in question as a default module, without any other default dungeons in order to minimize download size (the other default dungeons are already updated to the latest build after all). Of course you would not be able to import characters from newer game version into such a module, but most people don't import into custom dungeons anyway, and its certainly better than losing all these fine dungeons to release changes.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Well no, because then no one is making sure these dungeons can work under the newest engine, and there will be reasons these engines are superceded (unlike CSBwin which were engine enhancement versions).
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Um, but currently the problem IS that almost no one makes sure that these dungeons can work under the newest engine anyway, right?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

But we know they don't when people play them...eh, I could dig out the old versions, I have them on my HD if they are needed

Think about somehting complied for v0.33 / 34 though - the sleep recovery rate makes it unplayable...so is it worth playign it under the correct version anyway, or is it worth checking it out under the newest engine and reporting bugs if they happen.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

That is my point - even though such bugs are reported occassionally, still most of the times old dungeons ar not updated.