[Not a bug] light levels increasing

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
rob3034
Craftsman

[Not a bug] light levels increasing

Post by rob3034 »

I hope no-one is going to bite my head off!!, i have searched the RTC bugs forum and i cant see anything about this so.....

On level 5 (the one with all the wizard eyes), everyso often the light levels increase so the light level is too high (in that the walls are bright and get whiter). WITHOUT me doing any light spells, so i do a level 1 darkness spell which seems to return it to normal, only to find 5mins later the same happens again!

rob
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

you were close to being banned but that is a new bug... as you were : )
rob3034
Craftsman

Post by rob3034 »

lol, I did my best to search for it, before posting :)
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Re: light levels increasing

Post by George Gilbert »

rob3034 wrote:On level 5 (the one with all the wizard eyes), everyso often the light levels increase so the light level is too high (in that the walls are bright and get whiter). WITHOUT me doing any light spells,
Interesting; does it just get bright for a second or so, or brighter for a long period of time (i.e. until you cast a darkness spell)?
rob3034 wrote:so i do a level 1 darkness spell which seems to return it to normal, only to find 5mins later the same happens again!
Given the first part, that bit is expected (i.e. as your darkness spell wears off, it returns to being slightly over-bright).
rob3034
Craftsman

Post by rob3034 »

thanks for replying george.

I see what you mean about the darkness spell "wearing off".

But yeah it does stay bright until i cast the darkness spell, then gets brighter again, so i cast another darkness spell and so on......

if this is the case how can i get it to "stay darker"!!?

also while im on the subject (not sure if youve had this raised before), but i havent had to cast a single light spell since about level 2 (im now on level 7) it just seems to stay light and get lighter!!! without casting light spells

not once has the dungeon plunged into darkness.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Hmm, I guess it is a bug. I assume you are not weraing tons of burning torches, and you are not accidentally casting light spells by chain-firing fireballs with shortcut keys (this occassionally accidentally produces light spells if Mana is to low for another Ir-syllable).

Apropos: While I generally like the fluent behaviour of light for most dungeons, I absolutely dislike that there is still no way of emulating original FTL-DM light behaviour (with a maximum light level) when playing the O-DM dungeon. A very simple solution for this might be to simply introduce an optional MAXLIGHT parameter into the dungeon module, that dungeon designers might utilize (that would be set accordingly for the O-DM dungeon file).
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

rob3034 wrote:also while im on the subject (not sure if youve had this raised before), but i havent had to cast a single light spell since about level 2 (im now on level 7) it just seems to stay light and get lighter!!! without casting light spells
Now that *is* interesting.

Can you send me your save game file, and I'll have a look at what's going on under the covers?
rob3034
Craftsman

Post by rob3034 »

ok, george. i will try and "find" it!!!

where do you want me to send it?
Last edited by rob3034 on Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I know the original CSB engine had a bug, where the light level remained if you viewed a character in the mirror then came out without selecting them, and of course it wouldn't fade out not being a timed effect

Is there anything that could cause a similar fault?
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

George Gilbert wrote:
rob3034 wrote:also while im on the subject (not sure if youve had this raised before), but i havent had to cast a single light spell since about level 2 (im now on level 7) it just seems to stay light and get lighter!!! without casting light spells
Now that *is* interesting.

Can you send me your save game file, and I'll have a look at what's going on under the covers?
Well, the save game file shows that you have approximately 20 full strength light spells running (or it's equivalent, say 40 half strength etc), and that they're slowly running out (as opposed to *gaining* strength).

Are you sure you're not casting light spells by accident?

Assuming not, can you play on for a bit, and then send me another save game so I can compare before and after and see how the light has changed?
rob3034
Craftsman

Post by rob3034 »

ok, thanks george. but i am almost certain that i have not cast any light spells!