[Not a bug] flooritem (and probably other stuff) shading

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

[Not a bug] flooritem (and probably other stuff) shading

Post by linflas »

i found this one when i made a teleporter that transports you from the land level with light greyblue shading to the forest level with black shading.
i made a grass flooritem that is used into both levels.
when i teleport into the forest, the grass keep the light greyblue shading color.
then i tried with a rock flooritem. if i "see" it in the land, and then go to the forest, it keeps the light greyblue shading too.
other flooritems in the forest have a black shading, because they weren't seen in the land...
THOM
Artisan

Post by THOM »

could it be that, after teleporting the shade-pixel isn't refreshed but taken from the old wallset you are coming from?
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

yes it seems, but only on flooritems that have been displayed before.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Hmmm - that is actually working as intended.

The issue is that flooritems are specified by *actual* bitmaps for each scaling (as opposed to, say monsters, which only have a single bitmap and the engine scales and shades it).

Your flooritem is (presumably) making use of the auto-scaling feature for floor bitmaps. When the bitmap is scaled then it becomes an *actual* bitmap (which is logically completely independent of the original). The problem comes when you change areas to a differently shaded one at which point the engine *shouldn't* re-shade your bitmap (because it is a bitmap that you've specified).

The way to get around this is simply to have two different objects, one for use in each shading area - BTW this is what DM-II does for things like the stone table and mud in the graveyard / thicket areas...
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

all right, i plan to use only 2 shade colors for the whole story.
i only have to duplicate grass and rocks at the moment, so that's not a big problem.