[Not a bug] Dragon Spit again

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Lunever
Grand Druid

[Not a bug] Dragon Spit again

Post by Lunever »

Dragon Spit still not functioning in V0.43. As discussed in some older threads it shoud have a SPIT attack that shoots formidable fireballs.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I thought it was meant to have a CONSUME attack that practically "eats" fireballs, and you can only SPIT them out once it was loaded. Does that work Lunever?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

No, that's only surgical strike... spit is the attack buried in the DM code
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Interesting. I think I remember Sophia telling me that this was the way it was supposed to be in the original DM, but that it was taken out for being too powerful.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Re: Dragon Spit again

Post by George Gilbert »

Lunever wrote:Dragon Spit still not functioning in V0.43. As discussed in some older threads it shoud have a SPIT attack that shoots formidable fireballs.
Not a bug - as discussed in some older threads it *shouldn't* have a SPIT attack that shoots formidable fireballs. RTC is working exactly as the original did :wink:

As sophia has done in SS though, it is perfectly possible to make a fully functioning dragon spit in a custom RTC dungeon if you want to, but it shouldn't be included in the default DM dungeon (because it makes the party virtually invincible against the demons / dragon and therefore too powerful a weapon and unbalances the game play for the final levels).
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Trantor wrote:Interesting. I think I remember Sophia telling me that this was the way it was supposed to be in the original DM, but that it was taken out for being too powerful.
Whether this is how it was intended by the coders, I have no clue... this is the functionality alluded to by the "Secrets of Dungeon Mastery" hintbook however. (A rather fun hintbook I might add, because it's also got lots of little story bits, though they really are rather contrived to fit the DM gameplay...)
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Ok, I just thought it should be in there because of

http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 2755#62755)

and

http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... light=spit

Maybe a good compromise would be to just give it a rather normal fireball attack similar to the Fury.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

As I mentioned before, I think it's correct the way it is. This is because that's the way the original game is; the designers (probably) deliberately removed the spit attack rather than it being a bug that it's missing.

BTW; it's not that it's difficult for me to do (in fact, it's only a couple of lines of code to do and would take less than a minute to get working), it's that I don't think it should be there. As sophia has shown in her custom dungeon, it's easy for anyone else to do as well if you want such a weapon in a DM+ dungeon.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

It may well be that FTL delibrately removed it. But, it may also be that they did not have the time to replace it by something else. I mean, you have there a magical item like the dragon spit, it grants you 5 Mana, which is good compared to lesser wands, and all you can do with this wand is to use it as an inferior baseball club? I think it probably should not be the all-powerful fireball-absorber, but you should be able to do SOMETHING with it beyond a mere swing option. That's why I suggest adding a simple fireball attack with limited charges, like the Fury.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I was hoping to have got a definitive answer about some of the unassigned items in the game, or the stuff that's only available by hacking.

All I have in my notes from Andy Jaros is "There are many items that are in the code but not implemented due to time or space. I highly recommend http://dmweb.free.fr for all of the images and names of these lost items."

And from Doug Bell: "There were also some objects with no use, that might be one of them…or not. Mostly these were just things that we never got around to. We created a large number of objects as raw material to work from and then created a dungeon from them and added special capabilities to some. Some never made it into the dungeon (mostly by accident) and others never got useful attributes or abilities assigned."

Best I can do I'm afraid!