[Fixed for V0.44] fireballs

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
rob3034
Craftsman

[Fixed for V0.44] fireballs

Post by rob3034 »

its me again moaning about the differences between RTC and ST DM :D

fire ball effect on RTC level one fire ball against a wall with halk character is 21, sometimes 22.

on ST DM its 2.5 times that at 52/53 ish?!!!

same place and everything.....
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The thing is what you should be doing is noting this value to start, then nothing this value when halk is really advanced for all this stiuff

There is no point in GG changing the stats for the start point if that knocks everything by the end and fireball is really wimpy or too powerful (instant kill dragon)

The damage calculations may be different, the fire resistance, luck etc...it's not as simple as just 'fireballs are too powerful

You really need to take alot of readings then say what is wrong, not just one small experiment that could have multiple conclusions! As has been warned before, RTC has gone through soooo many iterations because of stuff liek this...playing with light, spell damage, etc may be needed, but it should be well documented what the actual problem is (if there is one, again everything may end up even further down the line) unless you want five versions of RTC later just to resolve it by 'feel' where backwards compatibility issues and bugs spring up
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Just echoing beowuufs post. Whilst it is certainly very useful to know that something is wrong with the fireball damage, at the moment I don't know what so am unable to change anything.

The two major factors into the damage are the strength of the fireball and the anti-fire attribute of the character. If you imagine a graph with strength up one side and anti-fire up the other, RTC needs to have a value for every single point in that area.

You've (helpfully) found that one single point on that area is out (and so something needs changing), but it's not necessarily true that every point on the graph is (and so it's not clear what needs changing). Although it's not necessary to find every point in the graph (there are 1500 of them after all!) if you could find a handful of them then that would be very helpful.

For example damage done for all 6 powers of fireball with anti-fire values of 30, 50, 80, 128 and 255 (so 30 values) would give sufficient information to work out what the "correct" fire damage should be in any circumstance.
rob3034
Craftsman

Post by rob3034 »

yeah i understand what you are saying. I appreciate it is a lot more complicated than just what i have said about a single fireball.

In the experiement with the fireball damage i tested the halk character had anti-magic of 40 and anti fire of 52 (ST DM and RTC were the same). I maybe will try a more detailed experiment, obviously making sure that in both games things are exactly the same and try and get the 30 values you said.
at the moment both games are almost a complete mirror image of each other (ie im doing exactly the same things on both together, and all character are the same in the same positions).

thankyou
rob3034
Craftsman

Post by rob3034 »

also, do you know what causes the anti-fire value to increase in a character? are there any potions to increase it?
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

There are no potions for anti-fire and anti-magic like for str/dex/wis/vit in either game. There is of course the fireshield FulBroNeta. On contrary to FTL-DM in RTC the YaBro potion does what FTL's adventurer's hintbook says it should do - create a spellshield for 1 character, similar to what the theowand does for the entire party (in FTL it only creates a one-character YaIr-effect).

In either game fireshield only protects against fireballs incl. Ful-bombs and black flame attacks, it does not protect against any other spells, that means it does not protect against lightning explosions. The spellshield on the other hand reduces damage inflicted by lightning and poison, incl. poison bolts and clouds.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I still don't see why the hint book should be truer than the final released game though!
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Because it has been published by FTL, and at a later time than the game?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I assume it would have been rushed out by the publishers, so the draft would have contained regerences to before the released game of things not completed though...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Lunever's right: the hint guide was written after the game -- totally different to the way things are done now...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Then why the mistake? Any clues?
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Clues - no. Educated guesses - yes.

I suspect that the YaBro-potion was intended to be a spellshield potion and only by accident adresses the physical shield, because a physical shield potion is of little use in the face of the YaIr spell. It is still less comfortable than the party spellshield created by the Theowand, but at least it does have some use.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

No more than why would you carry around ful bombs if you can cast ful ir ... I usually find unless I rest and then attack I odn't have nearly enugh mana to cast ya ir and keep up vi potions etc in a toe to toe fight... it's emergency defense really for when you get caught by surprise of get caught in a protracted attack )say with a golem)

Never used it personally, but then never use half the spells!
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Well, of course most situations can be done without bombs - yet I do use them. I keep all bombs as well as all magical boxes for the demons. While they are frozen I throw all bombs collected at them because all Mana and all berzerk attacks I can do within the time freeze are not enough to kill off all of them.
Tonari
Craftsman

Post by Tonari »

YA BRO was a potion of a physical shield before.
However, it thinks details of item not to be able to make it after it comes to be revokable.
I think the effect of the potion to have been changed for that.
Because there is no parameter that shows a physical defense in the bonus tag of item.

It is necessary to put the relay on the dungeon for that though it is possible if additional action is used.
To distribute the power level according to the level of magic.
It will not be a too good way of making that needs the relay from which item of default is put on the dungeon.

At any rate, the potion of a physical shield can be made from the custom dungeon.
However, it might be difficult to make it as long as the specification of RTC is not changed in an original dungeon.
As for George, is it scheduled to be changed in the future?
Please forgive poor English.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

I hope RTC will not change this well established detail (its been there for quite a number of releases). It didn't seem to bother anyone in regard to gameplay until that topic coincidentally came up recently.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

OK; I've done a bit of experimentation with the anti-fire attribute and it seems a little out. Not by enough to account for the entire 2.5 times difference this post started off talking about, but about 1.5-2.0 times for low level characters.

I've adjusted the anti-fire model for V0.44 so it gives a better fit to the original game.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

*puts head under pillow incase this knocks high end charatcers or custom charatcers or cusotm spells in unforeseen ways*
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

I've done some quick checks across the board and it doesn't seem too far out at the higher levels.

Forget the pillow, I've got the whole duvet to hide under... :wink:
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

The only thing that worries me a little is that some custom dungeons, in which the characters are liable to cop a fireball or two early doors, might become too deadly.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

*gives des a pillow*

Don't eat it all at once!