[Fixed for V0.44] Editor won't let counters be negative

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

[Fixed for V0.44] Editor won't let counters be negative

Post by Parallax »

More an annoyance than anything else, but when creating a counter within RTCEditor, the program won't allow the counter to be set to a negative value. The field only takes positive integers. If the file is modified by a text editor to force a negative value however, the editor will then read the file without a problem. If one examines the counter in the editor at that point, the setting field will display a positive value that corresponds to the unsigned value of the signed value imported (4292967295 for -1, for instance.)

Possibly, changing the type of number displayed and taken in the setting field in the RTC editor from an unsigned long integer to a signed long integer would solve the problem?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Out of interest why are you using a negative number? They are suppoerted by usually mean you have missed the zero and are accelerating downwards without getting back again
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

Well if you must know I have a series of triggers that deactivate items, and I want something to happen when all items are deactivated. To this effect, I have set a counter to keep track of how many items have been deactivated. This means that I need the trigger to deactivate itself as well so I don't risk it being triggered several times and throwing the count off. By starting with a negative counter and deactivating my way to 0, I get the effect I wnt with a single trigger and three targets (itself, the item, and the counter.)

I could do this with 'toggle' instead of 'deactivate', if not but the fact that I want to be able to reset the puzzle at will, and on the second use (with trigger and object reactivated) there is no telling what 'toggle' would do to the counter. Hence the negative counter set. There, now you know everything.

Also, my items are flooritems, I have a whole bunch of them and relays are wallitems. Oh my the hairy headache if I had to use relays!
Tonari
Craftsman

Post by Tonari »

If the relay is used as you have already noticed, negative need not be counted.

However, there might be a person who thinks that it wants to display a negative at the beginning number in the wall or the scroll.
Please forgive poor English.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Fixed for V0.44