[Fixed for V0.44] Lighting bolts

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
rob3034
Craftsman

[Fixed for V0.44] Lighting bolts

Post by rob3034 »

Hi George, really pleased you updated V0.44 with the fireballs! :)

If you have any spare time i think you should look at the 'lightning bolt' and 'poison cloud' spells model, as this again is quite different in ST DM and RTC DM.
I could do it myself but im useless at all this editing and stuff.

I couldnt work out why it seemed so difficult to fight against wizard eyes on RTC, they wiped me out with 1 or 2 lightning bolts, so lightning bolts are stronger on RTC than on ST DM.

and clouds of poison spells in RTC DM are much less effective than in ST DM.

i did search through and see there are a couple of people in earlier posts experiencing the same thing.

many thanks
rob :wink:
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Just to point out - I havn't changed anything about the fireballs; their strength and the damage they do to monsters is exactly the same as before (this was tested extensively a long time ago). All I've done is alter the anti-fire attributes of the party members (so the damage done to the party by a fireball *is* changed).

At the same time, I've also changed the anti-magic model (to use an identical internal formula as the anti-fire); hopefully this will give the appropriate change to the lightning bolts for V0.44, although it will require a few iterations no doubt to get it right.
rob3034
Craftsman

Post by rob3034 »

i see wht you mean, i guest if you'd have increase the fireball "power" then you would have had to go and change *all* the creatures healths and stuff?!!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Why would he change the creatures' health scores? They will be the same as DM :roll:
rob3034
Craftsman

Post by rob3034 »

are they? thought they were 'made up'?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

He made up the mechanics from the top of his head...as he was the person who wrote DMute though, then he had the means to look at the dungeon itself and see where monsters were, where iems were, and health ststs, etc

I shudder to think what number of iterations we would have been on, and how long forum threads would have been, if those sort of stats and items were also the subjet to debate

I thought the dragon died with 1500 health, no, i am sure it was only 500, i sweeeear i rememberthat from 10 years ago, etc wasn't there two helath potions in that chest...

Bugger, speaking of which there is somehting i shoudl be testing just now : (
rob3034
Craftsman

Post by rob3034 »

lol, ok!!! george suprised me in some of my other posts, and said that he 'made up' certain things.

I wasnt to know he had all the orginal stats and stuff.

:oops:

sorry beo, if im getting you "annoyed", jst havent been around the forums for as long as you and its been 10yrs since i even though of dungeon master leave alone played it.

just abit "out of touch" with things.....
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You aren't to know...though if you read the front page and the enclyclopaedia a little I'm sure you can get up to speed

If you are starting to look at CSBwin and get into editing, you should also check out ADGE on the editors and tools forum. Quite a powerful tool to alter graphics and item abilities, or even just to nose around and see the stats of items and creatures in original DM/CSB
rob3034
Craftsman

Post by rob3034 »

ok thanks :D
danielcg
Apprentice

Post by danielcg »

I discussed about lightning and poison difference in RTC General and I am surprised that George Gilbert is going to fix lightning and poison difference as well as fireball powers. Now it should be balanced in Version 0.44!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You shouldn't be surprised, poison clouds, effects etc were only discussed a few versions ago and tweaked

You see, you say 'fix' and 'balance' but really, it's subjective so I don't imagine the issue will be quite dead yet! Anyway, it's all part of getting RTC feeling right I suppose