[Not a bug] characters returning to normal positions

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
rob3034
Craftsman

[Not a bug] characters returning to normal positions

Post by rob3034 »

when your party is attacked from the side (or back), the party members turn to face the monster.

in RTC once turned they stay in that postion until you move them back.

in ST DM after a certain period of time (not sure now long) they turn back to the 'facing front' position.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

In RTC they will turn to face front if you have them cast a spell - so you can't accidentally nuke yourself in the face if the Fireball-caster is facing a wall ;).
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Yep - that's all a deliberate difference (as opposed to a bug). You can also turn your characters manually by right clicking on them...
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

It's a good thing that RTC prevents accidental self-nuking, but, on the other hand, you do not have the capability to shoot in all 4 directions like in FTL. Maybe a small button in the middle of the four character positions could be implemented to switch between these two turning behaviours?
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You could never shoot in all four directions in DM, you always shot in front

Spell firing forces you forward as it did in DM, but it's just you don't have a natural time when you trn back

I still wished, in addition to manual turning, there could be a locking mode so you can always be facing a certain way so if surrounded, your charatcers aren't spinning around on a whim of who hit them last (so you waste time splitting damage)
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

On the other hand, having a character react to an attack is quite realistic.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yes, but then 17 chests taking up more space than 17 daggers would also be mroe realistic : )

Seriously, party tactics and a well trained adventurer would surely dictate that they follow the party order you set - so if you have two people trained on the front rank, then one shouldn't just turn at the last second and deal damage to the side...or if you have the two fighters dealing with seperate opponents, also annoyign if the side one turns to the front and leaves an opponent getting in a free hit before he goes back to doing his job

If i have to control a bunch of morons who are goign to spin aroudn and attack the ghost they can't damage instead of the mummy they can. for instance, then what's the use! Chaos has won! OWn i tells you!

*cough*

I'm better now ; )