Add bitmap export option to RTC Editor

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
danielcg
Apprentice

Add bitmap export option to RTC Editor

Post by danielcg »

While I was able to extract from original DM's GRAPHICS.DAT file, the result is 50% of RTC and also 8 bit palette which I must convert to RGB format and scaled by 2x.

I like to have RTC Editor have "Bitmap Export" option so when I view default bitmaps in RTC Editor, I just click "Export bitmap" and choose path and filename to be saved as PNG or BMP file so I can edit it through Paint Shop Pro or Corel Photo Paint X3. All default bitmaps are stored in GRAPHICx.DAT file and belong to George Gilbert and there is no way for me to export selected images from this file.

If George Gilbert don't know how to compress (instead of decompress) PNG, just add export to BMP instead. I can easily convert BMP to PNG through photo editors.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I hate to tell you this, but GG has moved all the export bitmap suggestions before into the archive...don't know why...there must be A Reason....
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

The reason is that it's takes a finite amount of effort for virtually no gain.

As has been pointed out on other threads, you can just hit the print screen button and paste the output into Paint or whatever...

If you can give me an answer as to why I should spend several hours of my time to save you a few seconds I'll do it, but should warn you that I havn't heard a convincing argument yet :wink:
danielcg
Apprentice

Post by danielcg »

Thanks for George Gilbert' information. Do not worry about this since I already got all via extract from original DM GRAPHICS.DAT file, then convert to RGB format (24 bit) and scale by 2x. So therefore, I don't need to export from RTC graphics file. I just simply suggesting export function but it is not high priority right now since I already found how to "extract" rather than "export".

Also, I found pure magneta is treated as "transparent" color by RTC and RTC Editor; this is workaround because my Corel PSP XI will not support alpha channel(s) for PNG format.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

'power pink' as we like to call it : )
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Some bitmaps that are 33% scaled aren't rippable now. Funny things also happen to the color of the captured image if your desktop is 16 bits.

Does that make it worth it? I don't know. I'd use this feature. The cumulative time spent in capturing, cutting, ripping, and so on, is probably more than it'd take to code it.

If you don't want to code it, I'd be happy to do it.
MitchB1990
Artisan

Post by MitchB1990 »

Please do Sophia that would save a large amount of time.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

MitchB1990 wrote:Please do Sophia that would save a large amount of time.
I'd be happy to. Unfortunately, it's not my decision.
George Gilbert wrote:If you can give me an answer as to why I should spend several hours of my time to save you a few seconds I'll do it, but should warn you that I havn't heard a convincing argument yet
The argument is: You don't have to. I'll do it.

Your turn.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

how about an action in photoshop :P onthe exported images from the ripper.

you do the first one by hand while recording the actions and then set it to a hotkey.. if you add the save feature and close window.. all you have to do is load them all at once and hit a single button. nothing easier than that

If anyone wants to know the steps for that I can share.. or Gambit could too I'm sure.. you could also replace the background colour used with the power pink as part of the action.. but you need to be specific about which ones you do it to with each action because some use different colours as their colour 0
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

maybe you could create an .atn file with all scripts related to RTC and share it ? :)
TheMormegil
Adept

Post by TheMormegil »

If somebody could do it for all the RTC graphics once and then make it available somewhere, there would be no need for an export function in the editor.
Are you volunteering cows? :D
Go on, you know you want to.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Poeple could share it as they do it and we could build it up that way
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

the 33% scaled bitmaps are not really important, these are only the entrance, utility and stats backgrounds... and the rest (DM, CSB and DM2) has already been extracted by several people here.
they just have to bring themselves in !