[Not a bug]DMII No porter minion spell

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
DarkMere
Neophyte

[Not a bug]DMII No porter minion spell

Post by DarkMere »

Having got myself into the castle, the porter minion spell (Zo Ew Ros) does not appear to work. Also I cannot find any reference to the spell in the DMII text file.

If this is an oversight? If so, after inserting the missing text into the DMII text file and recompiling it, will it still work with my current saved game. If not is there a way I can get it to work with my saved game?

I have only recently upgraded from v0.34 to v0.44. I think RTC is fantastic, thank you for taking the time to produce it.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Hi,

Firstly, and most importantly, welcome and I'm glad you're enjoying RTC!

The lack of a porter minion isn't an oversight however, it's a deliberate omission. There are a few minor differences (notably the porter and scout minions, neither of which are needed to complete the game) but otherwise the RTC version should be a pretty close representation of the original DM-II dungeon. If you find any other problems, please do let me know.
Walter Mitty
Novice

Post by Walter Mitty »

I really missed having these two minions as well until I figured out alternate solutions to the puzzles I originally used a porter or scout to solve. I have looked at trying to add a porter minion in and I can honestly say that to add the minion maps into the game would probably take a lot of work and, using the current engine mechanics, would take some very serious thinking. Now that the guard minion is fixed, I don't really miss the other minions.

To answer your question about changing the .rtc file, old save games will not work with it, so I hope you have a backup still of the old file.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Ok, I don't get it - how do you get that pressure pad amidst those 4 pits to open the door without a porter minion? Coordinates RTCEd L 24,23,4 (Offset 59,41,4).
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.