[Fixed for V0.45] Toggling movable/fake/invisible walls

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
clem
Novice

[Fixed for V0.45] Toggling movable/fake/invisible walls

Post by clem »

When you put a movable and fake, movable and invisible, or fake and invisible wall on the same square with one active and the other not and try to toggle the two it does not work properly. If the wall that is active is the one that is higher in the room list is the active one, it does not activate initially. The two do not exchange states properly in response to the toggle either. When the bottom one is active initially, it starts okay, but does not toggle correctly. There can also be problems when you combine, say, a movable wall and a pit on the same square. In such a case the pit works as expected but the wall doesn't. Other cases I have tried (not using wall types), such as "on" and "off" electric floors, seem to switch as expected.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Re: Toggling movable/fake/invisible walls not as expected

Post by George Gilbert »

clem wrote:When you put a movable and fake, movable and invisible, or fake and invisible wall on the same square with one active and the other not and try to toggle the two it does not work properly. If the wall that is active is the one that is higher in the room list is the active one, it does not activate initially. The two do not exchange states properly in response to the toggle either. When the bottom one is active initially, it starts okay, but does not toggle correctly.
I strongly suspect what is happening is that an internal flag stating if the tile is passable or not is being set by the last thing that happened on the tile.

For example, if you had two movable walls one active and the other inactive on the same tile. What you would expect is that that tile would always be impassable both in its initial state and if you toggled both.

However, what I suspect is happening is that the "passability" of the tile is being set by the last action that is performed on the tile. The key point being that the two toggles don't happen simultaneously; they happen in a specific order, one then the other.

For example, if you first change the active one to inactive that makes the tile passable, but then change the originally inactive one to active that makes the tile impassable again. The tile ends up impassable which is correct.

However, if you first change the inactive one to active that makes the tile impassable, but then change the originally active one to inactive that makes the tile passable. The tile ends up passable which is incorrect.

Clearly the engine should evaluate the passability of a tile based on the entire contents of the tile though, not just the last thing that was changed on it!
clem wrote:There can also be problems when you combine, say, a movable wall and a pit on the same square. In such a case the pit works as expected but the wall doesn't. Other cases I have tried (not using wall types), such as "on" and "off" electric floors, seem to switch as expected.
I've split this issue off into a separate thread.
clem
Novice

Post by clem »

the passage flag thing sounds right, but the object won't be visible either.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Fixed for V0.45