[Fixed for V0.45] Horn of Fear and War Cry became useless

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

[Fixed for V0.45] Horn of Fear and War Cry became useless

Post by Trantor »

I'm currently playing CSB with a reincarnated Petal, got the Emerald and the Turquoise Key and am now in the DDD. I used the Horn of Fear there to good effect, crossed the pit to the right and walked upstairs to the corridor with Lightning Bolts and Hellhounds. Up there, my Horn of Fear suddenly refused to work. The sound is there, but it won't drive the Hellhounds away anymore, and there is no cooldown anymore after using it. The same is true for War Cry. I reloaded an older savegame, did the same stuff, and again both the Horn of Fear and War Cry didn't work anymore. I have no clue why this is so.

I should add that I started the game with v0.43, then upgraded to 0.44 after encountering the problem, but it is still there.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

I've no idea how the original game worked, but in RTC when you first try to frighten a monster it has a chance of not being frightened. If it's not frightened by your actions, then no matter how many times you try to frighten it (using the same method) it won't be.

It's quite possible that the monsters you're currently battling are just not scared by you.

Try some other monsters - perhaps you'll have better luck with them. If you can't scare *any* monsters, then send me your save game and I'll take a look, but otherwise I think what you're seeing is entirely normal behaviour.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

In DM/CSB it did seem to be immune for a while -whether it was just , but damagign the creature a few times seemed to give you another chance.

While areas in the , it might be dangerous for a custom if a speficiac monster cannot be frieghtened - I would suggest allowing damage to make a retry possible

Alos, I think a 'works or never' also is a harsh, it would be nice if you could have a normal fail allowed too, with perhaps the ultimate fail a possibility (A creatue isn't immune to a weapon blow just because it dodged it once)
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I would say that as well George, but suddenly, there is no cooldown anymore when using the Horn or War Cry. Whether it works or not, you usually have a cooldown of about 2 seconds before you can use the Horn again - not so in my savegame, where I can use it as quick as Punch. I'll send you my savegame, maybe you can see what's going wrong.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

When played last a few weeks ago I could simply determine whether the Horn of Fear / War Cry worked or not: When there was an action recovery time for a fear weapon the monster had failed its saving throw, if there was no action recoverye time for the fear weapon, the monster had succeeded its save.
For example I'm usually burning all collected time freezers before entering the demon's chamber in DM1. Then I start attacking one demon at a time, all the while blowing the horm of fear, and why not. If Chaos is not around, I can use it indefinitely at any rate between the attacks, and if it does have a recovery time I know Chaos was nearby and got scared - long enough to start all over again with the horn.
This is absolutely not DM-like, but since I reported this repeatedly a long time ago I suppose this is as George would have it.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
plenty2
Neophyte

Post by plenty2 »

War Cry and Horn of Fear ALLWAYS worked when u had patience to stand and scream/blow. There was a time monsters where immune after passing fear test, but you could scare them after 30 secunds to 1 minute of constant blowing. And recovery time after using fear weapon was constant.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Fixed for V0.45

If the first blow doesn't scare the monster, then sitting there constantly blowing won't help, but if you wait a while and try again, then the monster might be scared (i.e. one blow every 30s will be more effective than one blow every 3s).
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Does hurting the monster increase the chance of getting the monster scared? I mean aside from the monster getting scared automatically when near dead, so you can punch someone in order to shout at him to fuck off then?
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Language!

Yeah, it would be good if a certain damage level made the reset happen quicker
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Lunever wrote:so you can punch someone in order to shout at him to f*ck off then?
Heh, what a great mental image of champions running around, punching mummies then swearing loudly at them to see if they run away. Nope? Ok, punch him again!

It would be quite funny to write and perform a sketch based on DM. :D