[Fixed for V0.45] Chaos teleport

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Lunever
Grand Druid

[Fixed for V0.45] Chaos teleport

Post by Lunever »

So, Chaos teleports now. Unfortunately for him he does this only when he doesn't need it. I suppose teleport is now an attack spell for him. So, after I took a wrong move he cornered me in an alcove. Instead of killing me he teleported away. Thanks! On the other hand, he didn't use teleport to get in or out of the cell of his archdemon, neither did he use it to escape from being pretty surrounded by fluxcages.

I remember in FTL-DM that I had to do the fluxcaging part fast so I could banish Him before he'd teleport away. I also remember that on contrary to RTC the fluxcage didn't actually hinder his movements, it merely made him banishable.

I suggest modifying the AI so teleporting monsters generally use teleport if badly hurt and in Chaos case, if there are many fluxcages about, with enough of a delay to allow the player actually destroy the teleporting monster i.e. banish Chaos.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Re: Chaos teleport

Post by George Gilbert »

Lunever wrote:So, Chaos teleports now. Unfortunately for him he does this only when he doesn't need it. I suppose teleport is now an attack spell for him. So, after I took a wrong move he cornered me in an alcove. Instead of killing me he teleported away. Thanks! On the other hand, he didn't use teleport to get in or out of the cell of his archdemon, neither did he use it to escape from being pretty surrounded by fluxcages.

I remember in FTL-DM that I had to do the fluxcaging part fast so I could banish Him before he'd teleport away.

I suggest modifying the AI so teleporting monsters generally use teleport if badly hurt and in Chaos case, if there are many fluxcages about, with enough of a delay to allow the player actually destroy the teleporting monster i.e. banish Chaos.
Sounds reasonable. You're right that currently Chaos just has an attack method of teleport which means that he'll teleport himself away when he selects that attack method (a 1 in 3 chance per close range attack). Instead of altering that, I think it would be better to have an attack method of "teleport if in danger" or something similar, so that if he's got the party cornered then he won't give up on his winning position...
Lunever wrote:I also remember that on contrary to RTC the fluxcage didn't actually hinder his movements, it merely made him banishable.
Really? Are you sure about that? I remember (and therefore RTC implements) that the presence of a fluxcage on a tile prevents Chaos from entering that tile.

It's not really a cage if he can walk straight through the bars!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I just tested this on the original DM-PC, and it is true that Chaos doesn't seem to be able to enter a tile with a fluxcage on it. He can only leave a fluxcage to an empty tile.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Really? I thought chaos could walk through Fluxcages - I don't know if the DM code made him less likely to to avoid entrapment, but I didn't realise it blocked him

How long did you leave him behind a flux cage for? Oh, and will he teleport out of the way?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I thought it was that he wouldn't walk through a Fluxcage, and also that he would normally only teleport if you tried to Fuse him when he wasn't surrounded by them.
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I thought that Chaos could walk through Fluxcages as well Beo, so I was quite surprised to see GG's message. I hid behind a wall of Fluxcages and waited for Chaos to get to me. He stumbled left to right, obviously trying to reach me and casting a few spells in the meantime, but he couldn't get me as long as the Fluxcags were there. Only when it disappeared was he able to approach me.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Well, I'm quite sure that in SOME version, I think it was Amiga, Chaos did walk through Fluxcages, because I remember being disappointed by applicating the Fluxcage for the first time. Oh and I remember too that Fuse without a proper wall/Fluxcage-entrapment would cause Chaos to teleport.

I personally like both solutions, but if you ask me, I would leave the blocking behaviour as it is at least for the RTC-DM1 dungeon, and change it only for the original DM1 dungeon, if it was actually that way in FTL-DM1. If there should be a difference in FTL-DM1 versions on different machines, like Chaos not being blocked on Amiga but being blocked on MS-DOS-PC, I'd leave it as it is in all of RTC's dungeons, including the Original-DM1 dungeon.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Fixed for V0.45 (the teleporting only when cornered that is, I've left the impassability of tiles containing flux cages as is).
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

But he won't teleport immediately if cornered by fluxcages I hope - lest you couldn't banish him anymore.
Mac Addict
Apprentice

Post by Mac Addict »

It's been a long time, but as I recall from the Amiga version, if you cast a fluxcage when Chaos is right in front of you, he can move out of that square. If you cast a fluxcage on a square that he's not already standing on, he cannot enter it. I'm pretty sure that's how it worked.
plenty2
Neophyte

Post by plenty2 »

I was wisiting this site for 2 years, adding bug comments from time to time, but becouse of rejecting fast replay for unregistered, i had to register...

Lord Chaos WAS UNABLE to move on the caged square, plus stone walls were working exaclly as fluxcage (the party too). There was a trick to get to one of the corners with 2 empty squares. It looks like that:

########
##O####
#OD2
##1
##
##

"#" represents stone wall, "O" are empty squares. "D" is the place I used to wait for lord chaos. When he aproched from "1", I used to run to "2" and vice versa, dodging his fireballs. The idea was to make him stand at "D" square, and use FLUXCAGE and FUSE option from firestaff. Since he was not sorounded by cages, he teleported away as the response to FUSE.
Direction of his teleport seamed random, with 50% for him to teleport to one of "O" squares, and 50% elswere (totally random place on the map). When he was at one of "O"'s, you could simply FUSE him, and win the game. Otherwise u had to start over again, but all proces was taking from 30 secunds to 3 minutes, with no serious damage taken by my team (I'm good at dodging fireballs).

Now this strategy seams not to work properly due to diffrent teleport algorythm, and I'm 100% shure it was working on both Amiga and PC version. I think (i didn't test it long enough to be shure) that the walls are not treated as the cages for the perpose of Fusing him, so even reducing the required number of cages with the wall is not an option now.