[Done for V0.45] Spell cooldown too long casting multiples

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

[Done for V0.45] Spell cooldown too long casting multiples

Post by Trantor »

While playing RTC, I noticed that the cooldown after casting a Fireball (that is, before you can use the weapon in your hand again) seemed very long, especially after casting multiple fireballs in a row. I experimented a bit and got the following results: In DM-PC, any Fireball, regardless of strength, seems to have a cooldown of 10 seconds. In RTC, this varies from about 6.7 to 15 seconds, depending on the strength of the fireball. While I can accept the change of making the cooldown strength-dependant, I also noticed that if you cast a spell multiple times in a row, RTC simlpy adds the cooldown time up, meaning that after four MON fireballs, you have to wait a full minute before being able to use a weapon again. I find this to be extremely annoying, as it hinders the usefulness of a multiclass character too much IMHO. In DM-PC, this time is much shorter, it seems to be around 20 seconds no matter how many fireballs you cast. I suggest capping the cooldown time at double the time of the strongest spell cast if you cast lots of spells in a row.

This seems to apply to all spells, but I just tested it with Fireball.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Weird, there should be a different cool down period for high level spells - I remember the wait after piling on the fireballs to huge foes.... this was on DM Amiga but never noticed it different on the PC DM!

I agree the cumulative effect did not happen in DM, And agree the compromise capping would be good
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yes, I've been playing RTC again recently and noticed this is far too long, I'd prefer it to be more like the original.
TheMormegil
Adept

Post by TheMormegil »

I agree too! :)
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Since everything else in RTC seems to add logarithmically, like light level or spell durations, I suggest to apply this behaviour to spellcasting recovery times too.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

I too would like to see this tweaked. Whilst recovery time is all part of the game it is no fun to have your characters knobbled for too long.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Good plan - now done for V0.45
Tonari
Craftsman

Post by Tonari »

I have worry for this.
Does the waiting time of weapon shorten when spell is used twice after weapon is used?
If lo ful is used twice after it is used even if weapon with very long waiting time is made if it is so, I think that it can cancel waiting time.
Please forgive poor English.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

I don't see a problem there. You'd have weapon recovery as a linear component in the formula and spell recovery as a logarithmical component.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.