Spellbook - the only difference?

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Spellbook - the only difference?

Post by Lunever »

The only major difference between O-DM and RTC-DM is the spellbook (well, and the secret areas and the hint oracle that advises you to use fire spells you don't have against swamp slimes).

Yet, I think, there should be a couple of other ones. I' mainly concerned with equipment issues, and spell issues.

To avoid misunderstandings, I do not suggest having different engine behaviour for the 2 dungeons, merely apply what normal dungeon mechanisms allow to do.

In the past, there have been a couple of discussions about things like left-hand stat-boosting, rabbit's foot placement and similar. Yet these have been isolated topics. In those past discussions I usually advocated a yes-allow-everything-policy. Yet, after carefully thinking it over, I come to a different suggestion. You see, in FTL-DM at least some people did use shields. In RTC I have wands/staffs for my rear artillery, and critical-hit-boosting rabbits' feet for the front guard. Why should anybody stick to shields then? And thus a very un-FTL-style way of equipping characters has evolved. Therefore I change my past suggestions:

- On the one hand, completely REMOVE left-hand-stat-boosting from all items for the O-DM dungeon and CSB, because this is how FTL-DM1 and CSB are handling this.
- On the other hand COMPLETELY and without exception, that is including swords and maces, allow it for RTC-DM and more important DM2, because this is, how the latest valid orginal FTL-release is handling this. You might never be able to do 2-weapon-fighting like in DM2, because the engine does not support this, but at least you could have the already existing dungeon mechanics allow a character to use the same equipment as he would in FTL-DM2.
- Reduce the rabbit's foot in effect, but allow it to have its effect at least when in the pouch.
This would make shields a little less superfluous.

While I like RTC's logarithmical light-handling, it does not fit into a dungeon named "Original Dungeon Master". Please allow a config and/or dungeon option, that will allow a dungeon to have a light and darkness cap. No problem if RTC handles any dungeon not specifying this cap to be handled logarithmically.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Spellbook - the only difference?

Post by Gambit37 »

Lunever wrote:The only major difference between O-DM and RTC-DM is the spellbook (well, and the secret areas and the hint oracle that advises you to use fire spells you don't have against swamp slimes).
Actually, that's interesting, as I wrote those hints for tme DM monsters many years ago and didn't think about consequences of the new RTC spell model.

I'm not sure I'm really that bothered either way byt the issues you mention. I'm happy for RTC to have it's own little quirks and differences. Well, except for those over long spell cooldowns :)