[Done for V0.45] Effective poison damage

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Tonari
Craftsman

[Done for V0.45] Effective poison damage

Post by Tonari »

The damage of about 3 is received at regular intervals when the character receives the poison.
However, Health of the character is the same as the poison damage or recovers any more according to the same timing as it.
A natural recovery only slows consequentially. Health never decreases in the poison damage. It is not likely to die.
Even if the poison is not treated, the player is not embarrassed.
The fighter's experience will be acquired a little.

Under such a condition, I do not think that the poison works effectively.
I want you to improve this.

A natural recovery of Health is stopped while the character has received the poison.
Or, the poison damages a fixed rate to Health just like a natural recovery.

I think that either of these methods are useful.
Please forgive poor English.
Tonari
Craftsman

Post by Tonari »

The poison damage should increase while it and the party are sleeping. Just like the amount of the Health recovery.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Depends on the difficulty setting you are using - Playing Archmaster every poison intervall does about 35 points of damage, you better have a strong ViBro at hand in that case.

Also, the problem you describe, if I'm actually comprehending what you are trying to say, is not constant for all characters, since the speed of health regeneration is dependant on the character's vitality. Playing at normal difficulty with vitality boosted to 255 by YaBroNeta potions will of course counter the consequences of being poisoned.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

OK, I understand what you are saying. If your character has a natural recovery rate of 5 health per minute and is poisoned at a rate of 3 health per minute, then their health actually increases (at a rate of 2 per minute).

Your feeling is that this doesn't look right (i.e. despite being poisoned, your health is increasing - albeit at a slower rate than normal). Instead, you think that natural health recovery should be stopped whilst poisoned and so the overall health recovery rate should be -2.

Is that right? If so, what does anyone else think; I can see arguments both ways...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

As a baseline being poisoned by a rock monster should have an effect faster than health regeneration on a low level (say journeyman fighter with vitality 50) charatcer - Halk or Stamm.

I have been killed by the effects of poison after a grueling match this way...losing two points for every one regained until the poison wore off.

It isn't my imagination, poison isn't cumulative right? Each poisoning does it's seperate damage? So you can be poiosned at a faster rate from multiple sources or hits? If so, then the poisoning shoulnd't be tweaked too much higher
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

As far as I know, poison is not cumulative, at least I never noticed. And I think the poisoning is fine as it is.
Tonari
Craftsman

Post by Tonari »

beowuuf wrote:It isn't my imagination, poison isn't cumulative right? Each poisoning does it's seperate damage? So you can be poiosned at a faster rate from multiple sources or hits? If so, then the poisoning shoulnd't be tweaked too much higher
The poison accumulates. However, damage more than 3-4 doesn't increase.
I have received poison blob of 100 or more from materializer. However, the poison damage more than 3-4 doesn't increase still.
It comes only to take time to treat.
In addition, a natural recovery denies the poison damage.
Only because the party sleeps, more poison damage is denied.
It doesn't seem to be likely to be killed by the poison.

I think that I should shave off Health without denying the poison damage.
The player must feel the necessity of the detoxication.
Lunever wrote:Also, the problem you describe, if I'm actually comprehending what you are trying to say, is not constant for all characters, since the speed of health regeneration is dependant on the character's vitality. Playing at normal difficulty with vitality boosted to 255 by YaBroNeta potions will of course counter the consequences of being poisoned.
The poison damage will have to be increased a little.
However, it is thought that increasing vitality up to 255 prevents the poison.
It is similar to drinking bro potion and a positive action concerning the
poison.
It is thought it is unquestionable for me even if the poison damage is denied if vitality rise up to 255.
Or, the poison damages a fixed rate to Health just like a natural recovery.
Why did I do this proposal?
It is because of thinking that there is a problem in the game balance only in increasing the poison damage simply.

The amount of the recovery increases, too, if Health increases because the amount of a natural recovery in Health is a fixed rate.
On the other hand, the poison damage is always the same.
The poison damage is denied in the latter half of the adventure even if the poison damage is raised only a little.
However, it becomes a big menace too much for the character of just the start of the adventure when greatly rising in the poison damage.
If the poison damages Health at a fixed rate, any stage of the adventure is effective as the same.
George Gilbert wrote:Is that right? If so, what does anyone else think; I can see arguments both ways...
The method of only increasing the poison damage as written on is not so good.
Moreover, I do not think that it wants to stop a natural recovery completely only for the poison damage.
What do you think?
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

OK - I've made a small change in V0.45 to the way poison works to hopefully balance the game for higher level characters (not by increasing the damage done, but by reducing the characters natural recovery rate when poisoned).
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

That sounds reasonable.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Tonari
Craftsman

Post by Tonari »

This is a very good change. Thank you george. :D