DMII Merchants

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
plenty
Novice

DMII Merchants

Post by plenty »

Well, if GG dont like the 6 sloted money boxes (i loved it), there are diffrent sugesstions:

- A possibility to pay the merchant with a money box. He would obviously not give any discount, but charged at a full price, at the same time changing money.

- A bit AI for the merchant? I hate when he sells or buys items while turned side or even back on me. The moves differ strongly. And he didnt used fireball button when attacked (only his bodyguard rushed). As far as i remember, when u attacked merchant with a coin or ZO or dispell spell, he somtimes started to run, then hestiated and returned to normal. Now just his boduguard rushes and sell screen gets blank.

- How about a money box (and maps too) used from hands, overwriting movment arrows menu while used outside inventory? I dont think many ppl use it anyways, but if they do, they can simply not use those items outside inventory. I realise that this would require rescaling and rearanging moneybox/maps layout... but it would be so good! (and much easyier with 6-slotted box, cose money could be arranged randomly then).
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You already can pay the merchant with the money box - I much prefer RTC's money handing in thie regard, you hand the box over and get your change back, and if you dup the box on the counter it sorts it out for you!

Yeah, the merchant AI isn't 100% there, but it would need to affect akl AI (under certain conditions monsters jsut don't turn full stop)

And I'm afraid the majority of us like the non-DM2 fact that our actions aren't messed up by things in hand like DM2 did...killed gameplay for me *shudders*

I can see why it's nice to have that screen there, but it never outweighted losing action cursor access for me
plenty
Novice

Post by plenty »

(under certain conditions monsters jsut don't turn full stop)
How about a rotator + teleport forcing him to stay and look forward, when u are at the tile by the table (preshure pad there activating the merchant lock).
Then again any object (missile, spell) going to the tile where the merchant stands, would disable the lock for couple of minutes (merchant gets suspiecious?), and any damage dealt would turn normal bodyguard response?

Pushing fireball button could be forced the same way, using rotator, and then forcing him to use special attac (is that possible), that would run button pressing sequence and take down the lock.

Unless dealt damage, merchant lock disability due to throwing items or spells could have a cooldown of 3 minutes or so - so if u even casted a fireball over the table, but merchant was by another and didnt get hurt, it would look like him panicking for a while and then getting vack to normal.

Whats more, hurting but not killing a merchant (i guess he can heal himself?) could resolve in him getting back to normal after few game hours (and full hp of course), but prices would suddenly be doubled...

I think all can be implemented from the dungeon side, if not one way then another.

U really use mouse to navigate dungeon? While looking at inventory?

If not, then it would have no impact at your gamplay - u could just not use the boxes/maps while on main screen.