[Not a bug] Auto display of bitmap side is wrong.

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Tonari
Craftsman

[Not a bug] Auto display of bitmap side is wrong.

Post by Tonari »

I try to make flooritem of the same size as floortile.
It is the one like cross1.
I make flooritem that has graphic only of front1. (It has front0 and side0)
In a former version of RTC, when the flooritem was put, any position was correctly displayed.
However, it is not displayed correctly at present.
A graphic right and left of side seems to have reversed.
Please forgive poor English.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

looks like this is 9 times the same bitmap with different scalings (which is normal).
Last edited by linflas on Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

I agree with Linflas - this is just an optical illusion.

The autoscaling of floor bitmaps in RTC is just that, autoscaling. It doesn't do any flipping, rotating, sheering or anything else (it can't because it's manipulating a 2D bitmap, and those operations require 3D knowledge of how the object looks from different angles).

Therefore it only really works on items that look the same from every angle (e.g. pillars, rocks, trees etc). Items that have an intrinsic direction associated with them (such as the cross you're using) need human intervention to determine how they look from different angles (which you can do by explicitly specifying the front / side1, side2, side3 bitmaps).
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

On that topic, is there any utility that would take a 2D bitmap and make a flat, horizontal flooritem out of it with all the views? A flooritem that is smaller than the whole tile could be padded with power pink so that the resulting images look as intended. (Note: I am NOT volunteering to make one if there is none, I'm just asking.)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Clever use of Sophia's discontinuted WHACK tool could serve as a starting point for simple flat items like grates, etc. It would at least give you the correct perspective for the side views which would then need touching-up/redrawing.
Tonari
Craftsman

Post by Tonari »

Thanks.
I did not have the ability to draw graphic, and I wanted to prepare graphic as easily as possible.
I think that it merely misunderstands the thing that I did by a former version of RTC. I think that I examined whether the scale of cross serves as a reference perhaps. :oops:
Please forgive poor English.