[Fixed for V0.45] RTC-DM2 dungeon bugs

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Lunever
Grand Druid

[Fixed for V0.45] RTC-DM2 dungeon bugs

Post by Lunever »

1) If I remember correctly, only the first time you use a teleport pad by a tech shield a thicket thief is supposed to appear in the sun clan village.

In RTC every time I used the teleport a thicket thief was generated. After a couple of quick teleports a whole bunch of them populated the sun clan village.

2) It seems to me that a couple of items are available in the shops too often. Are there really 4 fire plates or 5 voraces supposed to be in a shop?

3) The magically regrowing green crystal in one of the bat caves does not regrow. But it should.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yup, 1) and 2) are right (I actually mentioned the to GG when playing the two side by side!)

Edit: I mean you are right Lunever that they aren't like DM2! :D
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

1) Fixed for V0.45

2) Can you let me know how many there were in the original game then I will update the RTC version!

3) Ahhhh, that's a deliberate difference and there's a good reason for it - you'll find out later what :wink:
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

3) More deliberate than a debate about how fast crystals are supposed to grow (I don't see a problem with that in a world with physical magic)? Then I'm curious to find out.

Edit: Currently I'm not often at a computer that runs dosbox fast enough to make DM2 be fun, so Beo, can you maybe have a count of shop items?
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Lunever wrote:3) More deliberate than a debate about how fast crystals are supposed to grow (I don't see a problem with that in a world with physical magic)?
Yes - the crystal seams have a purpose (other than just providing cash).
Lunever wrote:Then I'm curious to find out.
Excellent. That's a good thing!

Have fun :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Umm, the trouble is I've already done that at the time, so it's annoying I can't find reference to it in any of the mails nor find a text file I would have scribbled it down on.

Not really in the mood to do that again for the moment I'm afraid, it's quite a pain do the shop audit (minions and skeletons at the skeleton shop are a pain) and I used pure DOS mode (I played under pure dos on desktop with RTC on my laptop!)

I'll hunt around mroe for that text file, and see what mood I'm in at the weekend if I can't find one.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Does that mean there is a connection between the machine purpose of the cave and the gems?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Se, you learn things all the time about the gasmes, don't you... so will GG actually tell us!
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Lunever wrote:Does that mean there is a connection between the machine purpose of the cave and the gems?
Beowuuf wrote:so will GG actually tell us!
It's an adventure game. Go forth and adventure...

I'm not going to spoil it for you :roll:
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I've never known of any relevance of the emerald-alcove to the goal of the game - I just consider it a free gem for money. There's the furnace in that room (well, the only emerald-alcove I can think of is the one in Dru-Tan's room anyway), and the Rockies who keep it lit, but they use Pyros which are either lying around or produced by the Rockies themselves (I forget which, unless it's both - they certainly never run out). I see no other real use for a free emerald...
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

4) Also I found that the armour shop in the sun clan village does trade plate armour items, but does not buy the ones found in the crypt (the one with those thief-driven doors).

5) Thief-driven doors: Even more so than in DM/CSB a puzzle like this is working less well than in FTL, probably due to monsters moving differently. In FTL-DM/CSB/DM2 some of these laughing pit/door puzzles have long pauses. I think monsters in FTL surrounded by free space did occassionally perform a random change of direction, while in RTC they only change direction in absence of the party when blocked by a wall or another monster. So for some doors in the crypt you have to wait ages because I suspect that a thief only ever crosses the trigger if it had bumped into another thief at the right time at the right spot.
Therefore I suggest implementing occassional random direction changes into the AI, aside from the puzzles it makes monsters less predictable. Oh, and if we are about, FTL monsters from time to time changed direction when lured in tight circles by the party, RTC monsters almost never do this. This would make combat in spacy areas less boring routine.

6) I found that the fire plate DECREASES vitality by 10 ! I don't think it is supposed to do that, all it should do is increase an internal fighter skill by 1. I wonder whether other items also affect the wrong stat? And, for a long time now, I wonder what of all those hidden skills Suule uncovered from the DM2 code actually exist in DM2, or have some substitute, or none at all. I mean, if you wear an item because it is supposed to raise a hidden stat it'd be nice to know if such a stat or a similar one exists at all.
George, please, do comment this!
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Also, there are a couple of things I'm not sure about anymore since I never played much original FTL-DM2.

7) What happens, if you kill all vexirks with poison spells shot through the portcullis? Since there doesn't seem to be a monster generator, there won't be a monster left that could go to the monster attractor, I suppose that would mean a dead end savagame. So, no matter whether FTL-DM2 has been containing this bug too or not, I suggest fixing it by having the bell cord summon a vexirk at the far stairs if no monster enters the attractor square within lets say 2 minutes.

8 ) Wasn't there some shop supposed to buy disabled tech eyes? If so, which one? At least in RTC no shop seems to be willing to buy them.

9) Is it intentional or accidental, that the main teleport pad in the sun clan village does remember which countryside teleport pad you came from last, but does not remember your destination if you teleport in from a Skullkeep teleport pad?
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

9) I found that the first teleport pad in Skulkeep sets the main teleport pad to some countryside pad, the second sets it to the proper Skullkeep monitor room, while the third sets it to countryside again, even though it was set to the monitor room before. Seems rather strange to me.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

11) I often find quoted that in FTL-PCDM2 the Excymyr has the ability to strike twice per melee action. There doesn't seem to be anything like that in RTC, right? Can this be implemented in some way?
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

5 and 6) now fixed for V0.45.

9) The teleport return point is set to the last cross that the party stepped on (note, not the last cross that the party teleported from). It shouldn't matter where that is in the dungeon (inside or out).

11) is a deliberate omission from DM-II (for now; I think it, and the Numenstaff treble fireball, are already on the suggestions thread).
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

6) Err, fixed means that the fireplate does affect the correct stats now I suppose. What about those hidden stats I asked about? If you want to keep that a secret, please say so, lest I dont know how to handle this one. Of course secrets are difficult to fine-tune by iterative feedback.

9) Ah, so my mistake. I thought it'd save the last destination you teleported too. But if it is actually set to the last one you walked unto, I probably just accidentally stepped unto one of them when going round selling stuff.

11) If that deliberation remains, the attack strength of the Excymyr's melee would have to be increased as a substitute, for now it's not nearly as useful as the original in comparison to a Vorax. Of course that wouldn't be really the same as implementing this feature, for to profit from that double-strike you need to stay a little moment longer in face of the opponent.