[Not a bug] DM-II void bridge

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

I give up. I just tried about 200 times to get past the final void bridge to Dragoth, I just don't manage it. Sure, I have no scout minion so I can not see the part of the map that would be interesting, but with enough Mana pumped into Aura of speed to remain fast for ages I should be able to slip through. Any trick I missed? Did anyone already manage it (in V0.44)?
If so, how?

George: Just in case the timing of the bridge is malfunctioning, I'll send you my last savegame so you can see for yourself.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hmm, I seem to recall being too fast for the void bridge and having to take my time, i was falling off alot by rushing the cloud
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

As you've posted in the other thread, you've since worked out how to cross!
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Well, i wouldn't say "work out". Right, I proved it's possible, but I couldn't reproduce it. The thing is, most of the times neither rushing nor taking my time did the trick. I walked the first 3 tiles ahead, most of the times I could neither walk a 4th tile ahead, since it was still impassable, nor wait, since the bridge I was on already collapsed again. And even if I got one of the opportunites to walk another tile ahead, it was usually impossible to catch the moment where you could go another tile in any direction.

After countless failures I only managed to get across by blindly frustrated hacking a couple of times on my keyboard. That doesn't have to anything with playing skill, at best it's the dark side of intuition ;-)

I think it wouldn't be that hard, if you could use a scout map or a ZoIrNeta spell to catch the right moment. So I still suggest to either make the timing of the bridge a bit more lax (even if the current state might be the original one), implement the scout map fully, or substitute it by enabling the ZoIrNeta spell.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Well, several other people have managed to complete that section of the game without any problems without any need for a map.

All you need to do is walk forward with the bridge at the same speed as it's moving!

I loaded up the save game you sent me and did it first time... :wink:
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Hmm, then I'm probably outright too stupid.

Still - more maps & minions!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Well, it might not be as simple as that (someone who completed archmaster DM should ahve enough skills to cross a bridge) - has anyone actually completeld DM2 under 0.44? I know I did my comparisons a few versions ago now...
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I remember having trouble with that section as well, but I don't know what version it was that I played. But it did take me a lot of tries and caused lots of frustration.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Well, I gave the possibility that maybe V0.44 has a problem there a thought too, but then George posted that he succeeded right away with the very savegame from me, and by now I got through too, albeit by luck only.

So either I've been doing it all wrong, or if there is any bug at all, it would have be to be different on different machines, but that's rather unlikely imho (could the FPS rating have any influence on it, or the difficulty rating? I'd rather think not. Anyway, I've been playing on my gfs not so old laptop, at about 56 fps average, with difficulty set to archmaster for my favourite vetran party, which is Ee-master on average, ranging from On-master to archmaster). At first I tried without speed aura, then with. Most of the times after walking 3 tiles the bridge under me disappeared before the next tile appeared to be passable.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Well, the big difference is that you areplaying on archmaster setting, surely? It shouldn't affect certain mechanics, but might be in this case?
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Quick question - when you fell off, did you reload the game, or did you make your way back and try again?
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Ok, albeit I replied to Beo's question in the other thread, let us settle this issue in this thread now, not in both.

A couple of times I tried by restarting from the entrance to the void. But that soon started to bore me, so I resorted to frying my party with a Mon lightning after falling back (lucky me, Mon lightning is quite instantly lethal at that level).
Yet, after reloading I tried both to rule out bad luck - sometimes I tried to rush the bridge instantly after reloading, somtimes I waited a couple of cycles before trying to get through again. Since I thought it might be possible that it is necessary that the western and the southern bridge might to phase together so you can proceed (which I don't really know due to lack of scouts or ZoIrNeta, hence the suggestions), I varied the waiting cycles so I could be absolutely sure that it's not just been a bad moment I accidentally caught.