[Fixed for V0.46] Editor crash on setting parameter to NULL

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

[Fixed for V0.46] Editor crash on setting parameter to NULL

Post by Gambit37 »

This is the error received when setting Object 1 to NULL from some previous value in the WALLITEM-INFO-SCREEN timeout tab.

I've also experienced similar crashes setting other attributes on other triggers to NULL, eg, removing sounds from switches.

It's fine if you do it manually in the text file, but selecting --NULL-- from the options causes the crash.

Not tested exhaustively.

RTC Editor (V0.45) Diagnostic file - Sat Apr 07 19:38:20 2007

Error:
an access violation exception.

Stack Dump:
RTCEditCommon.SelectObject(pointer 0x0012E58C, pointer 0x0012E61C, pointer 0x0012E638, int 1);
RTCEditCommon.EditItem(pointer 0x031B46E0, bool FALSE);
RTCEditDlgEdit.OnButtonEdit();
RTCEditView.OnEditEdit();
RTCEditApp.WinMain();
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Fixed for V0.46

BTW; this bug will effect pretty much any edit box where you try and change it from "something" to "NULL" in the editor. If it starts to become overly restricting / annoying for anyone then let me know and I'll send you a updated RTCEditor.exe that fixes it.
danielcg
Apprentice

Post by danielcg »

George Gilbert, you should post the updated version of RTCEditor.exe on RTC Website beside 0.45 zip file right away because this bug annoy anyone who make a mistake and try to correct his/her mistake by revert certain objects back to NULL.

I do that to correct my some mistake I made to my custom weapon or modified monster such remove mistaken attack method from the monster.

:wink:
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Done.

For anyone that downloaded RTC V0.45 in the first two days after it was released and has an editor that displays the bug that Gambit describes, you can download the updated editor here.

Note that if you have downloaded RTC V0.45 at any point on or after 9th April 2007, you do not need to download the updated editor (as I've now included it in the main download).
danielcg
Apprentice

Post by danielcg »

Thanks so much!!!

Unfortunately, I have performed binary compare and confirmed RTCEditor.exe is not updated at all; ALL bytes are matched to original Version 0.45 RTCEditor.exe. Please check your file!

UPDATE! I am sorry that I have tested RTCEditor.exe for revert to NULL object and confirmed both programs are fixed so therefore, I already have fixed version of RTCEditor.exe before!!!!! I deleted duplicate copy of RTCEditor.exe file.

I checked configuration file and confirmed that you did not implement my suggestion at this time (easier difficulty setting). However, I can still make gameplay easier by clone DM/CSB/DMII into my own custom dungeon and modify my own dungeons anyway.