The Silly and Tiny Christmas Story Discussion 2006 / 2012

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

The Silly and Tiny Christmas Story Discussion 2006 / 2012

Post by Gambit37 »

Use this thread to discuss the Christmas Story!
Last edited by Gambit37 on Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Damn. I set this off last night after coming home drunk. Actually, it's not what I wanted at all.

I was going to tender it out for suggestions on what the story should be about, so that we have a goal to work towards. The randomness of last years one got a bit out of hand, and judging by the bad start we've had already, the same thing will happen again.

I'd like for a story with a bit of atmosphere and character development (but still silly, obviously).

I think we should start over. What should the story be about?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Champions falling down a well after a drunken stagger home on christmas eve - they have to escape using cunning tactics and whatever they are carrying and their weird abilities before Christmas day
Sabreman
Craftsman

Post by Sabreman »

Better to have consecutive people write paragraphs then, rather than words?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, it's like my story idea except silly! : )

I really should ressurect that dammit!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I think both suggestions are great: The story could be fun and giving everyone a line rather than a single word would give a little more coherence and ownership. Having said that, it will pobably take away the spontaneity some what.

Am I being weird? Should we start over, or should I unlock the thread and carry on?
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I agree on having a more coherent storyline with phrases that actuially make sense, but I also think we should keep the concept of one word per posting. I also like the idea of needing every DM champion and every moderator somewhere in there. Maybe you should unlock the thread Gambit, I don't think all is lost yet. But we should try to pull ourselves together - a little bit at least. ;)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I'm going to trash the thread and start again with Beo's story suggestion. However you look at it "Bacon shaped walruses started placidly munching very miniscule pieces." is an awful first line. It's not even grammatically correct. Pieces of what? We definitely need some background and objective to work towards or it'll just end up a string of ggiberish which happened last year.

I don't think it will be possible to keep a coherent story thread with single word postings. However, the more I think about it, the less likely I feel that allowing longer paragraphs will yield funny results. How about two words per post?

Consensus?

Sorry for the false start everyone! Oh, and if you have admin rights, please don't abuse them by continuing to post to the story thread. Thanks.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

how about a 4 word set? you can lay 4 words.. it's not enough for a whole sentance.. but enough to give interest.. since many times I'm writing of, the, for, etc because no one else wants to.. or even avoids making them even more rediculous..

4 words is enough to get a running start but not so much that it loses spontenaety

yes no?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

I think maybe you're all trying too hard.

This story is going to end up stupid no matter what. That's part of the fun, right? :lol:
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Sophia wrote:I think maybe you're all trying too hard.

This story is going to end up stupid no matter what. That's part of the fun, right? :lol:
I fear this is one of the most truthful statements I have ever read on this forum.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

No, I said one about sex last year : )
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Sophia wrote:I think maybe you're all trying too hard.

Yes, of course, but it *was* largely stupid, rambling and meaningless. I thought it would be better to at least have some purpose behind it, surely? I like Beo's idea -- if there are no objections, let's use that as a start. Of course, I'm sure it will deviate, but it's good to start somewhere.

Final say: One, two, three or four words each?

I'm nothing if not democratic!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Any number of words is fine with me.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I say a sentence, as long as you like, but one sentence only. If you want to allow sentences to have a slight silly randomness to them, then I would say six words or less, and you can span two or more sentences if you like.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Oh gawd...surely you know by now how long my sentences tend to end up, after a perhaps somewhat frivolous use of commas and other such punctuation? :twisted:
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

OK. Beo's story. One shortish sentence each. I'll start the thread later tonight once I'm home.... :-)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I have no idea what you mean Ameena, you have nothing but the most judicious and spartan use of language of anyone on the board, making sure all your sentences are pithy, short, compact, concise - to a reasonable degree, to ensure that the full and frank and honest and total meaning are not lost in any way, shape or form - with a natural tendancy to be shy and unforthcoming unless pressed by those who are willing to spend the enourmous amount of time to coax you from your unnassuming and placid demenour (so that we can learn more of your hidden thoughts and ideas)

Hehe
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

How long did that one take you then Wuffy? And how many times did you have to resort to a dictionary/thesaurus?
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, I just typed it straight, surprised gambit managed to sneak in a post! : )
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

OK, it's done, I started a new one and ditched the old one. Go nuts!

:D :D :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, well, I quoted monty python, but hey, it's early, my creative juices aren't juicy yet!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hey, actually so far so good - pretty silly, while not unintelligent, still alot of room to make mad things happen and be funny (or crude) while having a funny plot

Let's see where we can take this puppy!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I changed Stamm to Zed in our posts Beo as I forgot he was still active and not in fact in a stupor!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Aha, i seeeeeeeee. Wasn't Zed last seen unconscious under a pile of bodies though? : )

I added a rule, since it was mentioned above as something to do, hope no one minds. Hope people come up with bad puns or obscure ways to do it too!

Right, time to work again...I@m not just wimping out on exactly what Tiggy's prize is!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

And ian gets the first point for Ven Ra!

While I reckon I get several points deducted for a) artificially extending a sentence to b) include my own name in c) a really bad pun
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

beowuuf wrote:No, I said one about sex last year : )
Remind me again what that was....

I'm sitting here refreshing the screen and shouting "Come on you dismal dungeoneering dweebs, write some magnificent prose 'cos I want to write some more!"

Hey, I just had a thought -- why don't we change the rule slightly so that each person doesn't quite finish their sentence, but the NEXT person does, then starts their own one that's left unfinished. The story is quite amusing, but I think this twist will make it funnier...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

NAh, I think you can if you like leave a sentence open, but not be forced to

On phone, post link later to uote
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

In the cats and dogs thread:
Zyx: [In the context of perception through words]What's the truth?
Beowuuf: That you can never have enough sex.
Zyx: At last! On 10 Aug 2005 08:02, somebody told a truth!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

First mid air collision! You need to edit, fuzzface! Make mine look as clever as it is!