Campaign Map

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
raixel
The Dungeon Master Cylinder

Re: Campaign Map

Post by raixel »

Yeah, Cows, Here in WA its the same way. I grew up in a high mountain desert on the east side of the Cascades, in the foothills, where the average temperature is 95-105 (I think around 32-35 in Celcius) in summer, and freezing cold in winter and theres only a few inches of precipitation a year which is mostly snow. Theres no cacti, but theres rattlesnakes, scorpions, palm-sized spiders, sagebrush and even sand dunes in places, although most of it is hard packed fine sand-dust that puffs up when you walk through it. 70 miles West, theres snow till july in the mountains, then on the west side of the mountains where I live now, it rains a *lot* and is very wet and lush. All within 150 miles of each other.

Beautiful map, Gambit. You should do one for our D&D game on here!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

That's probably because of Matt... ;) So here's an unfinished map for an amateur gamebook i'm penciling. The story takes place in US, during XIXth century, and YOU are a young Native American starting his shaman initiation.
Trees, cities and mounts are penciled from scratch. I plan to fill borders with ethnic little figures and parchment cracks to give a Native look.

Railway is made of... PIPE EQUAL PIPE characters :)
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Wow, that's lovely! The style really suits the mood of the adventure you have planned: I love the black-face typography. And how you designed the railway is inspired! :)
Please tell me the gamebook will also be in English...?
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

nope, except if you want to translate err.. 480 sections :)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Google translate to the rescue :-) Is this something you'll be self-publishing for money? You certainly have the talent to do that, and I would buy it, even if I couldn't read it! (Why was I always so rubbish at learning foreign languages!?)
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Looks sweet! Love the western feel to it.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Ahah ! that's funny because I'm trying to translate a novel from an author lurking on the gamebook forum i'm a member of. DM members may love that story : YOU are Hissssa of Makan, a shapechanger living near Blacksand... Interesting, isn't it ? But Google Translate is actually a waste of time. I'm faster by myself using a good old dictionary. It's a short gamebook, only 50 sections but it's a very hard work (harder than translating the other way).

Another author and I self-published a few years ago our gamebook because we prefer reading real books than PDFs. No money earned... but anyone can buy it on lulu.com for less than 9 EUR.

This new "Shaaman" gamebook is the first of a collective project on the forum.We plan to group all novels in a single collection with same cover design and layout. If we manage to convince editors, maybe we'll be published for real...
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Wow, cool! As others said, I also like the Western style. :D

EDIT: Alright, except... I don't want to sound irritating but some of the rivers don't behave naturally, mostly in the southern section. Especially the "river" between Camp Cheyenne and Murray City is a little bit non-sense (unless it's a man-made canal crossing the water divide). But meh, ignore me, it's a professional deformation. :wink:
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I think you posted the link to the original French Hissssa gamebook, didn't you?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Jan wrote:EDIT: Alright, except... I don't want to sound irritating but some of the rivers don't behave naturally
Now that's *two* artists who've made the same mistake... what's wrong with us creatives, ignoring the laws of geography!? Tut, tut!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

For my defense, I'm not the original conceptor. The author of the gamebook made this map and I just enhanced it. Artists have no brain, don't you know ? :)

@beo : yes, now that you say it ! i forgot it :o
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

beowuuf wrote:ignoring the laws of geography!?
It's more like ignoring the laws of gravity. :wink:

Oh, I guess I should just shut up and go now, shouldn't I? :roll:
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Be prepared !
Last AWESOME work from FF illustrator Russ Nicholson : http://hugeruinedpile.files.wordpress.c ... -final.jpg
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Wow, that is *large* ! Nice to see stuff from Russ, I haven't seen any of his work since those early FF days.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

linflas wrote:Another author and I self-published a few years ago our gamebook because we prefer reading real books than PDFs. No money earned... but anyone can buy it on lulu.com for less than 9 EUR.
What's the name of the book?
linflas wrote:This new "Shaaman" gamebook is the first of a collective project on the forum.We plan to group all novels in a single collection with same cover design and layout. If we manage to convince editors, maybe we'll be published for real...
Sounds pretty great! I still have visions of creating a gamebook, perhaps I should join that forum.... what's the URL?
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

that's quite a map! Thanks for posting linflas
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

@gambit : Book title is "Les Sabres d'Asguenn". You can join forum at http://rdv1.dnsalias.net, they can understand english quite well. There's also another gamebook forum with same members (and many more) at http://www.la-taverne-des-aventuriers.com. That one as an english section.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

That is one elaborate
Spoiler
April 1st prank!
!!

Very, very nice though. My local area looks like something out of Lone Wolf. Fantastic :-)
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Even if it is an April's fool joke, rendered layer is very nice !
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I've managed to look through my own windows with the telescope sepia tone and dirt effect for the telescope :)
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Jan wrote:Excellent! Very well done indeed! :D

So there are actually two rivers flowing out of the mountains of Vendri - one to the southeast and one to the northwest? Perhaps you could move the title "Vendri" slightly to the left so that it doesn't overlap with the river line (the river flowing between E and N). Also, do you have means to change the thickness of the river lines (so that the line is thinner at the spring and thicker at the mouth)?

And I'd still like to hear the explanation for the river dividing at Fethand. Is it because of low terrain / marshes? If yes, it's possible (there are actually some marshes between Poltarion and Merival) but you have to realise that marshes and swamps are usually very unhealthy places so people are unlikely to found large cities there (without some drainage works etc.). So actually Poltarion would likely be a very unhealthy city with quite a high mortality. The same applies to Spand. It's apparently within a river delta and this would be a very unfavourable position. In reality Spand would lie further to the northwest (say in the bend of the river - like Lanten which is very well positioned) at a river ford and a road between Palisade Prime and Joyhaven.
I am not worried about odd flowing rivers.
There is a lot of that in the "Canadian Shield" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Shield
A famous one is Lake Wollaston with two rivers flowing out of it.
"The Fond du Lac River flows out of the lake to the northwest, where it drains into Lake Athabasca, which ultimately drains into the Arctic Ocean via the Mackenzie River system.
The Cochrane River flows out of the northeastern side of the lake and into Reindeer Lake, which drains via the Churchill River system into Hudson Bay."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wollaston_Lake
Another one, I had a hard time to understand is the Barrigton river a small stream in Northern Manitoba close to Leaf Rapid.
This river at the North of Eden lake splits to a part flowing directly to the Churchill river downstream of Leaf Rapids and the other part flows into Eden lake where it merges with the Hugues river that goes to the Churchill river via Grandville lake upstream of Leaf Rapids.
There are several places where it is a puzzlz to figure out lake and river mazes.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Here's some info on the Google Treasure Map, from the guy who drew it:
http://blog.alexlikesdesign.com/post/46 ... asure-maps
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Nice maps.
Is it playable ?
Is it a game ? a commercial scheme ? an April fools day prank ?

http://google-latlong.blogspot.fr/2013/ ... -maps.html

Is this Google Map Treasure Mode an April fools day prank or a worthwile game ?
Nice anyway.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

It was just an April Fool prank, albeit a very extravagant one. Did you watch the video to see the lengths they went to?
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

The video is fun.
I am desapointed, I was hoping a game with a lot of puzzles hidden in those maps and street views.
Or some sort of worldwide geocaching http://www.geocaching.com/