Arakion, a game similar to dungeon master on Kickstarter

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Bit
Arch Master

Re: Arakion, a game similar to dungeon master on Kickstarter

Post by Bit »

Even though I have my own opinion about fan-articles and this 5$ more - 1 extra more, I wish luck to make it.
There are times that I really regret that I never went for money - now I have to pay for, with no money left.
Go guys, go.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Finally got round to making my own pledge for this one - I'd actually forgotten up till you made that post, Gambit! :O
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Arakion has met its goal, and is funded! Congratulations to Chris, I'm sure he will be thrilled! :D
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lav ... sts/320154
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Indeed, congrats!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Whee, that's cool :D. I just had an e-mail about it and saw the video explaining the new stuff that's being added - new Rogue-type class and stuff :). I wish I had enough money to be able to afford the really big backing-tier thingys in games like this - those are the ones where you get to actually design stuff for the game. It must be so cool to be able to actually come up with ideas for monsters or locations or history or whatever and have them make it into the game!
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Use it wisely - no big party yet :P
Lavidimus
Novice

Post by Lavidimus »

@Bit: Hahaha certainly no big party, we have a game to make!!

Arakion is in its final day of funding and I just wanted to thank everyone for their amazing support throughout the campaign! If you've already pledged, thank you so much and please check out the new backer add-ons in the latest update! Thank you all again for supporting indie gaming and the world of Arakion!
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Hmmmm - just wanted to see what happened to this project.
Obviously the progress of development is very very secret since the money came in :roll:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

There was an update released a few weeks ago. I'm not sure if the updates are only visible to backers, or appear on the main page normally.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I hope he won't mind me posting the latest update here (6th May):
Hey guys!

Chris here first, just introducing all of our new team members. I also want to quickly nudge in here that we're on time with production and we'll be launching alpha in July and beta a couple of months after! I'll have a more exact date soon. On to the new team members!

Andrew (Coder): He is Arakion's experienced new lead coder. He's working on shoring up all our systems and creating everything we need moving into alpha testing.

"Greetings & such. I'm Andrew. I'm coding the guts of a game I love in a language I love in an engine I love so I'm gonna get right back to that."

Periyanna (Coder): Peri is a great coder who has taken over lead on the card game.

"Hi Guys, I am Prasanna I am working on the card game logic and multiplayer, I love challenges, I love coding , and I am enjoying every bit of it

Nikki (Intern Artist): Currently working on character and pet concept art

Drew (Level Design): Developing ideas, puzzles and layouts for tons of new levels for everyone to enjoy.

"Hello all, I'm Drew, not to be confused with Andrew. I'm working on level design and really pushing myself and the team to create great content. Hoping to stump a few of you with my puzzles."

----

Jack's here now for the introduction of a new type of updates: the "flash updates"

We’re striving to write new updates every week to keep you posted, and we hope you enjoyed the last ones.

But long posts are time consuming and we need time to develop the game, so let’s try out this new “revolving” template for quick updates.

Here’s how the revolving method works:

This first time we’re going to post a complete report for every section involved in the development. For future updates we plan to split the updates into sections and post about one section at a time. There are four sections, so we hope to update you monthly about every one of them. They are: Art & Animation, Story & Level Design, Coding & Testing, and Game Design.

Here we go: the first flash update about the Arakion team!

Story & Setting (from Jack):

Creating concepts for the Darkest Night setting
Writing and choosing concepts to implement enemies to be faced in The Darkest Night
Editing and completing the Floating Islands concepts
Editing and completing the Ancients concept
Editing and completing the main antagonist
Designing primary character dialogue structures based on character personalities

Coding (from Maus, Acade, Periyanna and Chris):

Working on the database structure
Creating custom tools needed to develop the game
Developing the network capabilities for card game and Arakion multiplayer
Refining current code within the game
Refining the GUI System
Optimizing the path finding system

Art (Chris, Drew, Audrey and the rest of the art team)

Temple Region
Forest Region
Animation from Mixamo
Multiple prop and character creations
Working towards finalizing the alpha levels

Game Design (Chris)

Restructured the stat system
Gor are no longer a playable race, being replaced with a yet to be released race
Restructured the UI (it is now a diagetic UI)
Structuring DLC and Expansion systems
Fleshing out the final character design systems

We will send you more of these flash updates just to let you know what’s going on.
Any feedback is welcome, you may post your comments here or on the Arakion forum.

See you soon!

Attached is a obligatory image.
There was artwork of one of the characters on the update.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Ooops, didn't find that. That looks much better then - have to apologize, was thinking the worst...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Backers get regular updates by email. Ive had loads for this project.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, I get them too :). It's been relatively quiet lately, but I think that's 'cause they're so busy working on stuff :).