more DM character paints

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

more DM character paints

Post by cowsmanaut »

Decided to continue this.. but wasn't able to find the other thread.. it's burred somewhere and I went through multiple pages.. anyway.. now that I'm back on track.. at least a little while I'll just continue here.

this is 12% of the painted size of the image.

supposed to be wu tse.. and I'm trying to keep the oldish style.. noting a fair bit of contrast, and the upper area of the head being lighter..
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Re: more DM character paints

Post by linflas »

very realistic, and the androgynous feel is well rendered. hair is still too blurry, but it's only the first stage as you said.
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Lovely work! Amazing to see you develop your craft, when compared with your old portraits. If you ever finish all these, I'd love to use them on Codex with your permission... do you keep larger versions?

Also, your other paints are here:
http://dungeon-master.com/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=28990
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

yeah, I cheaped out at the hair.. it was getting late.. I'm going to add a bit more volume to the back of the head too.. she's looking a bit squished now that I look at her.. and define her braids more since they are lost at this res. I found an image of some model on the net that I used for reference on my second monitor. so not 100% made from my head.. which is how a lot of the others were made.. my old Stamm image for example was 100% out of my head.. usually the more realistic they look, the better chance I was looking at someone :P
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

It is good you use a kind of a gradient on the background. Seen this on other portraits as well. So the background wraps aroudn the light areas of the face and the dark areas of the face(juxtaposition). Know what I mean. I can only second what the others posted. Very cool. Needs maybe to blend from fine strokes to blurry areas more .. how to put it..make it feel like one blend. Then again, it is hard. Just thinking out loud..

do what works for you - have phun and keep going on :)
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I wanted to do something lastnight.. so I made a new portrait.. if anyone is interested..

3DH
Apprentice

Post by 3DH »

Very nice, now I would like to see Iaido.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

sure

cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

and for anyone who would like to see how sketchy these are made (I do them fairly quickly)

3DH
Apprentice

Post by 3DH »

I like this Iaido. Good work.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Ah, nice! Amazing what you can get away with working rough-n-large then shrinking down! :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Wow, that's really cool :D. Did you ever do Hissssa or Wuuf?
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I've done Wuuf before.. a few times now. These last two I did the day i posted them.. so they are new. Hisssa is a pain only because of his scales. Even as a large rough, he's more work than both of these :P Well see..
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

That's really cool :D. My drawing skills on a computer are mostly limited to crappy Paintbrush stuff like those versions I did of some people's avatars a few years back :D. Maybe you could do some of the CSB characters as well at some point - I never use any of them as I import my DM party when playing through CSB, but I think the majority of the characters look so much cooler - skeletal guys and bird-people and so on :P.
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Beautiful! Keep on - bring them all alive!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Ok, so who next?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Deth
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Cool, I like the glowy eyes :D.
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

keep up the awesome work cowsmanaut
keep your gor coin handy
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

does this look familiar

had some fun trying to do Iaido, deconstruction
keep your gor coin handy
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

What was it you painted over?
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I learned a lot from playing with this shot from Alberta, found in an ad online. I got the feel. I just went up a few notches in understanding the blob method. shrink that down and it looks pretty good. I think it quite easy to chicken scratch a big blob and shrink it down. this was fun and very easy to do. did it in a very short period of time. next attempt will be to do it by visually looking at it. demonstrated exactly what you're conveying in the skills needed to do it. A LOT OF FUN and QUICK. the original was real and different. my daughter does this stuff with a friend, they go out to a 1 day art class, and bring home pics like these but they use real paints. there are a few artists in my family using stone, paint, flowers and landscape, wood work. a colourful family. I think i'll surprise myself on my next work, I have an idea already to do. it was a lot of fun and the potential to do this kind of work now that I understand GIMP, that makes it much easier to do, is there. I thank you cows for stirring me up to do it, and it happened all by itself, I saw the ad and said, hey, cows did that, maybe that is where he saw it from, anyhow, thank you. look forward to more as I screw around with graphics in the coming years. I was jealous of my family as a child, they are all artists, but now I think my turn is coming, and a bigger graphics card is going to help me to do BIG BLOBS and turn them into what is being looked at. that is my first attempt, I used it much like a chalked outline on white paper, the only difference was there was already colour, other than that it is much the same. I recommend others try this, anyone can do it if they try. I used hardly any GIMP functions, it was that easy.
keep your gor coin handy
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Not sure what ad you were talking about. I learned the validity this messy painting from old masters like Monet.. look at his paintings close up and it's messy dabs of paint.. step back from it and it's a complete picture. This is far from new as an idea :)

I've worked large for years and always shrink down, even when I'm working with more detail.. hides the errors well.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I need a bigger monitor, or two of them or something. I am really thinking on getting a pad to draw on. I have priced them before, I think last one I looked at was around 20 bones, $2000, and at the time I did not have the skills yet or the money to throw at it. this is just another example of a door being opened during the journey. I'm colliding with abilities, not sure to continue with visual programming with RTC or work on graphics. I can say the graphics was much more a rewarding feeling, programming leaves a bitter taste, there seems to be a feeling of negativity with it, on the other hand, graphics seem to catch peoples eye pretty fast. it appears visuals are doing better than the practical when it comes to enjoyment. i'll admit I was 5 sheets to the wind on moonshine before I undertook the idea, it just popped in there and flowed like a river. I worked on an idea for an hour yesterday by eyeballing it, kept track of every step with GIMP, so not only can I create one of those pics, I can change it up, too. better equipment is next. all I can say is I am glad I saw your work first, it was encouragement that got through to me in an altered state that I was in

thanks cows
keep your gor coin handy
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

got inspired

Leif
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

hmm, I guess it's delete the encouraging work day is it, talk about inspiration, I just got a spiritual 1000 times of it, heh, when will we ever learn how to work together. still, very good work cows, thanks for the encouragement. what is to come I am looking forward to in a very big way.

have you figured out how to skin that on to 3D characters?
keep your gor coin handy
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

No one has deleted anything.. try refreshing your browser, or checking that your hosting site is not down before accusing people of deleting things. You know what they say about assumptions..
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

I have uploaded my test-program for a while (again):
http://akluwi.de/dmcsb/dmtruecolortest.zip

each original graphic is extracted here into a png-file.
i.e. the characterset is 025pic.png
you could edit cows' graphics in here, and the graphic will appear in the game.
(msvc runtime is needed to run the version).

you could edit all other graphics too, but care for masks.
(to be honest, i had to review my source how i managed to recognize those... - i think bright pink :P)
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I'm just doing these for fun and practice. If you want to use them in Dm, just know I don't know that I will make them all.. depends on a lot of things. I figured people might use them for their avatars if anything.. Which is why I asked who to do next :) So I leave it to you :) Just as long as they are not used for profit.