Copyright

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Copyright

Post by MasterWuuf »

ADMIN NOTE: This post was split from the Dungeon Master for iPad thread. Please read that first.

I wonder how much time is spent by people, trying to get Apple (or whoever) to take care of obvious copyright oversteps/infringements
Spoiler
(steal and sell?)
I've watched the wealthy 'wait out' those with less, for years, not at all surprised at their seeming lack of concern over the costs.
After all, they can afford to 'make less' and accept the lesser increase in wealth,
while those who are just 'getting by' lose their shirts/socks/minds, simply trying to get what 'should' be theirs in the first place.

Hmmm. Things haven't changed much, since the 'rob the work of those who can't afford to fight you' jobs left the hands of the founder. :roll:
"Wuuf's big brother"
Bit
Arch Master

Re: Copyright

Post by Bit »

I don't want to know how many professional projects are based on sourceforge-knowledge.
Old time programmers like me were/are economic idiots.
We will end up in the best case caught by a social net having to answer a lot of painful questions.
The new generation does it another way: Grab a free 3D-engine, grab some textures and a model with club, make a short video, go to kickstarter...
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

Yeah. The unfortunate truth is that too many people know too little about laws like copyright and trademark. This means too many people accidentally get themselves into trouble by either breaking these laws, or not knowing what to do when someone else breaches them on one of your own works. If you are going to be releasing any sort of published material, it's a good idea to take a look at the copyright laws in your area and know what your rights and responsibilities are, and what to do in the event of a dispute, be it that someone claims you have violated their copyright, or you find out that someone has violated yours.

If you don't know enough you can just as easily fall victim to someone wrongly accusing you of violating a copyright even though you haven't, or even that your accuser violated yours and is just trying to discredit you before you can file a claim of your own.

@cows and Alan: I hope you are able to get that copyright infringement of your DM Java work that you fell victim to resolved. I know I'd be pissed off if I found out someone was using my own hard work for profit without my permission.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Limbo of the Lost, anyone? ;)
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Ameena wrote:Limbo of the Lost, anyone? ;)
Is that the sequel to Land of the Lost?
"Wuuf's big brother"
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

wtf!
They didn't ask for Copyright - they did ask if there is something to Copyleft...
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

That article shows an example of exactly the sort of trouble you can get yourself into if you plagiarize, and just plain don't respect other people's hard work. You leave yourself wide open for all kinds of trouble.
wtf!
They didn't ask for Copyright - they did ask if there is something to Copyleft...
Obviously. They just decided if they left out all consideration of copyright laws that it would all be okay, to copy what they want and all will be fine. Of course, what they got instead were 2 wrong feet and a face full of egg.

It boggles the mind to understand how anyone could think they could ever get away with stealing work from such high profile sources as the producers of Limbo of the Lost did.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

If you search these forums you'll find our original chats about Limbo.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

I'll do that.

On another note, looks like cows was successful in getting the copyright infringing DM Ipad game taken down.

Hopefully the developers have learned a valuable lesson from all of this and in the future will make sure they have permission to use all assets in their projects in advance. I think they had a good idea there, but just went about it in a wrong way.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

well they have another clone up there.. I saw when I went to look. Though I'm not certain where the sounds or artwork may have come from in that case.. likely the same thing.. random internet sources..