Cheaper alternative to Cintiq ?

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Cheaper alternative to Cintiq ?

Post by linflas »

I'm asking here just in case.
Wacom Cintiq is the best but also the most expensive solution for digital artists (>700 EUR for 12 inches version). For years, it was the unique solution if you wanted to pencil *on* screen. Main problem is, you have to stay connected to your desktop PC...
Now that we have touch screens everywhere, even some phones and tablets have optional pen provided and basic drawing software, has anyone here tested (maybe bought) any tablet or hybrid-pc with pen ?
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Re: Cheaper alternative to Cintiq ?

Post by cowsmanaut »

A number of people are using tablets. They have sketchbook and pressure sensitive pens these days for them. Galaxy note 10.1 tablet for one, comes with a pressure sensitive pen and decent processing soeed and ram..
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Have you tested Galaxy Note 10.1 ? I've seen some Windows 8 (Pro) tablets coming soon. Already available is Asus Transformer Book, a very interesting hybrid but extremely expensive (> 1300 EUR).
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I did not but my friend did... its nice but he's very picky and wasn't happy with the tiny bit of lag when drawing long strokes
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

I've watched several videos yesterday with people testing different tablets with various software : Galaxy Note 10.1, Hp Envy 2, Asus Vivotab, Lenovo IdeaPad, Sony Vaio Duo 11.
I think i can forget all Android stuff, except if some good pencil app exists... Most of Windows 8 tablets have a cheap processor (Intel Atom). Performances are correct but lags and bugs happen on Photoshop due to pen /touch drivers still in beta :(
I've also discovered real Cintiq low-cost alternatives : Bosto Kingtee and Yiynova... I'm waiting for more info, as they'll come soon in Europe.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Found that today, from Adobe. Looks quite interesting, but I the pen is very laggy when he draws freely.
http://youtu.be/KstD0WZ55I8
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

i was looking at the wacom a few years ago, expensive. i will be buying something along those lines in the future. keep doing the search linflas. it would make dungeon graphics much easier to design.
keep your gor coin handy
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

for your information, Forest of Doom's graphics have been made with a Cintiq 21' screen. My customer i was working for was Renault Design, I miss their hardware a little bit :)
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

yeah, they just came out with the 25" inch one when i was checking them out, i was going to buy it, then as it always is, family expenses and 4 grandchildren slowed me up. i am excited to get it still, maybe for this Christmas if i'm lucky.

i thought you quit FoD????

you might want to go back to it now that true NPCs are here and monster ai, RTC is showing its true colours
keep your gor coin handy