French DM Novel

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Clodius_one
Adept

Re: French DM Novel

Post by Clodius_one »

This map need help from all DM fans for his achievement. Anything you remember or pictures you find in games surrounding Mount Anaias can help me to complete this map. Your comment are welcome. I did Theron's castle only from game's pictures. Cities and village are from my own. You may return often to see my daily update.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/100604938@N06/11088990765/
Last edited by Clodius_one on Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Even if I had given you the smallest bite, my poison will overcome you
Spoiler
Try me!
Lee
Artisan

Post by Lee »

This is a fantastic project and I hope you have the determination to see it through buddy. Like Beo said, the preludes are extremely interesting and for some reason I get a Bard's Tale feel to it and a touch of Game of Thrones where perhaps a chapter is seen through the POV of a character such as Halk's journey from home etc etc.

House Halk :shock: - Winter is coming, so put some bloody clothes on for a change.

I love this stuff!
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

How's your story progressing?
Clodius_one
Adept

Post by Clodius_one »

Hi guys,
I am busy reading but my novel project was a bit slow down since I swiped characters to Alex and Sira. I am stuck with no word to say about her. Is it because I need to speak about a lady? This writing project its new for me but I did not have problem with Halk, Nabi and Alex. I made Alex stealing his daily food, make him jump from house top to escape guards, but now he's waiting lonely in the wood. I want to be relevant with Sira but I still got the blank page. Since a month, I wrote down a descriptive personality for her and hope that will start the spark.

I will come back later

Have an happy new year for everyone !
Spoiler
Try me!
Lee
Artisan

Post by Lee »

Is there a potion to cure writers block?

Take your time mate, it will flow eventually and usually at the most unexpected time and place.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Clodius_one wrote:Hi guys,
I made Alex stealing his daily food, make him jump from house top to escape guards, but now he's waiting lonely in the wood. I want to be relevant with Sira
Since then, I have news from the wood.
Alex was stealing from trap lines set by Syra. She got aware of this and managed to trap him like a wolverine ( comme un carcajou ).
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Clodius_one
Adept

Post by Clodius_one »

I love the idea Terkio : ) Syra doesn't like thiefs and she could want to give him a lesson. I will develope that later but my problem is before they could met each other. I need to creat a world around her: home's clan, family, duty, that kind of stuff.
Spoiler
Try me!
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

I guess it's time to fire up the good old imagination... you can do it! ;)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I thought one of us had done a more full character bio of Syra than the one on the inn ages ago (http://chaos.zpc.cz/syra.html), so it took a while to twig where it was! I had hinted at a story for Syra in a linflas bio I never did post.

Funnily, Linflas's story now seems to mirror Legolas in the Hobbit!
Linflas

Linflas was a beloved son of one of the highest elven houses. Swift of thought and deed, he was equally swift with his heart. He took on his responsibilities in the community early, aiding his people in all areas his household oversaw. Always the most avid speaker in court against an injustice or to plead for resourses.
But his swift heart was eventually captured by a single female, from the first moment he saw her he was smitten. She was a child of nature, innocent and in tune with the environment the elves lived in harmony with. She was in line to be a noble priestess, and as such not to be approached. But Linflas followed his heart, and courted her, and found to his great sadness that her heart was already taken. Not by nature. Not by another. It was a pain to find that she was awaiting someone she didn't even know.
But Linflas's heart was pure, and he devoted himself instead to protecting this woman, allow her to one day find this love.
So he settled his swift mind to the task as head of the household when his father's health failed, and his swift actions helped keep at bay the rising chaos for a time. But leading archers against an arm or directing the actions of warriors against the maw did nothing more than delay Chaos. Linflas realised that the heart of Chaos needed to be sought out, pierced. And then his own heart was torn, for his internal promise to protect Syra conflicted with his responsibility to protect his homeland. But Syra solved this, for she was resolved as the person to have uncovered Chaos's influence to be the one to venture out and stop it. So his split choices merged and he journied with her into the darkness of Mt. Anias.
But his speed of action and thought were not enough to conquer some of the more devious tricks and creatures of the dungeon.
He died defending Syra, not knowing that he had managed to deliver his beloved to her true love. Will he remain dead, never being able to find his own true love? Never being able to deliver his people by learning the temperance and contemptlation?

Anyway, good luck with it, don't worry too much about it and your brain will work it out in the background. Always just write an interesting character first, and I'm sure you will weave the story and refinements around that.
Clodius_one
Adept

Post by Clodius_one »

This is great idea, very nice Beo. I know Linflas was available but I didn't want to match them, I didn't think to twist it like that, And I was stopped by Syra's missing portrait.

I am presently learning a new Paint program, but soon it is in my head, I will trow my mind in DM's world. Alex need to behave in Syra's forest or she will hang him high by the feet... humm! another good idea.
Spoiler
Try me!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

But I AM GAY ! I'm not satisfied with that false biography : is is pure invention from some stinky hairy little creature. Eeeeeek !
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

A stinky, hairy creature that no one can agree whether it is male or female too no less :P
Clodius_one
Adept

Post by Clodius_one »

Hello! I am back with new ideas. In this new chapter, you will be witness Alex meeting Syra, then, be not surprised seeing alternately the photos of the next two warriors who will have everything to learn with each other:
The young man; selfish, pretentious, without respect with people (especially rich people) and environment around him. Above all, the biggest of a little mown thief, but it was according to him only a question of time before he steals the most beautiful fortune of the rich people and becomes important. His plan was that he wanted to be forgotten for a while before he infiltrates the next city.

The young woman elf was very sensitive to her environment, she was attuned to their need and spoke with every being that she found in the forest, she understood them perfectly. The most surprising, it is that animals also understand her. It is for this faculty that she possessed that the high elf’s community nicknamed her 'the child of the nature'. Syra possessed a strong character imposing against the adversity. She could be so stubborn and take offence when her pair blamed and accusing of wasting her time and her energy against waste of time beforehand. Eventually, her determination proved has all that her magic naturally acquired by her maternal grandmother rewarded the efforts... the little owl almost died she had found and reported in the village, recovered and flew away. She lay disturbed tonight, but she attributed this feeling disturbed at the fact that her little pet have finally regain his freedom.

After this, the unfortunate thief... for the moment, has said for himself, was forced to save his skin by leaving the city of Banville... his city corrected himself again, Alex took refuge in one of the ten great elf’s forests. Having no respect for the nature and for the life that shelters there, he wanted to hunt the big prey for fun of chase and fell on the track of a young hind mother. After suffering from an arrow, she runs away suffering alone.

Syra suddenly woke up in the morning all sweaty and yelled in his room. She understood that it was not a nightmare after she saw in a dream the drama that was going to happen to one of its protected in the forest. She did not know how long it was going to happen but the certainty was haunted... it was in the near future.

Led by the vision of the animal in distress, Syra found the wounded hind. Thank God, it was not so bad. She removed the arrow and cured its wound. She prepared her self to find the beast intruder of her world and promises herself to make him suffer has much as she has felt the pain through the soul of the hind. She set up a booby trap and waits. The next day, the patience had paid the price. A disproportionate rabies rose in her, and at the last moment, Syra was going to charge him for the sufferings imposed but she couldn’t resolve has to commit the irreparable to pass to the final act there. The fury has left her spirit...
Last edited by Clodius_one on Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler
Try me!
Clodius_one
Adept

Post by Clodius_one »

Hi guys,

Since I'm describing territories in my novel, I had put hypothetical direction on my description. Is there anyone can tell me on which direction the north is pointing on Boewuuf's map.

Thanks
Spoiler
Try me!
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

If it follows standard cartography rules for maps, north would be to the top.
Clodius_one
Adept

Post by Clodius_one »

This is what I tough. Good guess I think. I can remove my red flags on my directions then.
Thanks
Spoiler
Try me!
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

BTW that segment of story you wrote looks sort of like a flashback to when Syra and Alex might have first met, before the events of DM.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Should be standard directions unless the Theron's Quest map has an odd orientation
Clodius_one
Adept

Post by Clodius_one »

Because of the fact that the administration of the forum cannot reach has my demand to keep all my images personalized on each post and also for the confusion which can carry to the others members by having the same avatar. From now on I shall keep the image of Hisssaa which is not without displeasing me and is also one of my creations. I shall thus have fun has to give him postures and different expressions.
Spoiler
Try me!
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Clodius, i see it says Canada, Ottawa. are you Canadian??? i thought you're in France.
it was a bit confusing with different avatars, but i am a confusing person so i was ok with it :)
keep your gor coin handy
Clodius_one
Adept

Post by Clodius_one »

Yes I am Canadian! And I live in the border of the capital city. Yes I know it's was confusing. When I started to change my avatar, it took me a while to notice that my old pictures was changed too. But I'm stuck with a lizard tale for good. At the beginning I was nervous. Sometime it surprised me when I saw it pointing. I tough someone was following me.
Spoiler
Try me!
Lee
Artisan

Post by Lee »

The stretch between Ottawa/Gatineau to Montreal and the rest of Quebec is like a mini-France so it's easy to confuse!
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Clodius_one wrote:Yes I am Canadian! And I live in the border of the capital city. Yes I know it's was confusing. When I started to change my avatar, it took me a while to notice that my old pictures was changed too. But I'm stuck with a lizard tale for good. At the beginning I was nervous. Sometime it surprised me when I saw it pointing. I tough someone was following me.
I too thought you were French, and now it turns out you're French Canadian. LOL, it would seem that the entire Castle Lynchgate team is Canadian then, and represents three major parts of Canada, the west, the east and the French speaking parts of Canada. Such diversity is one of the things I love about this country! :)

@Lee: I see you're also Canadian. If this Canadian Connection trend continues, I guess you'll end up doing some work on Castle Lynchgate too, eh? :P
Lee
Artisan

Post by Lee »

lol actually I'm a cockney from East London, UK but I moved here in 2006. A citizen now though so I'll represent, sure 8)
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Must've been a bit of a culture shock going from London, UK to Montreal, Quebec, Canada for you.

Go to watch a Footie game and find guys dressed like tanks baching each other around on that huge Canadian gridiron, and all that.
Clodius_one
Adept

Post by Clodius_one »

After a lot of work done to the Dungeon Master map, It's hard to work in the dark, because I had never played others game then DM and CSB.
I don't know if I am doing right. By the way, I was wondering. Does anyone knows where should be the location of CSB on the map ?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100604938 ... 088990765/

Do you like the way it goes. It's still time to inflict modifications before I'm done.
Spoiler
Try me!
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I see you have updated the map, great stuff. I wish I could help out with the map. so far this is looking excellent. I have been using it for a 3D map using sketchup for learning it.
keep your gor coin handy
Clodius_one
Adept

Post by Clodius_one »

I guys,

Drawing this huge map is very creative and fun to do. It's amazing how things become connected between locations. I learned hard to give it some sort of 3D look. I want to create an iconic design for each location and that's take more place, then I extended the map twice since the beginning and I'm sure I will do a few more times. I had a lesson when I have put some texture to the ground before I had to shuffle with locations again. Some places give me headache on how to guess what should they look.
Ak Tu Ba: On the picture, the floating city is so tiny then I can't see what kind of city it look like. I understand it could be open style but is there someone who can give me some hints.
The city of Formica: Maybe I'm wrong but it's look like stalactites and stalagmites joined together, or with some imagination, it could be some sort of weird trees.
Deamon's gate: I had no clue then I did it the easy way. I gave it the look of a mountain.
Ai-Demon thingie: I have no ideas yet for that place. Any comment?
If you think somehow I am going on the wrong way, please give me some suggestions.
Spoiler
Try me!
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

the map is important, it will be the guidelines for future dungeons and stories. I believe you should create what ever you feel is the right thing, whatever the imagination blesses you with. with the new method of travel we should be able to incorporate the map into DM. your mapping is giving a sense of location, great work!
keep your gor coin handy
Clodius_one
Adept

Post by Clodius_one »

I didn't know if they could be mixed with other civilians people so this weekend I drew a Japanese city for our 2 champions Iaido and Wu Tse. It was gratifying to give them a nice home for our heroes.
Spoiler
Try me!