French DM Novel

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Clodius_one
Adept

French DM Novel

Post by Clodius_one »

I am new in this forum and apparently, I am making some weird search about Dungeon Master. I am writing a DM Novel in French and look for some crucial information.

First, I would like to find all characters biographies before Dungeon Master, especially on Halk, Syra, Nabi and Alex. According to DM introduction, they are the first champions to enter in mount Anaias. I found great jobs done on
http://www.similarsites.com/goto/chaos.zpc.cz
Unfortunately, some bios very important to me are missing in the list. And I think that by respect for copyright, I should ask permission to use these texts.

Second, I am wondering if anyone drew an exterior map of mount Anaias with territories surrounding, including forest, rivers and villages. A kind of map like Bilbo has in his possession in Lord of the ring. I am questioning myself. Where was the champion’s location on the map before they entered in the dungeon?

Third, is there someone know about an approximate timeline of the champions entrance. All I know is the two years period between Grey Lord attempt on extracting the power gem and Theron Dungeon's entrance.

If anyone has information and welling to share with me, it will be very appreciate.
Even if I had given you the smallest bite, my poison will overcome you
Spoiler
Try me!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: Creative Projects for Pleasure & Profit

Post by Ameena »

Hi :). I replied to the comment you posted on my website about a week ago (and then Beowuuf replied shortly after that), but basically there isn't really any official info on any of the characters, or the location, beyond what's given in the backstory for the game. Pretty much any info you could want can be found in the DM Encyclopaedia (found at dmweb.free.fr), but with regards to fluff stuff like charcater biographies, there basically aren't any - those that do exist are ones that have been made up by fans.
Grand Master

Re: Creative Projects for Pleasure & Profit

Post by zoom »

Hi, you can also watch the intro of CSB for Amiga.
There is the Mount Anais depicted alongside the Army of Chaos with a bit of scenery.
Or the ending screen of Dungeon Master, where you can take a look at the village.

The Video of DM2 is kind of from another period in time (both real and ingame),
also the style is a bit different, so maybe for purists you may opt to leave this one out.

anyways, watching the little videos is something I would recommend to you
but as always, it is an interpretation of an artist of the story

Then, if you compare the actual gameplay with the introductory story you might find discrepancies.
But if you write much (check yer spelling!) you should be able to cope with that.

Good Luck
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: French DM Novel

Post by beowuuf »

Won't be settled until tomorrow, the only quick thing I will say (other than glad the mesage approved and someone managed to separate it) was that I think the firegem incident happens a year before the DM game? And CSB takes place 13 months after DM?

Theron's quest really happens before DM, how soon before is up to you :)
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

FR : Salut Clodius, est-ce un roman classique ou un livre interactif ?
EN : Hi Clodius, is it a classic or an interactive novel ?
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
Clodius_one
Adept

Post by Clodius_one »

linflas wrote:FR : Salut Clodius, est-ce un roman classique ou un livre interactif ?
EN : Hi Clodius, is it a classic or an interactive novel ?
Hi guys,
I want to thank you all for your welcome and advices. :D I was reading and watching yours great works for years and was too shy to join the forum. I was just a little grunt without experience. :oops:
I checked these sites long time ago but didn’t find what I need. I saw the DM intro and try to work on a 3D mount Anais/Anaias for a map I want to put at the beginning. If it’s the spelling Zoom was referring to, that’s weird because I found 2 different ways on the Web. Even in DM intro it was writing Anaias, if it’s my English, never mind, I’m not perfect bilingual but not offended. I will try to do my best. It’s not 2 years Theron woke up from his nightmares?
It’s a classic French novel I am doing. The path structure is all done and presently, I’m working on character’s emotions and closing gaps events. My big challenge is my intro because of the lack of information. I started before the game timeline with the four first champions from their exile; they met each other and their entrance in the dungeon. I had no ideas of their origins until I found the bios made by Beowuuf. I’m afraid it’s exactly fluff stuff I’m looking for.
Spoiler
Try me!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Indeed, a year, unless I@m missing another reference!
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/412

Here's a very scrappy map I made for the hypothetical lay out of the DM world.
http://www.dmjump.net/worldmap.jpg

Here's the basic notes I wrote out. Theron's quest might seem like the least canon-like of the games, but I think it's got enough hints of history that can be made to work. I pulled a surprising amount out of it for my D&D game

Also here's a note I made about the ages of the world (mostly just an idea to tie in with DM Java's own dungeon story.
http://www.dmjump.net/worldmap.doc

The First Age. The demons ruled the lands. However, a benevolent god forged the Power Gem and blasted the lands to ice, forcing the demons to flee. The benevolent souls saved were thawed by the Power Gem from the ice, and thus the mortal races - even the High Lords - were allowed freedom.

The Age of the Fighter. It is said the demons of the dark places found a way to infest the lands, despite the power of the Power Gem, living as Dragons. The mortal races were required to earn what was given to them. In timey the vanquished or tamed the currupted forms of the demons, forming pacts or trapping them deep in the deepst places. The mortal races took possession of their lands and marked their borders, assured of their claim.

The Age of the Thief. In time the mortal races knew jealousy of each other, and politics and war saw the races contending one with another. It was said at this time that some High Lords decided to directly come and steer such confrontations, and others turned their backs on the mortal races. Only one remained on this plane and aloof.

The Age of the Wizard. One by one all the High Lords left this realm, save one who turned his back on mortals but remained. The mortal races sought the power of the High Lords, and strove high and deep. In time, they discovered and understanding of Mana, and of Runes, and of the forms of the world. The Great Wars started, rivalling those previous wars. For now every king and soldier could potentially summon the power of the High Lord.

The Age of Priest. In time the races came to a standstill, and looked upon the damage they had done. Some used magic for good, and many looked externally for forgiveness, even praying to the High Lords to come back and restore what once was. Religeons grew in power as orders were formed to ensure the communications of nations, and the restoration of cultures that were lost. It was this age that should have seen new enlightenments and greater brotherhood between nations and races.

The Great Catastrohpy. It is said the the Grey Lord dug too deep in the mountain where he dwelt, and discovered a power so great that one of his greatest enemies - Lord Chaos - came back to steal it. The world was torn and evil creatures and evil warlords were allowed to hold sway as Lord Chaos strove for ultimate power. The Grey Lord was finally forced to reveal himself as the Bringer of Order, and defeated his rival.

It is unknown what this age that follows will be called, looking back. For now some nations look to bring back the golden age of the Age of the Priest, and others cannot afford to do anything but close themselves off to recover. The world is still too freshly wounded, and all wait with baited breath lest more High Lords return, or something darker has already used the Catastrophy to gain a foothold.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

Thanks for posting this beo. Not only will this info be undoubtedly very useful for Clodius_one in writing his stories, but it will also be very useful for me in developing my series of custom dungeons starting with Lynchgate.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

@claudius_one: I'd like to wish you luck on your novel writing, I'm sure you'll tell an amazing story. I can only hope for an English translation as I'd love to read your story but I don't know any French, unfortunately.
Misskarna
Journeyman

Post by Misskarna »

Yeah same; I would love to read your story to see how it differs to the one I am doing. For the firestaff scene I did mine a several years earlier to keep it a bit realistic on the dungeon being built insde of the volcano.

Kind regards
Karna
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

@karna: welcome to the forum! 8-) I'd love to see what kinds of DM-set stories you are coming up with too.
Clodius_one
Adept

Post by Clodius_one »

Beowuuf gave us the most complete map I saw of the region, thanks. Maybe I am wrong, is it the only complete map that exist. If yes, I would like to send a call to every DM fans with particular infos related to that map. We could put the map on the Web, concentrate our efforts, and make it more accurate. I would like to use it at the beginning of my French novel. It is difficult to work alone on this drawing because I do not know these sites surrounding the mount Anaias.

There is where I put the map and made a few upgrades. You are invited to give comment on it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100604938 ... 088990765/

Thanks to all.
Last edited by Clodius_one on Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spoiler
Try me!
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Clodius_one wrote:Here's a very scrappy map I made for the hypothetical lay out of the DM world.
There, where I put the map and made a few esthetical upgrades.
https://plus.google.com/?hl=fr&partnerid=gplp0

Thanks to all.
Can you repost that somewhere else? I had to log in and when I did I couldn't find it there (part of the problem is that everything's in French which I don't understand).

Also, if you're quoting someone else, it's a good idea to put the quoted part inside the quote tags so it's clear you're repeating someone else's words and don't intend to take the credit for yourself. I know from reading your post that you did not mean anything like that but just be aware of the "Quote" tags and make use of them.
Clodius_one
Adept

Post by Clodius_one »

Yes, you're right. I mess up when I deleted too much not necessary information from Beowuuf quote. Sorry Beowuuf!
Unfortunately I encounter problem to save an image on the Web and make it public. If someone can do it for me, It will be appreciate.
Spoiler
Try me!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I thought google drive or dropbox was supposed to be easy to share files large and small? :(
Clodius_one
Adept

Post by Clodius_one »

Ok guys,

I need some help in my novel. I will try to describe most faithfully possible the same rules of the DM game. But for certain points, I have a dilemma has to solve.

The fire (light): torches are switched off at first when they are on sconce's walls, on the ground or in champion's compartments. And they ignite automatically when the champions hold them in their hands. I would like to know the way that they took themselves there to switch on them without a damn match or even a BBQ lighter ; )
I tried not to include too many foreign elements in the dungeon, but it’s reminiscent of the science fiction. I thought I have to give them a wooden kit as a small board and a stick and a small moss. But I do not find that too discreet. They can also use stones of flint.

What do you think about it?
Spoiler
Try me!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I suppose you could always do it magically rather than physically - all characters have the potential to be able to cast spells (even those who start with no mana, like Stamm - they can always get some by holding, say, a wand, and cast spells until they gain a Wizard/Priest level and get some actual mana that way), so maybe all torches contain the essence of Ful (the fire rune), and when someone holds a torch, the contact of the torch with their mana-containing hand (even if only trace amounts, ie not enough to count as one mana point) causes it to ignite the power of Ful and start the torch burning, because that's all a torch is for - burning for a few minutes until its Ful energy has dissipated and it burns out.
Or something.
Adept

Post by Clodius_one »

Thanks to clarify that info. I always though they forgot to explain that point in the game why the torch ignite by them self.

For Stamm, I never think to give him Nabi's magic stick. Maybe because I never play them together, thanks again for this info. And I had so much fun to fill him up with potions to make him sick until he stabilizes his Mana.
Spoiler
Try me!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, the thing about a torch igniting because of automatic magic channeling is something I just made up on the spot ;). But it's true that you can equip certain items on characters in-game to give them more mana. The Moonstone is one, as are the Wand and Teowand...and the Staff, I think. And a few other bits and pieces, probably.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I took a few liberties in my DM story, but one of the contrivances was that some of Chaos's created torches could be struck on the ground to light like a match. Some of the torches around - especially on the ground, etc, were normal torches that other adventurers had carried in. But that was how I gave the DM feel of torches just lighting - the champions struck them :)
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

I think the automatic lighting of torches was also used as a simplification of characters either using trace amounts of mana or some other fire-starting method (eg: flint and metal such as iron or steel to produce sparks) to light the torches. You could easily go any direction you want on that, or use some combination of methods.
Misskarna
Journeyman

Post by Misskarna »

The way I did it in my story so far :-

They were all special torches made by chaos and that only my sorceress could light using the Ful Rune. It is explained when the fighter could not light it later on level two, when Sana the Sorceress was sleeping. Also for my spell system I noted that Sana needed more practise before her ful Rune could be used on its own like in the game, trying to keep that realism as much as possible, but at the same time having the fantasy D &D aspect as well.
Clodius_one
Adept

Post by Clodius_one »

Hi Guys,

In my Novel, I have returned to my intro where I am starting with Halk leaving his new home in the West Mountains. That's the place I have chosen for his country’s exile after his family was murdered. So he traveled through many forests and, mid-way during his travel, he encountered a pack of wolves. I think I did a good job there combatting theses wolves.
How many do you think Halk can manage to fight, counting on his strength and a little luck?

All bets are on.
Spoiler
Try me!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

If there are the same size as pain rats and hellhounds, between two and four. That's how many a player could comfortably tackle in the open air!
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

If they're normal sized wolves, I'd say between 4 and 8, with most of them probably running away when he kills a couple (predators usually prefer weak pray that doesn't fight back and kill them).
Clodius_one
Adept

Post by Clodius_one »

He had five against him, whose more fearless young one remained hidden in the shadow behind which waited that the leader of the pack gives him the order to attack. Maybe I don't need to say, that evening, Halk was able to eat in its hunger...
Spoiler
Try me!
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

in Essence Of Chaos, if the player is lucky enough to have the pendant ferral, the woves are benevolent.
keep your gor coin handy
Clodius_one
Adept

Post by Clodius_one »

Don't be surprised if I changed my Avatar. In my novel, Halk arrived alive at Viborg Village but he was thrown in prison after having given a punch to the Duke de Banville. His bad luck turned when he met Nabi who released him and together they left together Viborg village and headed to Mount Anayas.
I am now developing Alex Anders and have fun: Since a year Leyla left him because of unprofitable Prifits, he wast his time on a miserable and easy life in Banville. He's steeling only small valuables things and resale his treasures on the black market just enough to get his daily meal. One night, soon after he had stolen the most beatiful treasure of his career of theif, the pendant feral, he was forced to leave the town to escape a guard's chase...

I realised since I changed my public site to Flickr I did not give you the link. There you will find Beowuuf's map who I did little modifications and a few of my creations.

Beside of my Novel, my colaboration with Serious Unserious and Chaos Chaman help me to see another side not reveiled of me. With my school architecture experience, I never think I was able to do artistic project creation. I would not say that they are masterpieces but I manage well enough.

Clodius_one

http://www.flickr.com/photos/100604938@N06/
Spoiler
Try me!
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

thanks for the link, i am just loving the work you're doing. it will be fantastic when SU works on his next dungeon and incorporates all the champions as NPCs PCs monsters etc. your work will really be appreciated when we get that into the game, i am excited to see your story as well. and beowuufs stories too. with the ai each character will have a special ability, usually whatever they had as a monster before, or suiting to their appearances. great work Clodius!
keep your gor coin handy
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I like the little touches to the map, and the story just with the portraits themselves for Halk's journey

The preludes and meeting stories are sound very interesting. Can't wait to read the final versions!