Dungeon master Trilogy Story Project (Novel)!

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Misskarna
Journeyman

Dungeon master Trilogy Story Project (Novel)!

Post by Misskarna »

Hi All,

My name is Karna am I am new to these forums, but have visited them many times in the past to read stuff and learn about dungeon designing, which I do in legend of Grimrock now. I have been working on a story for the original dungeon master, not sure if I am posting this in the write place please move it if it is wrong :-)

The story is spread between three books I am still working on the first one, which is called Journey to the Tomb of the Firestaff!
I have published it on my website for any old nostalgia that would like to read it and tell me what they think of the story so far.

Here is a direct link to the contents page it is totally free to read.

http://karnas-creative-writing.com/word ... tents-page

It is up to the level after the worms now and it took me 17 chapters to get there, lol, i tried to do as much character interaction and little background of the dungeon master world, but mainly fantasy in my own mind.

Kind regards
Karna
Last edited by Misskarna on Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Dungeon master Trilogy Story Project!

Post by beowuuf »

Welcome to the forums!

Nice to see people coming up still writing things based on the original DM. I've attempted the same sort of thing myself, and indeed you can consume chapters easily having fun justifying all the world and dungeon delve. Hopefully I'll find some free time to read it soon!

I'll let people say 'hey' but will move this to the creative endeavors soon.
Misskarna
Journeyman

Re: Dungeon master Trilogy Story Project!

Post by Misskarna »

Thanks, Beowuuf, I hope you will like it and feel free to comment on it.
it really is a game where a story can come to life; I was proofreading it and it really felt like I was taking a trip through dungeon master I didnt use a party from the game characters though made a party of four to try and keep it as realistic as possible with the D & D aspects kept in there :-)

And please move it to the correct section as was not sure where it should go! :-)

Kind regards
Karna!
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Re: Dungeon master Trilogy Story Project (Novel)!

Post by Seriously Unserious »

I read a bit of your writing, I don't have the time to read the whole thing ATM but you definitely have the ability to paint a picture with words. You're writing style's a bit different from what I usually read, but there's nothing wrong with different, that's good, it means you're creating your own unique style, so keep on being different. :)
Misskarna
Journeyman

Post by Misskarna »

Thanks you so much Seriously Unseriouis for your kind words, I agree I have unique style as others have told me as well on my 18+ stuff as well, lol :-)

The main aim of the story is I am trying to tell it as if someone is telling the story (third person), but mainly focusing around the four people, Theron chose. I want each character to be unique as well and to have real relationships. I will work more on doing that once the story is finished fully so they do not all speak the same etc and work on their backgrounds.

I am starting a course on Monday so not sure how much time I will have to write more I always post the new chapters on the front of the website.

Kind regards
Karna
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Welcome to the forums Misskarna!

I have had a read of the first few chapters, very nice. As Beo said it is good to see people working on new material for DM.
Misskarna
Journeyman

Post by Misskarna »

Thanks and nice to meet you as well, oh_Brother; just call me Karna though :-)
Misskarna
Journeyman

Post by Misskarna »

Good news is my coursework is only taking me 2 hours a day on my course so I can write on weekends and weekdays, but I am making Dungeon master type dungeon in grimrock as well!
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Now I'm going to have to buy Grimrock so I can try your dungeon when it's ready. I've been meaning to buy it all year but kept forgetting though...
Misskarna
Journeyman

Post by Misskarna »

Aww thanks!

I have done 6 floors done atm will finish 7 today I won't release on nexus until its finished though. Germanys wallset is awesome makes it fell like Dungeon Master.

I also been stumbling on my story I got up to first swamp slime type creature I know in the game is not a non-materialized being; however I want story keep a realism aspect as so you cannot really cut slime I need to find a way to kill them.

Maybe I could explain they just have slime on the outside, but it is still green flesh and blood on the inside of the creature!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Do you mean a Water Elemental? Those are literally just an intelligent puddle of water. The only other non-material beings I can remember in DM are Ghosts, Fire Elementals, and Spell Vines. You can just say that they can only be harmed by magical weapons (which is true, after all - Vorpal Blades are magical...they even give a small number of mana points to the wielder, if I remember rightly, and grant Wizard exp when used), which pierce their essence when a normal blade will just slice through as though there's nothing there (because physically, there isn't, really).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Level 5 Ameena - the poison slimes that shoot bolts at you!

And if you are going for D&D echoes, they would be the same category as gel cubes. I htink the idea is always you just hack it in to so many pieces it can no longer function. Perhaps they are more cell-like, and if you destroy enough cells it ceases to be alive.

I'd not actually considered them a problem. To be honest, they had a more organic and mystical origin when I was brainstorming how to handle that level.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ohh wait, yeah, I just re-read the post. Oops, lol. Yeah, they're material creatures. So yeah, maybe you can just hack them to bits, lop off all their tentacles and stuff...
Journeyman

Post by Misskarna »

I will definitely use the hack and slash approach then as I want to use the Vorpal blade for the other elemental type creatures (Water, Materializer, fire elemental.)

thanks for the help guys and girls! :-)

This one is also my first projectile-type creature in the story, which makes the story get more interesting!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

They're buggers, but I'm still always more scared of the coatyls :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, the Flying Snakes are nasty - fast movers, flying, and with a nasty bite :(. But these days I just tend to skip Level Five and go straight along the corridor and down to Level Six, lol :).
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

welcome to the forum Karna... DM needs those stories, keep writting. i look forward to it when it is done.
keep your gor coin handy
Misskarna
Journeyman

Post by Misskarna »

Thanks Chaos :-)

You can read what I done so far though on my website that I posted or tis on my profile :-)
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

i just might, i do not want to spoil me, i mean the stories ending :) i'll have Fulcrum fly in with a small tattered note attached to his left foot then i'll read the story. Theron and i have been sending him back and forth for decades. we've been in scuffles over Veyla after the last town dance in Viborg while she was dunken for apples that were picked that day from her fathers orchards. i can vividly remember then, her long hair blowing in the wind, once in a while revealing her beautiful eyes, steel blue as though she had reached up in the twilight sky and snatched the colour from it. ever since that time my heart has been longing for her to be at my side, but Theron would not have that. one morning i woke up to a noose of henna at my front door, i took that as a warning and have ever since been friends with Theron, but i still dream of her.
keep your gor coin handy
Misskarna
Journeyman

Post by Misskarna »

Aww, that was really cool to read :-)
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

just having fun karna
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Ameena wrote:Yeah, the Flying Snakes are nasty - fast movers, flying, and with a nasty bite :(. But these days I just tend to skip Level Five and go straight along the corridor and down to Level Six, lol :).
not to mention one of the most poisonous in the game...

@misskarna: glad to see you're still writing, don't ever stop.
Misskarna
Journeyman

Post by Misskarna »

Will try to but with ff14 out now and my studies I am having little time to add to it, but I will finish it in my lifetime :P
Clodius_one
Adept

Post by Clodius_one »

Hi Karna,

T be consistent I have two things I would like to use from your story in mine with your permission, its the name you chose for your tavern: the Adventurer Welcome. I would like my champions met in a tavern and I don't think there are many in that little Viborg village. I will translate in French 'les Aventuriers Bienvenus'

Secondly, I would like to include the wooden bridge you use to reach Mount Anaias. I read your characters broke it when they pass through it. My champions will see it collapsed and they will find another way.
Even if I had given you the smallest bite, my poison will overcome you
Spoiler
Try me!
Misskarna
Journeyman

Post by Misskarna »

That is fine, and I am honoured you would like to use some of my content from my story! :-)
Misskarna
Journeyman

Post by Misskarna »

I released what I did so far in my Grimrock Dungeon Master style dungeon, but its incomplete atm.

I don't have time beta test it sadly as I have studies + work. Not sure if I am allowed to post links so its on Grimrock nexus under Tomb of the Firestaff. I need to learn how script the water metre and the champions as well I am not very good with LUA scripting.

Not had time write more of my story either, but I will finish it sometimes in my lifetime :-)

- Karna
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Please link away!
Misskarna
Journeyman

Post by Misskarna »

My legend of grimrock mods.

http://grimrock.nexusmods.com/mods/346/ ... 26id%3D346 this one is for dungeon master remake. note this is not finished yet but it has quite a few levels for you to play. It is more a linear style dungeon. but I added some shortcuts back to get a secret later etc.

I also did a remake of Knightmare now with forest textures/invisable wall maze; its as close as i could get it due to some mechanics in Knightmare where the dungeon turns somehow.

http://grimrock.nexusmods.com/mods/118/ ... 26id%3D118
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ooh, Knightmare, I never did finish that game! Swarmed by baby dragons somewhere and never got back to it. Or my save corrupted.
Misskarna
Journeyman

Post by Misskarna »

Ah yes, that part on crown and in original they had super speed to. It was tough game to complete back then with no walkthroughs I managed to complete, but that dizzy rooms was crazy four switches with so many cominations I just pressed anything to solve it, ha ha.