Dungeon master Trilogy Story Project (Novel)!

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Re: Dungeon master Trilogy Story Project (Novel)!

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

i loved the magic wands in Knightmare, blalalalalalla, hehe, but a real tough game to finish.
keep your gor coin handy
Misskarna
Journeyman

Post by Misskarna »

Will try to get some more of the story written over next few months got to start working on CH 18 :-)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Good! I will have to get back to reading it all at some point!
Misskarna
Journeyman

Post by Misskarna »

I started writing more and updated it directly on the page for chapter 18. my only concern now is book 3 may be a lot shorter than the other two as I am going to start three after getting the master key maybe I can enhance the tomb of the firestaff and the bottom part a bit dividing it into more chapters.
I read my story when I was proof reading and it kind of felt like doing a playthrough of the game, just with words like the surroundings, which is the effect I was looking for when writing a novel about it.
If this all goes well I may write Chaos Strikes back at some point thought I have other stories I want to write on my site :-)

Oh and another thing I really need is someone that is great and drawings would love to feature illustrations next to the story as well, but I am not a good drawer, lol.
Misskarna
Journeyman

Post by Misskarna »

http://karnas-creative-writing.com/wordpress/?p=981

here is some more of chapter 18, which is still a work in progress I might change the chapter name depending how far I get into it, but the name seems perfect so far!

I need some help with the blue-hazy teleport maze on level 5 what is the actual solution to get to treasure stores area as this will be most likely my first area I explore and be part of chapter 18.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

If you have Return to Chaos, it should come with the .txt file for Dungeon Master, which you can just load into the editor that also comes with it and look at it in there, you'll see the solution quite clearly that way.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Also the encyclopaedia has the maps

Right back forward left right back, a mirror of dawn and poison dart appear at the first two steps
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Will you have your heroes solving the puzzle wandering randomly ?
I guess not. They will run in circles and will have to come up with some reasonable approach.
They should find the trick to leave objects on the floor to identify places they already have seen.
Once it is all solved, they could pick back all of their stuff.

This teleporter maze is easy. No spinner. Not all places are used, only 10.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

hey sugarpuff, nice work. i enjoyed it, could easily visualise it, if there were sound effects while reading it, i'd be there. love your work.
keep your gor coin handy
Misskarna
Journeyman

Post by Misskarna »

Update on my DM Trilogy.

Thank you all for your kind words, I have mainly been proof reading and improving the chapters so far once I have caught up I can continue, and I do say it felt like I actually started a new game when I was reading it up to cavemen level.

For the forcefield puzzle I will have characters interact like in real life, working together trying to solve puzzles. Anger will play parts in annoying/complexed puzzles as well.

Work as kept me a bit busy, but going to try and dedicate couple hours every weekend to write more of my story.
Misskarna
Journeyman

Post by Misskarna »

Update on my story I been going through and enhancing the first 18 chapters and I have more time to dedicate to finally finishing book one soon, I only have slime floor and skeleton floor and the adventurers will reach the tomb of the firestaff!

Although the Skeleton floor is massive!
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Good work Karna!
Misskarna
Journeyman

Post by Misskarna »

This project is not dead I just been super busy I am picking it back up again and plan to finish this book!

I am reading through it to see feels I get and yeah I picture myself going through the dungeon ha ha. I am going to try release it, will be one book at a time, but I will most likely change the name of the trilogy due to copyright once I have found a professional editor to help me lose unnecessary stuff and errors.

I am using word this time though, but I can easily upload it somewhere for you guys to read.
Misskarna
Journeyman

Post by Misskarna »

Chapter 18 finally ready, and working on chapter 19.

http://karnas-creative-writing.com/word ... ure-stores
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

lovely, it leaves me wondering what's behind the next wall, corner, haze, pressure plate.
keep your gor coin handy
Misskarna
Journeyman

Post by Misskarna »

Thanks Chaos glad you are enjoying it I am halfway through chapter 19 atm, this is where i decided to put some more backstory interaction, not going to force it all into one book, there is simply too much, I will end book at firestaff level where you have search for remaining keys that are hidden deep.

I am also thinking of doing something big between the characters to happen on floor 6, I counted entrance as floor 1, so 7 will be the tomb this time.

Oh and my site will be staying, so once I write in word i'll pop it on the website, it comes under same hosting package as my, wwe Natalya fansite
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Awesome karna. Your walk through story gives light of the journey in Mt Anaias. Great detail. There is always room for more DM within my heart and in the hearts of many others who fell in love with the game.
Thank you.
keep your gor coin handy
Misskarna
Journeyman

Post by Misskarna »

So the name you said is the mountain, I decided to go with my own world to avoid copyright issues if I do find a publisher that does like it when its finished.

I might make a dungeon in csbwin, if people still play original dungeon master or maybe in DM Java. I would make it like dm java dungeon (only got to dragon lair, but miss one key so far I do like Alandales dungeon its, challenging and the puzzles are great so far!) where you can explore and have to come back to areas with items, if you choose to, the one thing with grimrock editor if you don't know lua scripting you are big disadvantage where csbwin you don't need to know single piece of scripting to make a dungeon. I also like you can give monsters different health too, though can do that in grimrock 2 editor, So I might give it a try along with my story.

I think I can make a very good dungeon if, I put the time into it, when i do timed puzzles i make sure i can complete with 2/4 second window usually and not gate the way forward or give an alternative route. It will have difficulty curve for new player - to difficult at the end or maybe if you try fight something early you may have harder time doing it, risk vs reward, I like that style of rpg usually. Also what platform would you prefer it on csbwin, legend of grimrock 2, or dmjava.
Misskarna
Journeyman

Post by Misskarna »

So I forgot how long even basic dungeon designing can take, so I will focus more on the Novel, and do the dungeon very slowly. Chapter 19 will be finished this week and 20 next week, going to try and do 1 chapter a week, ordered a new keyboard, so I can type easier as this one is old :P

Its just finding the time with all my other stuff I am doing :P
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I feel you there. It's allocation of said given time. Creativity needs many hours, not minutes. Those moments of deep contemplation, extrapolating, imaginative nerve impulses into an idea through synaptic connections. :P
keep your gor coin handy
Misskarna
Journeyman

Post by Misskarna »

That is true. Chaos, I don't like to rush anything.

The dungeon I want to make is dungeon master 3 I think, not sure i to do it on csbwin or Java, Grimrock 2 is nice, but its going limit my puzzles I think, and don't know how script choosing chars so I am gonna try DM Java, one I think. but the ability add underwater caverns is a nice touch, its mainly scripting I don't understand like how to spawn an alcove where as Java editor it does it all for you and so does CSBWIN. The bad thing with CSBWIN it has no in editor testing, but java I think you can carry on even if a dungeon changes?

On the story part, I am going to write more over weekend when I have the time, chapter 19 seems be coming along nicely, you get to learn about the characters bkgs more and what drives the warrior princess Karna, though shes not a princess, but character is meant resemble a Xena, but with a shield.
Clodius_one
Adept

Post by Clodius_one »

@ Misskarna: I wanted to tell you that I admire your novel of Dungeon Master even if I did not read it completely. I leafed down only some pages here and there. I stopped because I did not want to be influenced on the writing of my own novel. I wish you luck and a big success :D .
Even if I had given you the smallest bite, my poison will overcome you
Spoiler
Try me!
Misskarna
Journeyman

Post by Misskarna »

Thank you, Clodius!

It definitely gives you that feel, I proof read it all way to 18, enhancing some and I could feel myself going through the actual dungeon, which is exactly what I want the reader to experience, but also for someone that has never played the game to be emotionally invested in all four of the characters.

Kind regards
Misskarna
Journeyman

Post by Misskarna »

Hello All, I have enhanced my web page with the story added sketches to the story and changed prologue, I just realized I made one massive error, when he used staff wrong he exploded into the Lord of Order and Chaos, I put he was trying free himself. So I changed it to he's trying empower the staff and why it kept in the tomb of the firestaff. so he can keep it safe until he finally learns the secret!

And chapter 18 will be finished later today!

http://karnas-creative-writing.com/word ... tents-page
Misskarna
Journeyman

Post by Misskarna »

I have still changed the story a little as Lord of order wants the staff, and theron got made into ethereal entity, I kept him normal, and I had also Lord of Order get struck down by lightning, lol.

But, I also made theron a coward sort of in chapter one, and made him disobey the lord of order as he think he is dead. I want the story be almost identical, but not 100% the same, doubt I will write chaos strikes back unless people really wanted it. I do intend publish this possibly when i finish it, So I may need to change the sketches and the title name to something else, like could call it the Legend of the firestaff. I will worry about that when i finish though :P
Misskarna
Journeyman

Post by Misskarna »

Chapter 19 - Completed, I will be transferring it in few minutes to my website, those that got to 18 will enjoy this chapter!

it be posted on front page and added to contents post and page.

http://karnas-creative-writing.com/wordpress/
Misskarna
Journeyman

Post by Misskarna »

Chapter 19 - Live finally, this was a long chapter actually, 16 pages in word, lol

direct link, as it as illustrations on it. - http://karnas-creative-writing.com/wordpress/?p=1542
Misskarna
Journeyman

Post by Misskarna »

Also added wp-mobile app to my site now, so you will be able read it on your mobile phones easier.
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

Looks much better - and thought the pictures were new! Great new chapter! I now have Rune, Magika, Curan Abbey and Thornwood to add to their backstory bios... I love the dialogue in these stories! PS: I think I misposted, so showing here instead: here's a link to the party https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_TxW43XkAAuRXQ.png - let me know if this is a reasonable representation of the 4 heroes... (it fits the style of my version, so excuse the basic approach).
The stonework walls? Pristine. The floor? Level. The waterworks? Flowing. Central heating? The Dragon in the basement was grumpily heating the pipes. Lord Chaos consulted the blueprints again, looking for the bathroom. #playmygame!
Clodius_one
Adept

Post by Clodius_one »

Very nice characters :) . I could become jealous.
Even if I had given you the smallest bite, my poison will overcome you
Spoiler
Try me!