Artificial Intelligence

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Wizard Zedd
Expert

Re: Artificial Intelligence

Post by Wizard Zedd »

Chaos-Shaman - Haven't seen anything new yet...let me know when you have it ready to check it out.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Hi SU!!!

I remember the day when you posed the problem about attractors, still have all the messages.It just so happened that I had played with it a year earlier while learning the editor but never expanded it. At the time was learning graphics, took a couple years to learn GIMP, did it all manually with no youtube, just enjoyed a glass of wine and the challenge to learn which is the most fun of all. There has been so much done since then, I have not posted any of the new work since the beginning of this year. When the AI NPC Path finding is complete you know it's yours as we agreed to do. All you'll need to do is change the character names with a simple program like notepad and replace the bitmaps and tweak the AI to your liking, all AI programming will be on one level. Have not done much this summer, been rough to find the time with all the house repairs and family activity.

What was added is menus using the info screens, figured out how to use them, then there is NPC's that can buy and sell and also bring up a live menu screen that anything can be done. AI has been crossed with Path finding, NPC's are intelligent and don't face walls. It is full blown interactive. Clodius has been plugging at the story and NPC graphics, great job he is doing. Don't see him much anymore because his work cut him off so he gets no new updates to our chats :( but his heart is still there :) We agreed that this winter a lot will get done, I'll end the work on the editor and focus on graphics. This summer was slow, worked on sound programs and effects. Having to do everything on my own has been a challenge, it would have been easier to have a few people working on it, just the way it is. We're doing it for fun so there is no pressure. Just got back from a trip, first one in 29 years, well deserved.

Give us a shout when you have some time to play with the AI test dungeon, now called Reign of Chaos, lol.
keep your gor coin handy
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Wizard Zedd wrote:Chaos-Shaman - Haven't seen anything new yet...let me know when you have it ready to check it out.
Sure will, it's a hell of a lot more scary now :shock: Sound is more powerful than graphics, 10x more to me, but then again, I used sound to program, not many people will do that, it's a challenge and time consuming but is the best way to debug in my humble opinion.
keep your gor coin handy
Wizard Zedd
Expert

Post by Wizard Zedd »

Sounds good...look forward to playing it.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

An update will be available soon, just finishing up on playing with sound effects. How did you make out with the last one?
keep your gor coin handy
Wizard Zedd
Expert

Post by Wizard Zedd »

Pretty good, but I stopped playing it as you mentioned an update coming :)
Should I continue with the one I have?
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Oh, no you don't have to finish it but if you did you would have been able to compare and see the work done. I'll have it next week. Thanks
keep your gor coin handy
Sambini
Novice

Post by Sambini »

I just wanted to drop in and say I have tried one of the most recent versions - maybe we will need to start keeping track of the patches lol :)

I made a few suggestions about the way the skeletons functioned in the first section of the dungeon. I found myself constantly getting blocked or trapped by them (mind you it was only for short periods of time - I'm just an impatient gamer maybe!). I'm not sure what Chaos-Shaman did exactly but they no longer seem to be following me so closely all the time.

So if anyone was getting a little frustrated with that like I was, the problem has been solved!

I have lots of notes I have been making about the game, I'm not sure who else has played it or where I should talk about it though?
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

"]I just wanted to drop in and say I have tried one of the most recent versions - maybe we will need to start keeping track of the patches lol :)
lol, hey last one was 2 weeks ago, there is a new one for you :P
keep your gor coin handy
Wizard Zedd
Expert

Post by Wizard Zedd »

Choas - I haven't been around for a while. Is there a new version that I should have?
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Great to have you back!!! I too have been MIA. Was wondering where you disappeared to. There have been improvements to the AI, some of your ideas have been implemented. Clodius had asked for a way to keep track of the money so worked on that for a bit, came out with a banking system. Can keep track of money saved and spent, much easier to deal with npcs during trade\buy\sell. Still working out what type of npc interaction is better. Right now there are three ways to deal with them, infos creen, live screen, or attack menu. Nobody has piped up yet and said what they like best. Hard to build up ideas without it. So far it is coming along well. Have you gotten use to controlling the npcs? I know I left you no instructions but that is on purpose, learn more from what you don't know than what you do know, that's why for me to test it is tough because it's harder to find the bugs as those people who unknowingly test it. Did you find interacting with npcs easy to follow when they give out instructions on what they want from you?

I'll have a new version by this weekend, had to change the money handling to the new banking system.

Will send you the new one, thanks.
keep your gor coin handy