Town Travel with DM

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
boyflea
Expert

Re: Town Travel with DM

Post by boyflea »

Hi,
well firstly: DOWNLOAD LINK
https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/aistdn

If you are having trouble seeing it, then scroll down in your RTC game window: all dungeons are listed in the relative folders.
You may need to copy this RTC file to your '{rtc}\Modules\' folder

If not helpful, please give more details :)

secondly:EXPECTATIONS
This is just proof-of-concept: Town has core navigation but will feature more map options.

There are events that can happen, and if you get stuck, there are spoilers in the thread above.

Look at this as something to demonstrate an idea: it is nothing more than that and everything in it can be changed.
Clodius-one and Chaos Shaman are leading this project.

thirdly: WHAT TO DO
in the demo, team starts due south of a Town in a forest. Kill ants, look for path NE, etc...

Eventually you will find yourself in a town and there follows a selection of interactive screens that allow you to wander around:
There is just one NPC side-quest and you can discover these things by clicking on the houses while walking around to enter a building.
Explore and have a look. When you get into an empty house, ignore it's contents and imagine the possibilities of what could be inside: feedback and ideas are always welcome.

You can see that this approach allows for a greater sense of storytelling opportunities. In addition, the point-of-view change allows for a more epic feel, rather than the more claustrophobic feel of in-dungeon.

You can always PM Chaos-Shaman / Clodius-for more info, or if you have any ideas.

DAVE
The stonework walls? Pristine. The floor? Level. The waterworks? Flowing. Central heating? The Dragon in the basement was grumpily heating the pipes. Lord Chaos consulted the blueprints again, looking for the bathroom. #playmygame!
Wizard Zedd
Expert

Post by Wizard Zedd »

Thanks boyflea...I see it now. I will hopefully have some time this weekend to check it out.
Wizard Zedd
Expert

Post by Wizard Zedd »

I managed to get a little bit of time to play with this on the weekend - a whole new ball game. The possibilities here seem endless. The fact that it is more than having to fight each and every character/creature means that it can go into many different directions.

I must admit I got thrown in jail many many times and did run out of coins. No one answered the doors so I was forced to break in - hence my number of incarcerations. I did get the shirt from the Golem, 2 actually - was hoping for something else :) I also broke out using the acid. At one point I thought I was stuck as I was in a corner and had the merchant on one side and the little guy that asks if you are a thief on the other and I couldn't move and they wouldn't leave. It wasn't until I took the item out of my hand so I could try war cry that I saw the option to have them leave...what can I say - still inexperienced.

I assume that you can't use the regular keyboard functions to walk around the city which is a bit of a drag...but not the end of the world.
Overall I had fun checking it out and look forward to seeing more.

Oh...and I enjoyed some of the simple things - when I touched the fire (lol) and the background sound in the jail - oh and the sound when I died :)
Clodius_one
Adept

Post by Clodius_one »

Trading things with characters is one thing I like very much and having different partners that can join the party is also a plus to the game play. CS did a nice job with the sound effect. He opens doors that was not possible before :D .
Yeah! the Jail was the most visited place for me too :roll: .
This town have a lot of possibilities that can be modify. It's just the beginning. The next up date will reflect the nice and busy Viborg village, where you can visit home's owner and have interactions with them.
Even if I had given you the smallest bite, my poison will overcome you
Spoiler
Try me!
Wizard Zedd
Expert

Post by Wizard Zedd »

Hmmm....I didn't get anyone to join my party. I will go back and check that out. Look forward to seeing more.
Clodius_one
Adept

Post by Clodius_one »

Sorry, I was talking in general; Different partner joining party CS did in another demo but he did not include the ability of in Town travel.
Spoiler
Try me!
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

I'm getting 'file not available' through the link... Has it been taken down?
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

odd. can get this still, first time:
DOWNLOAD LINK
https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/aistdn

works for me:
Have dropped into my dropbox if you want (PS: CS/ C1, let me know if you want me to takedown, but this is the file I have just grabbed from your link)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3t3zjgefa9y6u ... E.RTC?dl=0
The stonework walls? Pristine. The floor? Level. The waterworks? Flowing. Central heating? The Dragon in the basement was grumpily heating the pipes. Lord Chaos consulted the blueprints again, looking for the bathroom. #playmygame!
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Just tried from same link and it worked this time.
Ho hum...
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Clodius_one
Adept

Post by Clodius_one »

It's because CS fixed the link.
@ Saumon: Contact CS if you need any help.

Thanks Dave
Spoiler
Try me!
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

thanks for the replies :)

Banville has been updated.

- AI is included, functional, NPCs can join and leave party.
- fixed some info screens
- added a blood cross, similar to The One Ring in CSBWin, heals party when badly injured.
- items can be charged using spells and potions, no swapping except when completely discharged due to graphic change.
- dialect was added to all the NPCs, a bit of a story to orientate the player.
- made good use of values using relays and counters
- added a heart beat to the party when low on health.
- created a vampiric touch attack.
- NPCs will be able to heal themselves over time, necessary if adding and removing characters from party, example is ant man

i'll post the update next week when I run through it to check for errors.

next up, add shops to the town homes, add AI control over NPCs in the dungeon, commands like, stay, attack, pickup, peace, follow, etcetera. all NPCs are placed on one tile, this makes it copy and paste easy into any dungeon which was the goal.

please let me know of any suggestions you think that might be cool. RTC is accommodating to new ideas.

thanks
keep your gor coin handy