Tell us about your latest project; what are you doing here?

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
boyflea
Expert

Tell us about your latest project; what are you doing here?

Post by boyflea »

Hi,
I have been looking through these forums to see whether there is still anything being created here.
The forums layout I find very confusing - I just want to see a list of latest posts for everything and see what people are still up to.

RTC seems to be still churning out maps, and new members are still joining every week - but it's not clear if there are any projects ongoing or coming up.

I am considering writing something here, but wanted to see how active things still are. Let me know where all the cool threads are at please, or if there is somewhere on this site where it is easy to see all latest traffic.

Dave
The stonework walls? Pristine. The floor? Level. The waterworks? Flowing. Central heating? The Dragon in the basement was grumpily heating the pipes. Lord Chaos consulted the blueprints again, looking for the bathroom. #playmygame!
boyflea
Expert

Re: Tell us about your latest project; what are you doing he

Post by boyflea »

I should add: I'm here because I once wrote a RTC dungeon, recently wrote a DSB dungeon and looking to potentially write another RTC demo map, but was wondering if there is still interest in such a thing.
The stonework walls? Pristine. The floor? Level. The waterworks? Flowing. Central heating? The Dragon in the basement was grumpily heating the pipes. Lord Chaos consulted the blueprints again, looking for the bathroom. #playmygame!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Believe it or not, we still get new lurkers now and again. They read about things, download and play the games, but really don't share much more of themselves. I see people logged in who have never posted from time to time. So, I'd say, even if you don't get a big response, and you could still go for it and I'm sure someone is watching and waiting.

I once did an anonymous poll on a project that I was working on, and got around 1000 people voting on it, despite that only 4-6 people ever commented on it in the forums.. so.. yeah. Lurkers :D
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Hello boyflea, for sure I will be interested in new dungeons.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

Well, good that there is a response - though I guess it was a provocative topic name :)

There is still a tremendous interest in this game, so much so that fans are still coming here at 1-3 a month to register, probably double that as guests having downloaded from raging-moles RTC site. that said, over the years, I would be interested to see on the users date of last post, am sure in the last six months there would be approx 3-5% of the 1739 registered users still active, and of that probably about 20 hardcore posters who seem to live here :) (speculation of course)

Not that that is such a terrible model for such an ancient site: most popular and endorsed engine is unsupported for 8 years, FTL's main programs finished 20 years ago.
Several homebrew versions spawned as well. To keep on getting all these hits and new recruits is heartwarming, and cool to see newbies playing the game still for the first time - like a rite of passage for any true gamer :)

I would love to play DM on a phone one day*, maybe something in html5, with a community of user maps, playable on any device. sigh.
but that's just wishful thinking: and considering what is here, it's still impressive. DSB does seem to want to push things forward technically but all the interest seems to focus on RTC, or at least that's the market perception - fair to say?

(*Not 'Dungeon Masters!' Good gui aside, it is criminal!)

Funny how we all like to draw pictures and tell stories and write games to share - just who has the time anymore to focus on more than one hobby. :)

I am interested in the site metrics as I 'm just very curious: should i invest my time in this site community when I could be mucking about on other sites, basically. :)
Maybe I'll do one more dungeon then, but seriously, I'm off to Grimrock after that :)

DAve
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

hi Dave

there is a version for the phone already, it didn't look so good and it has heated debate on copyrights I believe.

if I can help with Grimrock, let me know, I will be one day turning towards new 3d engines once I learn a bit more and get out of the green zone :mrgreen:

I am crazy that you've joined our team, it is what Claude and I were hoping for, welcome aboard
keep your gor coin handy
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I still tell people about DM when I make new friends online or whatever, though none that I know of recently have come to the site. But I like to try and get people into the game if I can, just because it's so cool. I was telling someone about it the other day, in fact. I've not played DM myself for several years now - I've been playing other stuff, still have a backlog of games to get through, and generally haven't felt in a DM mood. I'm sure I'll go through it all again some day, though :).
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

that's coming Ameena, the last example I showed you on your work desk. this is just the beginning. we're dreaming up what comes next. ignorance has played itself out, and there is nothing left but up. I also don't play games, my only excuse is I love DM, just as everyone else here does, it's really a matter of how we all can keep it alive together, without that DM is history.

everyone, watch 7th Voyage of Sinbad, where it all started in days before we're born. perhaps it is this inspiration that the creators of DM came about.

in the land beyond beyond, from(through) the world past hope and fear, I bid you genie now appear.
when the big that is small, shall again become tall, into fiery rock, to rise you must fall.
keep your gor coin handy
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Sorry, what's coming? I was just saying how I've not played DM for a while but will again some day when I feel like it...
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

a resurgence of DM Ameena, what we're all hoping for I would believe. it's in high hopes I know, just a spark can ignite the fuel that is lying about here, it's just a matter of time before it happens now. it's coming.
keep your gor coin handy
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

CS, just do a search for DM related things and you will see it's all over the place.. Grimrock helped too.. plenty of those long lost fans found that before us and cjat about DM stuff over other forums
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

what makes you think I have not cows? I can say that I may seem unknowing, that's all fine and dandy.
keep your gor coin handy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Sadly I no longer have the time to invest in DSB projects. If I did have the time though, I have to admit I'd be inclined to build things using the Grimrock 2 engine. It's modern, scriptable, has a great visual editor and has a much larger audience than anything we can achieve from our little niche over here. Sorry if that makes me sound like a turncoat, but it is 2015 after all and technology has moved on in a big way. Nostalgia alone just doesn't cut it any more in my opinion.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

if it were, I'd question loyalty. I was leaning towards grimrock, but latest events have made a ripple in thought. fun is being destroyed, I can't ask anyone to understand, even if they did they'd deny it. i'll stick to loyalty, it pleases my heart, grimrock had its chance of having beloved followers, I doubt it can do what is asked it to do. grimrock followers, do your best, we all love DM, but do not fall for another engine before the one you've first invested interest or meet the fate of every other engine, just have a god damn look at what has been. I offer no more advice to DMs abroad. we're a broken group with issues that will never be resolved without being reconciled. go ahead, tell me a story that it tells us all that it is not so, go ahead. what's missing is realism. I know, I can expect two things, you'll either delete this message as 20 times+ before, or you'll ignore it. I still have not figured out the hate for RTC and now apparently, grimrock. seriously, I don't know what to say, I am copying this message so this one sticks honey. I know I am loyal to Dungeon Masters, all of you. George, get your ass back here before it all goes out in hate. read what gambit said, "I no longer have the time to invest in DSB projects" it's spreading dude. I now more than I lead on, let's see what happens next. I speak in riddles.
keep your gor coin handy
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

Hark the devil's advocate :) You say that... I love Grimrock, but damn if Grimrock 2 is horrible. It's not a great quest, more of a showcase of new features (and yes, I thought I'd try it on hard and was thrashed, so am putting off restarting it).
Ok, Grimrock has a terrific community and would recommend people check it out: communities that work together over a year to construct dungeons with 20+ contributors; come on, of course the DM community cannot compete with that. (seems a little pre-occupied with itself ;) )

but...
but..

Recently brothers an sisters, I came back and banged out a DSB map, as really its simple (well, after making a Grimrock map it is): lua is very flexible and works. And you know what, the retro-tech helps. My map is deliberately set in the 80s (and for parity, the RTC version of my same dungeon still kicks ass, don't want to upset anyone ;p )

As an engine, RTC or DSB, the original grey-stone walls of 8-bit and a bit of imagination and it still works.
Am loving Dark Reign 2, even though it has the sort of puzzles I loathe. :)

Gambit has a point: each of us have a limited number of breaths in this life. I love this community, thanks to Chaos Shaman throwing a net over me and dragging me back (to oddly make one DSB dungeon, funny story). I love Grimrock too, and would like to make dungeons all day.

Dungeon Master, Laser Squad, Chaos, Space Crusade, Tomb Raider and Bezerk. Those games moulded me. Grimrock still lets me make nice stories though, :)

Erm... what was the point I was making?
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

Dammit CS, you snuck in the reply first! lol. Gambit, you are the devil's advocate. Not CS. Oh how the fate's conspire...
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

... that horrible moment when you realise yes, it was you who started this thread:
I am SO sorry. look at the kitten.

normal service will be resumed...
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

one and both are the same
keep your gor coin handy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

boyflea wrote:The forums layout I find very confusing - I just want to see a list of latest posts for everything and see what people are still up to.
The "View New Posts" link, usually at the top right of a page, will show you everything new since the last time you logged in.
Chaos-Shaman wrote:We're a broken group with issues that will never be resolved without being reconciled. go ahead, tell me a story that it tells us all that it is not so, go ahead.
OK I'll go ahead, because it seems that I have to explain this yet again: We're not a broken community, we've simply changed. Most of us who were here from the beginning were younger then with few responsibilities and a lot of free time. Now, we have responsibilities and little free time. Have you not even noticed CS, how many of the original members here hardly post anymore? Not because they have issues that aren't reconciled, but because they grew up, had children and have new priorities. But there are plenty of new members who have come along to fill the gaps. And that's a great thing! :)
Chaos-Shaman wrote:read what gambit said, "I no longer have the time to invest in DSB projects" it's spreading dude. I now more than I lead on, let's see what happens next. I speak in riddles.
You quote out of context, missing off the "Sadly" from my post. I am sad about it because I love creating things with these engines (RTC, DSB, Grimrock) but I simply do not have the time. For the last 18 months I've been renovating a run-down house, started a business, worked several contracts for large companies and started to write a book. Now I'm about to start the next adventure: exploring what it will take for my partner and I to have children since we are unable to do so in the usual manner. I think therefore there may be some incorrect assumptions being made by Chaos Shaman in his post.
boyflea wrote:I love Grimrock, but damn if Grimrock 2 is horrible
I agree that the game of Grimrock 2 had alot of problems, but the engine itself can build some very lovely things.
boyflea wrote:DM community cannot compete with that. (seems a little pre-occupied with itself ;) )
Well I don't know about that. I would have thought it's clear that most of us are occupied with other things entirely these days. Communities are always in flux; such is the way of things. In our case, we keep the forums running for those who still want to use them, but the reality is we're very niche and there simply aren't many people here any more. I've been involved here in one way or another for 16 years. That's plenty thanks. I'm happy to keep paying for the lights to be left on, but I no longer have the time or inclination to be handing out leaflets on the street to drum up new interest for a 27 year old game... but if others want to do that, that would be great and welcomed :)
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

boyflea said he was not interested in DM, just like you said when I asked you if you wanted to work together years ago gambit, I wonder if you even remember your own remarks. it's there. I offered cooperation, do you remember? all of a sudden boyflea wants in, only to leave with the material, all because I said DSB is not ready, I used his own words that he used describing Two Lovers in redoing it in DSB. he took offences and LEFT. couldn't be more betrayed. not much I can do when people do that. he has enough material to help Sophia, and I hope it does, I am ok with that. as for family, house, life, children, yeah, did that already, now I am back to help others make dungeons. I can only do it in RTC, OK, DSB is impossible for me to work with, i get the punishment for that, not my fault. i am still willing to work with others, i am open, i can't for the life of me figure out why every step made it is put down, not my fault either. isn't there a way to work together? let me know when there is someone who is willing to do it, i am ready if they are.

This post has been edited for offensive language by a moderator.
keep your gor coin handy
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

All CS says is true. Please don't persecute him for this post.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

@Boyflea, I see what you did there ;-)

CS always ignores the fact that many of us simply built dungeons for our own enjoyment and weren't remotely interested in working with someone else because our projects were personal creative outlets.

There is a time when people have to let go of the past and accept it for what it was. We don't always get what we want. CS wants to find people to collaborate with, that's fine, but every time he mentions it, he brings up old arguments that do nothing but antagonise those of us who moved way past all this crap years ago.

I am very tired of CS continually doing this under the guise of "encouraging teamwork". It's disingenuous, fake, and designed to make him feel better and the rest of us look bad. It's childish and moronic and is not the behaviour of a mature adult.

This is the last time I'm going to discuss this openly on the forum. CS, you should remember that you've had two shrikes already. You have one left. You should remember at all times that you have the privilege to post here at our discretion and you're once again at risk of a ban. Stop behaving like an idiot and grow the hell up. Oh and I'm giving you the chance to edit the swearing out of your post. Because if you don't, that's your third strike as it goes against the forum rules.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Gambits comments are accurate. Before I had a daughter, I had a bit more free time. It's hard to ignore a learning and growing member of your family who depends on you for nearly everything. Though even before her, I had not a LOT of time, because I was holding down 2 jobs which had a lot of after hours work required, and trying to do outside projects which were not directly related to DM. Prior to all of that though, I had lot's of free time to do an entire dungeon set.. twice.. I created a website devoted to fanfic and made some horrible paintings for it, I helped do images for RTC (spell book), for ZYX's dungeon, and for DMJava (mainly just the intro and a few in dungeon items..) I was doing some work on a top view DM but that project died out.. and so much more.. I did a LOT of stuff.. because I had the TIME.

Now, I just sit and think.. "wow.. I'd really love to .. oh.. wait.. nope.. I don't have the time for that... " and then kick myself because there are things which are DM related I'd love to do, and unless I can double dip with my classes, in that the skills and resources used are viable examples for my classes.. then I don't have the time. Which is where I was thinking of doing a level or two in Unreal.. but I doubt that will happen..

The reality is, if it won't make me money, or it won't help me with my classes.. I can't devote much time to it. The little paintings I've done are 30 mins to 1 hr at the most.. It's also helping me with a required skill set for my classes which is painting. see how it goes?

Oh, and yes.. please edit out the swearing.. you've been warned of this before.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

The reality is, if it won't make me money, or it won't help me with my classes.. I can't devote much time to it.
Yes, same here. I still have a list as long as my arm of the things I'd like to create, just for the fun of it. Creating is an incredibly rewarding and fun activity but these days there has to be some other value to it too, and if I cant make money from it, it becomes a low priority hobby. I recognise this as my current reality; it's a pretty simple thing to understand.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

The reality is, if it won't make me money, or it won't help me with my classes.. I can't devote much time to it.
Same here. I've put so many hours of creativity into DM engines (in the thousands), that sometimes, if I want to design or test a mechanism, I just have to close my eyes, it will happen in my mind by itself, real enough to spare me the time of implementing it for real. ^ ^
My main drive was to explore the possibilities of DM-like gameplays, it's more or less done. Though Grimrock 2 adds simultaneous layers, which is interesting, but with limited angles of vision and tiled-moves, it's not so great and 3D-puzzles felt more confusing than amusing. I'm also quite deterred by the lag between each move.

Anyway, I moved onto other creative endeavours, like writing. I still lurk here from time to time, mostly because I made the acquaintance of many quality people for whom I have great feelings, and I trust their values and skills. But also, as a sapling myself, to keep a contact with the mother-tree. Because its roots are deep and its branches reach far, it's a good, durable entry point to connect with and interpret the DM-phenomenon through the passing of time.
And I believe a comeback is possible on mobile platforms. Same spark, new generations...
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

Zyx wrote:
... I moved onto other creative endeavours, like writing. I still lurk here from time to time, mostly because I made the acquaintance of many quality people for whom I have great feelings, and I trust their values and skills. But also, as a sapling myself, to keep a contact with the mother-tree. Because its roots are deep and its branches reach far, it's a good, durable entry point to connect with and interpret the DM-phenomenon through the passing of time.
Beautifully put.
Zyx wrote:
And I believe a comeback is possible on mobile platforms. Same spark, new generations...
And am sure Cowsmanaut enjoyed all the money he got from the Dungeon Masters app... :P
Clodius_one
Adept

Post by Clodius_one »

Gambit37 wrote:
CS always ignores the fact that many of us simply built dungeons for our own enjoyment and weren't remotely interested in working with someone else because our projects were personal creative outlets.
If the few members who understand engine coding are creating dungeons only for their own enjoyment, then where is a Newbie without any programming's experience going to learn how to create a custom dungeon. My name is not Morpheus, I can't read the codes and I don't see myself posting for every comma I forgot. If it was not for CS, I would not started creating such graphics and look in from the outside. What I am creating is for DM community.

I had kids too and obligations like almost everyone else but they have reached their twenties. I don't need to change diapers anymore and my life is well organized. I have spare time for some creations. If what we create can help others, why not. That's is the real enjoyment for me.
Even if I had given you the smallest bite, my poison will overcome you
Spoiler
Try me!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

This may sound a bit cold, and while I do not intend that, I know the nature of text.

It is not the responsibility of any creator to go beyond the limits of their own comfort, or to be expected to act on the whims of those who admire their work. To imply that because one person does one thing the rest should follow suit, well.. I return with a statement parents have used for years 'if they jumped off a bridge..'

people of this community did not learn to create code from this community, Paul was already talented in that area before csbwin, George built RTC before even joining. The list goes on with all other clones and creators.. Rather than suggest some moral obligation, we should be happy that they did give freely of their time when they could.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

In addition to Cow's point, I should refresh the memories of those who appear to have forgotten our roots.

I am but one of many people who spent a good 8+ years testing RTC for bugs, building with it, sharing tips and helping others. I've also spent 16 years moderating and administering the forums, designing skins for the forum, keeping it updated and secure and never asking for any thanks. I did it because I wanted to share my talents with this community for the benefit of everyone.

So when someone questions my loyalty, or my motivations, or tries to twist the past for their own warped agenda, it doesn't just annoy me, it makes me very upset. My contributions to this forum are not under question. I have done more than most. And yet apparently it is still not enough for some of you.

So to those who still believe we don't give you enough, or that you're somehow owed something, I would like you to know that you're free to leave at any time to find a forum elsewhere that's more to your liking. We won't miss you.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

A lot of very interesting comments here.

Young people have the time to get involved in DM stuff, then they go away because of lack of time, too many things to do, too many responsabilities.
Here I add, that it's likely they will come back when older and retired.

Dungeon editing. I played quite a lot with RTC, testing stuff on small examples, building kwoledge. Then I got pissed because of unconsistency and irrational things happening when venturing into complex puzzles.
Got pissed because as a programmer, a manager, a teacher in computer stuff it looks like a hard work but with lack of fully mastering object programming, event programming, real time system. When used to professionnal computer tools and technics, RTC is just a clunker that needs to be entirely remade. Thats my opinion and I share it with mysilf.
I published a couple of small dungeons ( Two Ra keys ), I am not smart enough to build an interesting dungeon, I feel no good at creativity, story telling, worthwhile scenarios. I feel I am only able to make a dull large dungeon too boring with maths and computing theory puzzles.

About CS, Yes I avoid him. He tried to hire ( buy ? ) me. I do not like that. I saw he produced no worthwhile dungeon, but he preaches to guys he traps, what they should do and of course along his idea.
I cannot stand his proselitism about RTC.

To learn about RTC, look at the sum of contributions in the DM encyclopedia, the Wiki and of course this site, mostly at RTC editing. And work hard on some small examples of your own. And I can try to help, give away my work, I do not look forward for anything back whatsoever.

My last involvement: Testing new dungeons with no help
Spoiler
No hints nor spoilers
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman