Dungeon Master for Skyrim

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
RDV
Neophyte

Dungeon Master for Skyrim

Post by RDV »

After finding this site and the re-makes of Dungeon Master I decided to dig the old game out and play through it again.

Whist playing through it and thinking of the re-makes I had an idea,

I'm just thinking aloud here but do you think we could or should remake it using the Skyrim engine, similar way as they're remaking Morrowind & Oblivion? Perhaps update it a bit too while we're at it. I know it cannot be as close a remake as those, and it would have to be made to fit into the Skyrim world & lore. It would have to be made for levelled monsters and Items, and the spell system wouldn't be re-creatable (which I think is Dungeon masters best bit).

I could do quite a lot of the work myself bodging it along using original Skyrim parts and a few re-textures, but I don't have any experience at modelling or scripting. This would make things like moving pits & teleports impossible for me to recreate. I'm sure that if there are other fans of the old games out there that would like to see it remade and updated we could do a really special job of it.

Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.
Thank you.
terkio
Mon Master

Re: Dungeon Master for Skyrim

Post by terkio »

I am interested but forgot about these games.
Was that 3D ? What kind ?
Are mods and custom games possible ?
Editor ? Format of a game file ? Binary or Text ?
Links to examples and customing mostly appreciated.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Could be fun but it might be an over-ambitious project: might take a long time to develop. If you just want an up to date Dungeon Master, you might want to instead take a look at Legend of Grimrock?http://www.grimrock.net
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Indeed that would be reinventing Grimrock.
IMO A worthwhile projet the DM community missed years before. Miay be too late, now. But why not looking for a better 3D DM ?
I ( Twinfalls ) worked in this direction with the engine and editor of Heretic 2, long ago, I got little and turning down feedback from the DM community.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

my understanding is that Grimrock already has the updated DM maps and characters (built in maybe?) I saw posts about it a week or two ago.. screen shots of people playing it too..
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

There is indeed a DM mod for Grimrock, though it's incomplete as it doesn't have all the right monsters.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

From what I saw on a video of a DM mod in Grimrock, quite a lot of DM features were not exact.
It seems, they can at best, only be some equivallent which is not actually.DM.
I was impressed by the 3D but disapointed to see this, like DM implementation.
Here is a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjAEpuSaYo4
RDV
Neophyte

Post by RDV »

Thank you all for your replies, I put the same post on the Skyrim forum too and got a whole zero response.
I wasn't aware of the existence of Grimrock, looks like it's worth further investigation though.

As with Grimrock, a likeness is the best we could hope to achieve.
Using the Skyrim editor I could probably throw the maps together in a basic form in few days when, I get chance that is. I'll play with a few floor & wall textures see what I can come up with, but generally there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest so I'm not going to be in a rush to start it unless interest picks up. If I do start it I'll post the occasional update.

Thanks.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

RDV wrote: I put the same post on the Skyrim forum too and got a whole zero response.
Oh well, the "Not invented here" syndrom.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

RDV wrote:generally there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest.
I think there's a few reasons for that, the main one being that most of us using this forum regularly have seen lots of recreations of DM in other engines over the years. We're probably a bit jaded, if truth be told, and the promise of DM in Skyrim isn't especially compelling. Not for me anyway: I played 5 hours of Skyrim before giving up...!

Another problem is that it's very hard to gain interest from people when there's nothing yet to show. If you'd presented some work first to show what you'd created, I think the response would have been very different. You also said that you don't have modeling skills, and hardly anyone here has them either... So the thing you'll need most help with, we probably can't assist.

Sorry it's not as encouraging as you might have hoped. In my experience, can I offer a word of creative advice? Go ahead and build this as best you can. Learn from the experience and enjoy it. That can yield a lot of personal enjoyment and is very fulfilling. Once you've got something you're pleased with that you can show others, you'll have a great base to start from in then getting help to fill in the gaps. Good luck :-)