Dead of Day - Dungeon Master Type Game

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
jasondarby
Neophyte

Dead of Day - Dungeon Master Type Game

Post by jasondarby »

Hello,

So I love DM, and decided I wanted to make my own but didnt want it to be fantasy based - because that's what all of them are, so I went with modern day and zombies.

The game is still in early/mid development, but wanted to let people here know, and also start getting the ball rolling on promotion. I love retro games and I think it's important to still have those cool games with updated content for todays gamers.

I am hoping to have the game on Steam for sale next by April next year. For more information you can find out about the game at the IndieGame DB - http://www.indiedb.com/games/dead-of-day

Also I am running a kickstarter, if you cannot back I would still appreciate people posting/twittering about it :)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tr ... for-pc-mac

Many thanks for listening, and any comments please let me know.

Cheers

Jason
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Dead of Day - Dungeon Master Type Game

Post by Gambit37 »

Interesting idea!

However I'm a bit confused by the Kickstarter page as I don't see any screenshots or video of the gameplay in action? It appears to be drawn mockups at present? I hate to be negative, but you will be extremely unlikely to secure funding without showing some good work-in-progress up front. This may not be what you want to hear, but unfortunately it is the truth when it comes to securing crowdfunding for games: people want to see the thing in action (even if it's rough) before they commit money to it.

Do you have any actual gameplay you can show?
jasondarby
Neophyte

Post by jasondarby »

The game is still early in development, and I have probably gone to kickstarter way too early :D

But yes you are right, there is a lack of gameplay for the actual dungeon part, mainly because I have only just received the artwork and have been working on the actual editors.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Wow, that looks very good! I'm personaly not a fan of zombie-style games (the idea of zombies in general seems a bit silly to me, but that's just my personal view), but I like the post-apocalypse / survivor theme, and I like the graphics very much. :)

Keep working on it, keep informing us, and good luck!
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
jasondarby
Neophyte

Post by jasondarby »

Jan wrote:Wow, that looks very good! I'm personaly not a fan of zombie-style games (the idea of zombies in general seems a bit silly to me, but that's just my personal view), but I like the post-apocalypse / survivor theme, and I like the graphics very much. :)

Keep working on it, keep informing us, and good luck!
Thanks for the comments. Yeah it's been hard work getting it to this stage, but I'm feeling pretty motivated, so hopefully it will come together quicker.

Yeah the zombie thing is a difficult one, some people love them, some are like "oh not another zombie game"... but when I was thinking about the game to make, I really wanted to make DM, but i really didnt want to make yet another Fantasy/Magic game (especially as Grim rock had basically done it), and i am in the "love zombies" camp, so thought why not :D
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I'm very sorry that I sounded quite negative earlier. I just re-read that and realised I didn't word it very well at all, my apologies.

I do love a good zombie game too (I've recently finished Dying Light), so I'm definitely intrigued by a DM style game using the zombie theme. That's why I was so keen to see screenhots and gameplay :) Sorry that I I didn't get that across!
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Personally, I think Gambit's earlier negativity was worded just fine and I completely agree with it. I must confess a rather high amount of skepticism about this project.
jasondarby
Neophyte

Post by jasondarby »

Sophia wrote:Personally, I think Gambit's earlier negativity was worded just fine and I completely agree with it. I must confess a rather high amount of skepticism about this project.
Skepticism that the game won't get made or just that you needed more evidence? I'm not out to trick anyone, just spent £800 showing the game off at EGX in Birmingham and I have a contract with creative england to release the game. So hopefully you don't think i am pulling the wool over anyones eyes.
jasondarby
Neophyte

Post by jasondarby »

Gambit37 wrote:I'm very sorry that I sounded quite negative earlier. I just re-read that and realised I didn't word it very well at all, my apologies.

I do love a good zombie game too (I've recently finished Dying Light), so I'm definitely intrigued by a DM style game using the zombie theme. That's why I was so keen to see screenhots and gameplay :) Sorry that I I didn't get that across!
No that's fine :) - totally agree with what you are saying.

I wanted to get the actual Dungeon part in before I released the Kickstarter, but as I was going to show the game off at EGX, I kind of pulled the trigger on the KS early as I thought it would be a good use of the stand to promote the KS and didnt want to waste that opportunity... obviously I was more disappointed than anyone that I hadn't got any dungeon gameplay in there :D
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Hi Jason, I like your enthusiasm. Hammer at it. Looks great, the story is a bit old but so is DM itself. This will be a delight to play.
keep your gor coin handy
jasondarby
Neophyte

Post by jasondarby »

Chaos-Shaman wrote:Hi Jason, I like your enthusiasm. Hammer at it. Looks great, the story is a bit old but so is DM itself. This will be a delight to play.
Appreciate the kind words. :)
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

jasondarby wrote:Skepticism that the game won't get made or just that you needed more evidence? I'm not out to trick anyone, just spent £800 showing the game off at EGX in Birmingham and I have a contract with creative england to release the game. So hopefully you don't think i am pulling the wool over anyones eyes.
Right. I meant skepticism that the game is going to be made. I didn't mean to imply any dishonesty on your part.