effect of stats

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
paulahb
Neophyte

effect of stats

Post by paulahb »

what is the effect of the stats in dungeon master
(ie strength, dexterity, wisdom, vitality)

strength seems to be linked to carrying capacity and damage dealt. I usually boost the strength of my front line fighters to 255(max) with potions and this works well for damage and carrying ability :) .

what do all the others do?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: effect of stats

Post by beowuuf »

Wisdom affects success of spells and mana restoration, vitality affects other restoration (and food?)
Its all actually uite complex
Dexterity has some affect on projectile weapons and your ability to dodge spells

For the best way to see effects, Try to boost then retard various stats, and it will make the effects more pronounced
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
paulahb
Neophyte

Post by paulahb »

realy? vitality effects food?

I didn't think that this was the case becuase my front line fighters boosted to 250 vitality consume as much food as my backline wizards with only 40-50 vit.

could it effect the amount of damage that you take in single blows?

and does dexterity effect the chance that you are hit or is just a misconception of mine?

Paul
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I'm just goign by what I have observed in DM and what I remember what peopel have said - so my analysis could be wrong, or it could be subtley different in RTC#
I think the food issue is a difference, it merely depends on actions..or maybe its liek that in DM too....

I think dexterity slightly affects blow chances, while strength affects getting passed armour

It's been too long since I played around with stats, I just rememebr odd effects when goign to extremes in one stat only...such as barely any mana regeneration with single-figure wisdom
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Dexterity does affect your chance to get hit/to dodge at least close attacks.
Dexterity is also supposed to influence the usage of projectile weapons, but I don't know to what extend, since I almost never use them, because the little damage they do is not worth the effort of using them.
Dexterity also influences your base chance to hit in close combat I think, but to actually score a hit you also have to do enough damage to penetrate your opponents armor, which is influenced by strength. Strength also determines your basic carrying capacity.

I think vitality has been influencing food drain in FTL-DM/CSB, but that doesn't seem to be the case in RTC, so I actually don't know what vitality does in RTC. Maybe it is influencing the stamina regeneration? Maybe not? Dunno.

Wisdom Caster Level determine the chance to cast a spell successfully. In RTC Caster level seems to be the dominant part of it, for in FTL I've been able to cast higher power level spells with lower level caster far more often than in RTC, in which you almost never succeed in casting certain power levels before you reach a certain caster level. When you have risen to a certain caster level (around Expert/LoMaster) all spells will succeed and this becomes irrelevant.
In FTL Wisdom also strongly influenced Mana regeneration, which does not seem to be the same in RTC. Actually I don't know exactly how RTC is handling regeneration at all, although of course I would like to know (George?).

Anti-Fire is obviously for reducing damage done by fireballs, although I think that a good FulBroKu-fireshield is a better protection than a high Anti-Fire stat. Also AntiFire and fireshield are supposed to protect against the black flames, but actually I don't know whether their attack is handled as melee attack to be protected against with armor+YaIr/YaBro or as a fire attack resisted with Anti-Fire+FulBroKu, or both or something in between.

Anti-Magic is supposed to reduce damage done by other spells than fireballs, like poison bolts and gas clouds. I think, lightning bolt is also resisted by Anti-Magic and not Anti-Fire, but I'm not sure about this. Since you don't get hit with these too often, it does not seem to be too important either. In that rare spots where I know in advance that I will get hit by those spells I use the spellshield of some wands/staffs (which have a limited supply of course).

<p>Komm zur bunten Seite der Macht! </p>
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

With respect, this is all speculation, so until FTL can tell us EXACTLY how they work, we'll never really know. And I think that's a good thing, because it adds to the mystery of DM...
Lubor Kolar
Artisan

Post by Lubor Kolar »

FTL will not help us - I tried to contact one person (unfortunatelly I don't remember his name) with request to help us reveal some internal stuff and he replied (arrogant, from my point of view) that we should be doing something better than stealing graphics and sound from copyrighted game and that he won't help.
But there is a better solution - P. Stevens has made a wonderfull job disassembling Atari CSB code and translating it to C, so if anyone likes to see how it works internally and understand C, he can!
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Lubor Kolar: If you still have this mail, would you mind publishing it?
<p>Komm zur bunten Seite der Macht! </p>
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Lunever, do not ask Lubor to post other people's email! The person in question probably does not want his email published, and if it were me, I'd be very angry if someone posted my private email without my consent.

For the record, I too am in contact with FTL people; after all, how else do you think I'm getting all the background information for my DM site? It's simply not worth loads of other people keep speculating on whether FTL will tell us stuff etc. etc. Just be patient and wait for the new site, and lots of stuff will be revealed (although, quite rightly, NOT the internal mechanisms of the game).
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

Am test in RTC once that dexterity increase range of throwing objects, no matter when boulder was heavy more dexterity = more squares it fly thrown (I thought STR should affect this but it was DEX)

VIT stat increase when am level up wizards, so am guess it may have something to magic more than body vitality but am also feel like it may in some was affect how fast food bar is lowered, where actually using weapons seem most increase food consumption

Luck - Have no idea hot this work

Am wonder how this was designed in DSB
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I'd like to know too Zed... I had the rabbits foot in my pouch always, but did it help?
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

I think food+water are used to replenish stamina, and stamina is used to replenish health and mana. In playing the games I've noticed that when food and/or water is fully depleted in a character, that character can no longer regain stamina, and when a character runs out of stamina, mana and health recovery stops. Of course, when stamina hits 0, health also starts dropping as well. I've noticed this because whenever my characters are doing things that consume stamina, food and water are consumed from the character's food and water bars more quickly then normal.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

yes, that's how it works. what about the rabbits foot?
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

:roll: I wish I knew... :?
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

let's just assume for a moment that luck would have to increase or decrease the chances of a hit or being hit, and or it can increase chance for certain spells to be successful. this could be assigned to the rabbit foot, or clover.
keep your gor coin handy
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

In DM (and DSB), the rabbit's foot grants +3 Luck no matter where you have it in your inventory.
In RTC, it seems like it works completely differently-- it grants 400% Luck and 100% Attack, whatever that means. It seems to only do anything in RTC when it's in your left or right hand, though.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

What does luck actually do though?

That's one thing I've never been able to figure out.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

i'll test the rabbit foot out to see if RTC recognizes things in it, if so we can make up our own luck. I am not sure if that counts as on the body or not.
keep your gor coin handy
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

ok, got up at 2 this morning and decided to screw with luck, luck not being so great for me yesterday I'd have to say.

so what I learned is that, YES, the rabbits foot can be made to work WITHOUT being in the left or right hand, however there is only one other place where the rabbits foot can go, I am not sure if GG allowed it to function there, I'd need a way to test it, but facts are, we can use the rabbits foot in the one place I found odd anyway, THE QUIVER, why not the pouch, maybe GG didn't finish this part. we can easily make our own mechanics on what it does, but to at least have a place other than the hands is good news, now it has a decent use. I don't use it much anyway, I doubt anyone does other than to store items if it can be stored. i'll go back and check what else I can do with this. so the answer is yes it can be used in the quiver.
keep your gor coin handy
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

a little groggy this morning, little sleep. that doesn't stop me though :)

what also can be done for the rabbits foot, well, we know we can't detect or use anything in the inventory BUT, like a magic lamp it operates on either a verbal command or a physical touch, in this case we want to EXAMINE the rabbit foot, in doing so it sets a value that can be checked or just plain swapped to a rabbit foot, it can now be stored in the inventory and still have an effect, the effect must be on a timer, say like one minute, so a player would look at their important rabbit foot before battle and it would have a lucky affect for 1 minute then returns to its original value in this case it is null. the player has to pay attention to it for it to work, not only that, if a monster steals the rabbit foot it can also have a bad effect, say reducing the characters or party's luck, luck being whatever you wish to assign to it. so far that's the only solutions I can come up with, I am sure there are very clever souls out there that can do more with it. I really do think that GG didn't finish that part, it would have been easy for him to do.
keep your gor coin handy