Conversion Potential

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Marr

Conversion Potential

Post by Marr »

Dungeon Master reverse-engineered into C.. Now that was something that needed doing, and congrats for doing it bloody well. (And actually completing an academic project. That's probably the most impressive aspect of the whole escapade. :))

Now, what's the likelihood of RTC making its way onto platforms other than Windows? Apple has been mentioned elsewhere, and a Linux version would doubtless add a lot of new dungeon engineers to the community, but as the MacOS discussion pointed out, it's not vital. Desktop machines are powerful enough to run RTC through emulation tricks, in theory.

The most interesting potential, I think, is for handheld conversions. This is a 320 resolution 80's game, simple, accessible, graphically clean.. It's a perfect candidate for playing on Palm, WinCE, GBA, GP32 or N-Gage. I don't know about anyone else, but I find myself doing very little of anything except housekeeping and programming on the sit-down desk'n'keyboard PC these days, gaming and other entertainment has fled to the far more comfortable realm of sofas, consoles and pocket machines, and Dungeon Master with an endless supply of player mods would be a very welcome addition to the gang, in my house at least.

Given the longer term possibility of replacing all the copyrighted Dungeon Master data with original work, there's even the possibility of a cult hit in the commercial mass market here. There's gonna be a -lot- of game-capable telephones out there in a couple of years time..