Door bashing question

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Des
Um Master

Door bashing question

Post by Des »

Hi all - my first post for a while..

I received an email query about my custom dungeon Angel's Egg RTC http://www.sholing.force9.co.uk/angel.htm recently to do with a door that won't open.

In the weapons room on level 1 a golem guards a door which Arnie can break down with his starting strength, but no-one else can without a KU potion. When I originally playtested the dungeon I (think I) remember being able to open the door with a weaker character provided they bashed it with the golem's club. Maybe I'm mistaken or it was the old CSBWin version, as what you hit a door with seems to make little or no difference in RTC, or does it?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I think golem clubs under the original DM engine occasionally did crazy damage, but it would be such a wishy washy nebulous rememberance by those like myself that I doubt it was carried over to RTC

Also, it could have instead been tied to the 'adreneline' bug where, when you were overloaded or worked in combat, instead of decreasing the internal strength modifier increased your strength
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Hi Des, cool to see you around again, and I promise I'll play Angel's Egg eventually and write a review about it.

As for your question, as far as I know, RTC once handled weapon damage totally dependant on the weapon's weight. So the Stone Club was by far the most damaging weapon. Eventually, this behaviour got removed, but maybe the weight of the weapon is still associated with the ability to bash a door?
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

Ah yes, it could be the gelding of the Stone Club which happened a few versions ago. I will test it out at the weekend.
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

I tested it used a series of doors with 1% increments on bash percent, and as far as I can tell, weapons make no difference, it's just done on strength.

A 100% door needs 255 strength to bash, a 50% door needs 128, a 25% door 64 etc.