Asset management in the generated .RTCs?

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Asset management in the generated .RTCs?

Post by Gambit37 »

If I include the same bitmap several times in my dungeon, referenced in different objects etc, but they all load from the same file on disk, what does RTC do?

Does it compile all the copies into the .RTC file or is it intelligent enough to only include the asset once?

From tests I've done it seems to be the latter, but I'm not 100% sure as some tests seemed contradictory.

Also, assets are bound into the RTc file even if they are not used anywhere in the dungeon. It would be really cool to intelligently check this and then during compilation, ignore any assets that aren't actually needed: during development I've ended up with loads of stuff in there that I no longer need and it takes absolutely ages to work out what to delete, and if you do that in the editor you get all sorts of cyclical targetting warnings which are messy and very time consuming to deal with when you're talking about hundreds of objects.

If I didn't need to worry about unused assets being included in the compiled file it could help cut down on the RTC file size.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Interesting questions...
I'd like to know these things.

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone