Would you like an AI improvement for RTC

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.

How would you like the RTC monster AI be developed?

Current problems should be fixed, and beyond that it should become as clever as possible.
75%
Current problems should be fixed, but aside from that the AI should stay the way it is
19%
I like getting monsters into helpless positions, so everything should stay as it is.
No votes
Ungrouped monsters spreading out are already to un-DM for my taste, I would like to have everything removed from the AI that wasn't there in FTL-DM too
6%

Total votes: 16

Lunever
Grand Druid

Would you like an AI improvement for RTC

Post by Lunever »

Well, since there many situations in RTC that make tough monsters become helpless sitting ducks, obviously there should be some AI improvement.

But then, George already removed some interesting AI bits because some complained the monsters were to clever and thus to un-DM.

So, just in case George reappears some day and would be willing to fine-tune the AI a bit more, which way RTC players would like the AI to go?

I certainly would be glad if the somewhat broken escape behaviour was repaired and monsters were enabled to lurk behind corners.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I'm happy with the overall AI except for the bugs and one fundamental flaw as detailed elsewhere.

So, fix the bugs:

* Monsters go to sleep for no apparent reason
* Monsters often stay 4x4 on a tile despite your side flanks being exposed and a clear path available -- I thought they are supposed to out manoeuvre you?

And fix this design flaw:

* Monsters in the back row that ONLY have a close range attack should not attack the party if the front row is blocked.
Last edited by Gambit37 on Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

And monsters often being unable to escape a closing door if on a tile next to the party, that one is the most important fix required imho.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

All I have to say on this topic is:
The AI in RTC should be made as SMART as possible. I think that there should be a "intelligence" variable associated wth monsters per type (to allow for dumbing them down). George would be kind to do something about this.

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Re: Would you like an AI improvement for RTC

Post by PaulH »

Could someone outline a few of these 'sitting' duck' scenarios for me? I am currently making my 1st RTC dungeon and would like to minimize some of this.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Would it perhaps add to realism to have certain monstes behave in different ways? For example, a Mummy is just a bunch of bandages, with no apparent thought to it other than "kill destroy death death death", but something like a Beholder, or the Dragon, might be much more cunning and try stuff like hiding round a corner in wait for you ;).
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

Totally agree with Ameena that monster-dependent intelligence would be best.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I think Thief AI is pretty good as it is - run up, yoink, aaaaaaaaahhh (runs away), then later - hmm, can I yoink something else... :twisted:
Even if they are little sods for doing so ;).
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

An "intelligence rating" for each monster with a default rating for each type of monster would probably be the coolest feature. I suppose it's almost impossible to implement, but one can dream and make a wish-list, right?
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

what features would we like RTC to have for AI?
keep your gor coin handy
Magica
Journeyman

Post by Magica »

Is there anyway in RTC to make monsters move as party just like the original DM ?
Magica
Journeyman

Post by Magica »

I have just finished DM on RTC , and I have to thank everyone that was in the development of this great job .

To me I will recommend RTC over any other clone of the game .

I only noticed four differences from the original

1- I couldn't throw the heavy objects ( large stones )
2- The line of food ( and water ) may decrease until it becomes zero ( which gives a stamina damage ), this is not like the original where the food line doesn't become zero ever ( I only need water to train my champions )
3- In a place in level 9 ( 5.23,9 and the surrounding area ) the monsters are stopping and don't follow you , and in level 11 , the two nights of ( 0,4,11 ) will follow you for some distance and then stop as if there is a line they can't pass
4- The monsters don't attack as groups ( worms and mummies )

Thats it , and without those 4 side notices , i wouldn't ever know that it is a clone

It is a great work my friends .
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

3 - actually this is as DM, they will be invisible monster blockers. There are many parts where monsters are stopped from roaming too far.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

well, pretty much everything in this forum has been done, except the 4x4 where monsters in the back row kill ones in the front row. the ai monsters will have is endless, they can do pretty much anything we want. I have run into troubles a bit, like monsters caught on the same tile face the wrong direction attacking each other, it does get a bit messed up, but we can have 4 different monsters on the same tile now, the monsters have ai alignment, they know who is friend and who is enemy, quite a change to previous ai. monsters can be TOO smart now, hehehehe. they can move out of the way with attacks, can duck behind walls, can join the party, leave the party, can be commanded, oh there is so much we can do with the ai in RTC, it's only the beginning.
keep your gor coin handy