help

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
pondpaul
Neophyte

help

Post by pondpaul »

I am new to this and thought I would change a small detail

I know there were only 5 skeleton keys but the are 6 places you could open from levels 8 to 13 so I thought another skeleton key would be a good one to add

so I opened the editor made sure I saved the original to another name and decided to test by adding a skeleton key to the first level.
I right clicked and edit and found the skeleton key and added it saved the file to its original name. and then played the game from the enter so it would be a new game but no skeleton key appeared where I put it.
so I must have done something wrong.

any clues greatfully recieved

regards Paul
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: help

Post by beowuuf »

Which platform were you doing this under?
pondpaul
Neophyte

Post by pondpaul »

Hi
thanks
It is the original dungeonmaster

Paul
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

A bit more info would be good.
which editor did you use? what program executable?

from your description is it probably PC original DM (as far as i am concerned there are quite many original dungeonmaster but only one pc dungeon master)
then you used --> dmute? But I cannot help you with dmute.

(it is not csbwin? for that you needed csbuild to edit the dungeon.dat file)
pondpaul
Neophyte

Post by pondpaul »

Hi
I downloaded from http://www.ragingmole.com/RTC/index.html which created a folder called RTC_V049 and in that folder was a file called RTC editor which allows you to open CSB, DM, DM original or Dm 2
also I play the game from the RTC which allows you to chose whether to play DM dm original CSB or DM2

Hope this helps

regards paul
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You need to save the .txt file as a .txt file, and then in the config.txt file put a line that says:

COMPILE <tab> Modules/DM.txt

Note that '<tab>' there indicates pressing the tab key to create a space between the two parts, and that 'Modules/DM.txt' is just the suggested path and file name you might have.

Edit: I'll move this thread to the RTC editing forum once I know you've seen the reply!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hi pondpaul. It's always good to get into the habit of reading the README.TXT that comes with anything you download -- all good software should have a README. In the case of RTC it gives you the instructions on how to compile a custom dungeon, as noted by Beowuuf above.

"Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for life." :D
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

And once you've compiled the file, you can then remove the command from the Config file since it only needs compiling once :).