Questions from a newbie (RTC)

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Saumun
High Lord

Questions from a newbie (RTC)

Post by Saumun »

Hi all...

Sorry for the lengthy post, but here goes. I discovered RTC a few weeks ago after an old friend reminded me of the fun we had playing DM on the Atari ST. Unfortunately (due to a catastrophic computer failure) i never got to play CSB beyond the very beginning (Supplies for the quick room). After downloading RTC it was my firm intention to play DM then CSB, however, after finishing DM i got rather distacted by the editor. I'm now at the stage where my dungeon is 99% complete. I have tested it bit by bit, but have not compiled it yet. So... To the questions.

1) I have created new characters, and also new bitmaps for them. Are the bitmaps incorporated into the RTC file? I suppose what i'm asking is... If someone wanted to play my dungeon, would my character bitmaps automatically appear in my hall of champions, or would the player have to download them? I saved them in the DM portrait file.

2) Is there a place to upload new user dungeons on this site or would i have to create a site with the file available for download?

The dungeon is a straight up Fuse Chaos, start at the top and work down dungeon. 16 levels depending how you count it (17 if you include the hall of champions). It's pretty much like the original DM (some of the early puzzles were borrowed almost directly, though i have used some monsters and items from CSB). I got a bit more confident after i learned to use relays and counters.

Anyway... i digress. I would be extremely grateful for answers to the aforementioned.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: Questions from a newbie (RTC)

Post by Ameena »

1 - As long as you've done the "Add bitmap" thingy in the editor to set that picture as the bitmap you want, when you compile the dungeon this info will be compiled along with it so anyone playing will see whatever bitmaps you set for those characters.
2 - I don't think there is a specific place to upload custom dungeons, no, but if you don't have a space already set up for yourself somewhere online then I'm sure there will be people here willing to host it for you :).
Hope these answers help - fortunately your questions were on-technical enough that I could just leap straight in with answers of my own and therefore come across as vaguely intelligent (well, provided you do find the info useful) ;).
One suggestion is that you get at least one person to playtest your dungeon before "publically opening it", as it were - this way if there's any bugs you've missed during your own testing, they will hopefully be discovered by the playtester(s) for you to iron out before letting everyone else dive in and finding they have to restart when something really obscure happens and they can't complete it or something ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Oops, was busy at work or I would have remembered to reply.

Welcome the forums, sorry I didn't say 'hey' when you posted before.

For 2), if you send your dungeon to beowuuf@yahoo.com I can host it through DM.com itself
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

beowuuf, now you can also upload custom dungeons on the encyclopaedia (if the file size is not more than 2 MB).
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ah, then easier to do it that way!

Although still best to create a thread on the forums to say it's done!
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Good stuff... Thanks for the replies.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

:D Welcome to the forums, Saumun! Hello!
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
rdbrewer
Neophyte

Post by rdbrewer »

I'm new too, and I'm here because I'm stuck.

You know the trap door on the first level of Skullkeep, the one that disappears and reappears really fast with a flash of lightning when you stand on the floor plate? All the solutions I've seen have referenced using a scout map recovered either on one of the tables outside or in an alcove inside. I have two: the basic model and the one called "Magic Map." Neither of these have the capability to "send an eye to X location and shoot a zo spell" and yada yada yada.

What's going on? Is there a bug that gave me the wrong map?
rdbrewer
Neophyte

Post by rdbrewer »

I'm new too, and I'm here because I'm stuck.

You know the trap door on the first level of Skullkeep, the one that disappears and reappears really fast with a flash of lightning when you stand on the floor plate? All the solutions I've seen have referenced using a scout map recovered either on one of the tables outside or in an alcove inside. I have two: the basic model and the one called "Magic Map." Neither of these have the capability to "send an eye to X location and shoot a zo spell" and yada yada yada.

What's going on? Is there a bug that gave me the wrong map?