Starvation

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Starvation

Post by beowuuf »

Is it my faulty memory, or in the original DM lack of food not compromise you any more than half stamina?

Similarly, lack of water?

And it was only the combination of the two that would drive you to no stamina, so without constant potions, you would be dead?

I just ask to make sure I'm not imagining the difference in RTC where lack of food kills you passively if you stand around, or actively if you move anywhere
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: Starvation

Post by Ameena »

I thought that if either your Food or Water bar reached zero, you died? I dunno if that's 'cause it actually happened to one of us (either me or my dad) back on the Atari, or whether we just assumed that, though...
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I'm pretty sure when I played Conflux II with the Mal guild, I let food go to nothing and existed on water and stamina potions for a while...

Eh, at some point I'll dig out a game on PC and CSBwin and see what happens. Just interested to see if this was a major departure from original DM or not.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yeah, I think RTC food depletion is pretty severe, for what it's worth.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

I don't remember exactly, but I think Beo is right.

As far as I can remember, in the original DM, it's something like this:

- if you run out of food (food bar: zero, water bar: blue), your stamina starts to drop; you can recover it by sleeping, but never to more than 1/2 of maximum stamina points. If you then start running out of water (food bar: zero, water bar: yellow), you won't be able to recover stamina by sleeping anymore - so you'll die.

- it's similar (although may be not the same) with water: if you run out of water (food bar: brown, water bar: zero... or red in this case, I'm not quite sure - it might be more severe than with food, I can't remember), your stamina starts to drop. You can recover it by sleeping but never to more than 1/2. Then, if you start running out of food (food: yellow, water: zero / or red), you won't be able to recover your stamina with sleeping and you'll die.

But my memory can cheat me...
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

That was exactly my understanding, one lack = half stamina, both lacking = no stamina.

Especially with a spellcaster with high mana / wisdom, sleep can be fatal, but you need the mana to keep yourself topped up.... not a nice place to be! Luckily a single water source can usually cure you of that condition, and very few dungeons ever get you in that position