Importing from DM to CSB

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
tontonfred
Neophyte

Importing from DM to CSB

Post by tontonfred »

Hi,

almost 20 years after banishing Lord Chaos for the first time, I discovered that quite a few people were also nostalgic of Dungeon Master, but I had never thought I would find such brilliant remakes and custom dungeons still thriving after such a long time ! Wanting to replay this classic, I chose RTC because of the additional features it provides to the engine.

Last night, I finally fused Chaos, and now want to import my endgame party to CSB. Problem is, I seem to be able to only import saved games from before the end. After completing the game, RTC creates (or updates) a DM.RTC file, but it does not appear in the Make New Adventure dialog, only .sv* files are accepted. Is there a way to import the party as it is after the final fight ?

Thanks a lot, and congratulations to George for such an impressive port !

Fred
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Re: Importing from DM to CSB

Post by Trantor »

Welcome to the forums! I hope you enjoy your stay here! :)

I think you are correct that you can only import characters from a savegame before the final fight. This is just the way it was done in original DM, so RTC is faithful to FTL's original in this regard. If you save the game right before fusing Chaos, it shouldn't be much of a problem.
tontonfred
Neophyte

Post by tontonfred »

That's what I did, I used a save from just before the final fight. My party was apparently a bit weak at around 85% efficiency (around adept level for their specialty, but at least journeyman/craftsman in all skills), and RTC scaled the dungeon to craftsman level (nice feature). It IS a big step-up from DM difficulty-wise, and I understand why it is advised to tackle it before attempting Conflux (got thoroughly thrashed when I fooled around with this one).

Fred
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

Welcome to the forums, Fred!

RTC (and other ports) are thruly miracles, a thousands thanx to the people who spent their time for writing these jewels..!
If you`re bored with playing DM and CSB on RTC, there are also a lot of customs games. As for RTC, I recommend you Surgicial Strike ( http://www.ojnk.net/dm/sstrike_2_2.zip ), Tower of Champions ( http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G0SPAC8C ), and a dozens of Zed5Duke`s dungeons (generally here): http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 31&t=23916 .And a lot of others.

There are also great dungeons for CSBwin.
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Welcome to the forums! Glad you found like minded obsessives ;)
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

salut tontonfred, bienvenue chez les fous :)
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

I'll add that if you're going to play Surgical Strike, you should download a copy of RTC 0.37 and play it on there. It has more than a few known issues on modern versions.
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

Tonton Fred: to play Conflux, you need to be VERY patient, and save a lot in the beginning. Also, try to take only 1 or 2 characters.

Finishing DM,CSB and Surgical Strike is probably best before entering Conflux. Conflux contains more than 200 hours gameplay worth, and is almost impossible to visit completely, unless you're utterly insane (=compètement désaxé et vivant dans un monde parallèle).
What Is Your Quest ?